The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mature Content
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Mature Content Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best games were always the ones where the relationships between PCs and PCs, and PCs and NPCs, were the main focus.

Yeah, there was sex, but it was "Okay, I sleep with her," instead of the creepy alternative.

I personally think the whole idea that Jedi can't get married is... messed up. I mean, that's what Episode III was about!

And, man, it would be cool if, in The Empire Strikes Back game (if that movie was the transcript of a game), Leia saved Han Solo's life by admitting that she was in love with him. "Okay, Leia says, 'I love you,' so you can roll +4D to survive the carbon freezing!"

"Sweet," Harrison says. "I say, 'I know.'"

It's a pity d6 doesn't really have any rules for one of my favourite parts of the movies.

Oooh, and I had this one Jedi Master who was telling his Padawan (who was an 18 year old with no life experience) to "Get out there and experience things. That's the only way you'll be able to feel the Force. Living in a cave, by yourself - that won't help. The Force is life, and you need to breathe it."
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always loved the "I know" line. Even when he's not sure he's going to live to see her again, he still has to be a smooth pimp.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the "I know" line - like many other of the great Star Wars lines - was improvised by the actors. The script said something like Han says - "I love you, too" - but after a couple takes it wasn't feeling right and Harrison was given the go ahead to just say something Han would say and that is what Harrison came up with "I know". [this is according to extra material at the end of DVDs and stuff]
Vennom
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the one to insert the following idea or stance.

Who says that the "bottled" emotions and "hands off" approach to love & affection as taught or suggested by many/much of the elder or master Jedi is truly the best approach to being a JEDI? If they truly had being a balanced force user/Jedi figured out, there would'nt have been(..and be) the same reoccuring large scale issues within the order. One example would be the various Jedi civil wars and in-fighting. Attempting to "bottle" your nature and its reactions to life isnt within our real world a healthy mental approach to life or issues. Actually, such long term practices usually create a wide variety of mental health problems. And in extreme cases create a highly "troubled" and/or dangerous person, or some-one so socailly damaged that they cant(..or have extreme difficulty) handle or fuction within the simplest social settings or situations. Perhaps the long standing philosophy(s) of what makes a sound Jedi are just flat out and in all ways broken. At least where and when it applies to those within the human race, it is not only broken...but damaging to members of the species. Emotions, and the ability to express/share them are an essential component to sound living and health within social creatures. This includes social interactions such as talking, touching and emotional bonding. Even social creatures that are considered "much simpler" than man have been and are greatly damaged when prevented from or removed from being social with others(..not just with members of the same race/species). An example of such a creature would be horses.

Its something to think on, and perhaps explore within your Star Wars game or campaign.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and agree with a lot of what Vennom said, but I think that while, it is true that "bottling" ones emotions is not the healthy way to go about dealing with life, I don't think that is what the Jedi were teaching (or should be teaching). True their mantra contains phrases like "there is no emotion, only peace" but I think the terms used bely the facts. The facts are that jedi do have emotions and they do express them - they have friendship and fondness, dislikes and annoyances, etc etc - but what they should teach (or maybe do teach with different terminology) is to "bridle" your emotions - not bottle. As per you horse comment - a bridle is used to control, steer, and not let get out of control very powerful forces (be they horses or emotions). That was my take on it.

I mean, sure, Anakin loved Padmae with a passionate true love, but if he had somehow thought of union with the force (death) as not being something to fear, not being something that will separate but rather something that actually reunites all of us (the force is in around and binds us all) then his knowledge of the force would have allowed him to bridle his passions to prevent him from going off the deep end.

That being said, I come down on the side of Jedi being allowed to marry and all that, they - like everyone else in marriage - just have to be in control of their emotions - not deny them. And marriage sure gives you plenty of practice at controling your emotions, boy does it Smile
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again, the thread WON'T FRELLING DIE!!!

Akari, thou art a naughty, naughty grrrl!

My first living memory is from when I was three years old. It involved a tiny CR-90 being chased across the movie screen by a massive, mile-long ISD. And no, I'm not joking. That's my first memory in this life.

I almost never have an opportunity to get sexual with my characters in a game because I almost never play humans and I usually play a weird and/or uncommon species. For instance, in one of the PbPs I'm currently in, I'm playing a Shard, which is a crystalline species with no concept of gender. In another, I'm playing a 3.5 meter tall Esoomian, and even if he's hung like a hamster, proportionally speaking, that's still gonna hurt most smaller species.

The original question regarding promiscuity focussed solely on the force sensitive, not actual Jedi. Promiscuity is not in and of itself wrong. Indeed, many species rely upon it to ensure the survival of their kind. The notion that it is wrong is mostly tied up in our (predominantly) Judeo-Christian societally-imposed mindset.

Viewing sex as simple fun is not wrong.

Refusing to take responsibility for the results of said viewpoint IS wrong.

If you have sex with a thousand men, women, or whatever trips your trigger, and no one is hurt by it, then you've done nothing wrong.

If you have sex with one person, produce a child, and refuse to take responsibility for that child's welfare, you have done something wrong.

Oh, and Akari, just imagine what a Gungan could do with a tongue like that... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
And once again, the thread WON'T FRELLING DIE!!!

My first living memory is from when I was three years old. It involved a tiny CR-90 being chased across the movie screen by a massive, mile-long ISD. And no, I'm not joking. That's my first memory in this life.

I almost never have an opportunity to get sexual with my characters in a game because I almost never play humans and I usually play a weird and/or uncommon species. For instance, in one of the PbPs I'm currently in, I'm playing a Shard, which is a crystalline species with no concept of gender. In another, I'm playing a 3.5 meter tall Esoomian, and even if he's hung like a hamster, proportionally speaking, that's still gonna hurt most smaller species.

The original question regarding promiscuity focussed solely on the force sensitive, not actual Jedi. Promiscuity is not in and of itself wrong. Indeed, many species rely upon it to ensure the survival of their kind. The notion that it is wrong is mostly tied up in our (predominantly) Judeo-Christian societally-imposed mindset.

Viewing sex as simple fun is not wrong.

Refusing to take responsibility for the results of said viewpoint IS wrong.

If you have sex with a thousand men, women, or whatever trips your trigger, and no one is hurt by it, then you've done nothing wrong.

If you have sex with one person, produce a child, and refuse to take responsibility for that child's welfare, you have done something wrong.

Oh, and Akari, just imagine what a Gungan could do with a tongue like that... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I am in complete agreement. While I understand the Gungan comment, that is gross. They are not an attractive species and aren't pleasant to look at like Twi-Lek women are.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gungan comment was intended to provoke and 'ewwwwww' reaction. Very Happy

Incidentally, I now recall the perfect example of Sex in Star Wars (even if it wasn't actually IN Star Wars).

Kaylee: We're goin' on a year now, I ain't had nothin' 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries...

Mal: Oh GOD! I can't know that!

Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more...
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Laughing

Yes, if only Lucas had hired the Firefly / Serenity writers to work on the last trilogy they could have been truely legendary! Lucas is ideas, not dialogue...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:

Yeah, but we LIKE her that way! Razz
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camero wrote:
LOL

Laughing

Yes, if only Lucas had hired the Firefly / Serenity writers to work on the last trilogy they could have been truely legendary! Lucas is ideas, not dialogue...

Agreed. The dialogue in that show is nothing short of brilliant. Every line is well written and executed perfectly by the actors.

Where that show had a mastery of dialogue like no other show ever produced, George is probably the worst dialogue writer in the business.
DrevontheJedi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd add a quick story to this thread, seeing as this memory pops in my mind all the time when I come across situations like this. In Kageryu's game Fall of the Republic that I participated in, the gand's character rerolled a Devaronian Gambler. I always went out of my way to try and hit on the NPC Crrissann the Fargul chick. Hehe, I know I was a human Jedi, but I dont know...she was hot BUT of course she blew me off.

Then one session near the end of our gaming group dispersed,I think she tried to give me the hint when Kageryu gave the Devoronian player a scene where he had the "most amazing night of his life with a woman that did things to him he never thought possible." And Kageryu went into more detail just cause he knew my character was obsessed with her. Haha, and the devoronian player was loving the whole scene. He later went on to try and buy her things like a collar with a bell and catnip. Haha, it was some funny moments.
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
The Gungan comment was intended to provoke and 'ewwwwww' reaction. Very Happy

Incidentally, I now recall the perfect example of Sex in Star Wars (even if it wasn't actually IN Star Wars).

Kaylee: We're goin' on a year now, I ain't had nothin' 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries...

Mal: Oh GOD! I can't know that!

Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more...

That is a good line... and I know this isn't a D&D forum but I REALLY can't believe I got to 7 pages without anyone quoting, "If there are girls there I want to DO them." And if you don't recognize that quote you fail as a roleplayer. Laughing
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a very mature game; which is understandable because presently it's kind of Star Wars -Sons of Anarchy edition. And anyone who's watched that show for any length of time will know what I mean.

The characters are mandalorians who are out to make credits. They have their own code, but many criminal activities fit into that worldview as fine and fair game.

I have a system whereby stress points build up. This stress can be counteracted by things like alcohol, spice (we all know it's a euphemism for narcotics) and sexual activity amongst other vices. So there is a clear incentive to find and partner up when the characters get an evening of relaxation.

The actual procedure is a fairly simple dice rolling mechanic, but sexual situations can be given enough lead-up so that we know pretty well whether the dice will be standing in for a loving co-mingling or a sweaty-steamy segment from Wild Planet.

Another mature topic that just came up;

On the planet the players are on, they are often running protection for criminal elements and extortion for businesses what want to avoid trouble from the worse criminal elements.

These various gangs control commodities like narcotics and the sex trade, so the players have often worked to help protect gangs from other gangs as well as work against them.

Recently my players have decided that they might be able to make an income stream by seeking out and offering protection to various independent street prostitutes and some low-level pimps who aren't affiliated with any gang.

'It's hard out here for a pimp'

So naturally, as I run a very open sandbox type game where I allow the players to explore just about any avenue that they can, this prompted me to craft a basic system to determine how they do at finding and recruiting such street people, how much credits they can be bringing in on a steady basis and of course the complications that arise that will require their actions to keep things running, retaliate for outside actions, and react to street level events.

As Star Wars is by default PG-13 and after asking mod Whill for his advice, I've decided to self-censor so as not to upset anyone who might be offended.

Instead, anyone who'd like to PM me, I can let you know my system for your own use, or if you might be able to suggest an interesting addition.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea this topic existed...

That being said, I had a thought on the same general topic a few weeks back.

I use a lot of crossovers to fill in more details of the SWU, specifically, in this case, Firefly, which is a relatively simple conversion. However, the PG rating of the SWU makes it somewhat awkward to port across the concept of Companions. While there is no actual nudity in the Firefly series, the sexuality is much more obvious there than in the SWU.

So how do you handle sensitive topics like sex and prostitution without affecting the "feel" of the SWU? Do you just assume that all the naughty bits happen "off-camera", as it were? Or do you just damn the torpedos and roll right over Star Wars' PG rating?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: