The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sarlacc interior
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Sarlacc interior Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Sarlacc interior Reply with quote

Hi there!
Ever since I was little I always wondered "what does the rest of the Sarlacc look like?" Then I read the Tatoonine technical manual. Later I read the short story about Fett's escape and I then wondered, "What the heck is the anatomy of this thing?"

Well, I took my info from the Fett story and tried to do some concept art. What do YOU guys think the inside of this thing should look like, given the little info we have thus far?

I'm leaning towards the bottom one. Fett was held in a secondary stomach beneath the main chamber. My thoughts on the anatomy were based on efficiency. Secondary stomachs similar to "intestines" that wrap around and beneath the main chamber would provide optimum nutrient absorption.

The book says that Fett could see faint light coming from down the passage that he was held in. This came from the main chamber connected to secondary stomachs by "little openings at the bottom," as the book says. Given that Fett thought he was in a cave tunnel suggests to me that the secondary stomach he was held in was indeed horizontal instead of vertical, thus bolstering my theory on a "wrapping" of stomachs, connected to the base of the main chamber.

Nasty Huh? Imagine being kept alive intraveniously for for 1000 years.

Back in the day, I GM'd a game where the PCs had to descend into this thing to rescue a scientist with vital knowledge. They just used vaccume-sealed power suits, coated with a novacain/numbing solution to immobilize the Sarlacc's internal cillia tendrils. Later they dropped a few thermal detonators into it's guts after spraying the inside with napalm. Nothing but chunks, baby!

Comments? Suggestions?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very nice. Interesting detail. It would help if you added a scale somewhere.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I like the second one best to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a side view drawing somewhere of the Sarlaac. If I find it, I'll post where it's at. Might have even been in the original Star Wars Technical Journal...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a side view drawing somewhere of the Sarlaac. If I find it, I'll post where it's at. Might have even been in the original Star Wars Technical Journal...
You're right : Technical Journal of the Planet Tatooine, p78 Wink

Exoviper : good work for the interior design ! 8)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOYAH! I KNEW I'd seen that somewhere...
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Krapou!

For a further note on Sarlacci, I was reading this journal with a lizard skin cover (some kind of creature journal for Star Wars but I don't recall the name), and it said that Sarlacci have the capability to migrate! Yeah, they slowly use their anchor appendages as legs and crawl along the surface until they can find a new place to burrow. Imagine going on a walk and wittnessing that. I bet you'd hear screams coming out of its mouth and everything. Talk about messed up!

There also was info that they reproduce by launching spores into space.

There were some interesting pictures in there. One picture had a smaller Sarlacc feeding off of the main body of a larger one like a parasite. There was also one pic of a Krayt Dragon digging up a Sarlacc and eating it (pretty funny looking). It stayed true to the anatomy, but when dead, it looked like a dead chicken, minus the head. Confused Confused Confused

If anybody has any more info to contribute, post away.....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess then, it's probably safe to say that it also tastes like chicken... Twisted Evil
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I've been noodling this for a bit...I think I'll crank out a couple sketches of the inside. Primarily the main chamber and secondary stomachs, equipped with those nasty cillia and all. I don't think I wanna draw any people partially digested.....

...Then again, mabey I will.
Twisted Evil

Feel free to submit some of your own interpretations as well!
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, here we go. This is just a little 1 hour inked sketch with some photoshop screen tone. I thought I'd toss in (a somewhat disproportioned) Boba Fett. I used Blue lead, a .02 micron pen and a Sharpie marker on 8.5x11 paper.

If this were in color, the book said the interior of the secondary stomach was grey/green. The interior was like a cave and the tentacles grew shorter at the base and ceiling. Fett's armor was unaffected but the tentacles managed to probe around and get through his fabric (which dissolved quickly). The burning on his skin never stopped and ultimatly disfigured him horribly.

Fett got out by planting his foot against the floor and pushing up, which triggered a backup switch on his jetpack. It detonated due to earlier damage. The blast set Fett and the entire corridor on fire, confusing the sarlacc's tentacles. Fett suffered a broken arm and massive heat burns. Unslinging his grenade launcher he blasted his way out through the side, disrobed and swam through the sand, relying only on the air left in his helmet.

This guy redefines the term "Die Hard."
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the upcoming "Complete Visual Dictionary" will feature a complete schematic of the Sarlacc's interior. It seems to be quite nice, and also respecting the previous depiction in the Tech Journal.

Definetly a book I'll want to buy, since I have none of the previous Visual Dictionaries. I'm kinda glad I didn't purchase those books, as well as the Location books, so now I can buy these "Complete" books without guilt.
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got a link to the visual dictionary?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a few months away from release.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20060421.html

Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! That pic right there puts an end to at least a decade of curiousity in my life! Thanks Gry!

That's some nastiness right there. I mean just LOOK at the thing. Would there happen to be any photo-enhancment software out there to allow for a closer look? Mabey I could toy around with photoshop or something......or just wait until the book comes out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming out in a couple of months, and I'm definetly getting it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: