The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Planning Every Detail vs. Winging It
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Planning Every Detail vs. Winging It Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If forced to choose between the extremes, do you prefer:
planning nearly every detail of an adventure/campaign
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
to wing it, with little to no preparation
62%
 62%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 29

Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Planning Every Detail vs. Winging It Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from other GMs about their experiences and/or preferences with the two extremes of GM preparedness: total or none.

I ask because my GM style has evolved into an almost-totally-prepared,
borderline-control-freak style which -- while not disliked by my players -- does result in a lot of prep time and, occasionally, headaches for me. And, of course, there's the common phenomenon of developing a whole set of locations and NPCs that the PCs, on account of their creative thinking, completely bypass.

Recently it has been proposed to me that I try a campaign in which I basically wing it all the time, and consciously prepare as little as possible in advance. I'm not uneasy about the notion -- it's what I did when I first started GMing, and I can improvise well -- but I'm curious about which one I'll prefer after all these years of being accustomed to hyper-preparedness. I'm also curious about what other GMs have done, perhaps with some specific anecdotes.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I stand somewhere in between. I find completely winging an adventure to be too troublesome. It weighs a lot on the GM and it usually results in a "thinner" adventure. On the other hand, I hate fully scripted adventures. If the GM plans EVERYTHING, then he'll be resistant to allowing the PCs to skew it in a different direction.

What I do is plan with some amount of depth some key points. Be it encounters, NPCs or plot points. If you know what's the driving force between each NPC and what key events must happen, then you can wing the in-betweens, and allow some freedom even in the key points. I'll only map a few very crucial areas where I imagine battles will take place, and I only stat very important NPCs.

Of course, on the preparedness extreme, there was one time when I had a few months to prepare an adventure, and I created a full intro 3d animation for it. Complete with text crawl and a few minutes of animation of the PCs shuttle in action, linking directly into the adventure.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going in between. I make an rough outline, really more of a list, of certain goals I want to accomplish throughout the adventure (ex.: smuggle load of bacta from the Rebellion to the Trianii Resistance) and sketch out a few NPC's, and then I wing it from there. If the PC's do something where I need an NPC I haven't prepped, I leaf through the templates in Heroes and Rogues and use one of those, and I handwave their rolls. I figure this gives the players definite goals to accomplish, but also leaves enough room for side trips and what not.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnal, I'm somewhere between that as well. I plan out very specific encounters in detail, as well as my storyline. But the rest is "winged" as needed. I feel that is the best approach. At least it works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, EVERYONE prefers to be between. But the poll asks if you were FORCED to an extreme, which would you choose?

I went with winging it, as if I have every detail planned iether the palyers won't have fun as there are no big options, or it will all go to hell if something unsuspected happens.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on the middle of the road approach. It lets you as GM have the fewest headaches during preparation, and reduces the time you must spend getting the adventure ready. But to completely wing it (and be completely effective) you have to possess an improvisational ability level just this side of God Himself, and since I don't personally know anybody with mad skillz like that, the end result is indeed a seeming thinness to the adventure, and it can also seem to the players as a very thrown-together piece, which then makes the players feel like they're not worth the effort of a well-planned out campaign. So I'd recommend going in the middle, with a good general outline, excellent stats for anyone the party might encounter (see ANY of Gry's Stat books), and plenty of patience and flexibility as your players (if they're worth their salt) take you all over the galaxy and back!

However, if you do have the time (and the ability), I, as a player, have ALWAYS enjoyed and appreciated those times when the GM went above and beyond to create extras like Gry mentioned with the 3D intro, animation, and the works! Efforts like that can really help set the mood for the rest of the night, if not the entire campaign, and are truly to be commended.

Makes me wish I were in Gry's gaming group... Kudos to you, dude!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that adventure with the intro was a historical event. It was played over six years ago, and my players still talk about it as the finest ever (although the Fall of Coruscant, which I GMed last year, also claims that title now).

My players didn't have the slightest idea I had prepared that intro. So when I gathered them all around the PC, they didn't know what to expect. When the Star Wars theme started playing and they noticed that the crawl text was talking about THEIR exploits and adventures, they went crazy. And when the text faded and they realized there was still more, with a brief scene of their shuttle exiting hyperspace, being hit by an asteroid and falling into a nearby planet, they were all very excited and already fully in character. As the video stopped, I immediately started, without giving them any time to process it all: "So, you're crashing on an unknown planet"....

And on top of the intro, the adventure itself was very special, with a full commando operation to free a planet from a military dictator. And at the very end, the players realized they had been used by the Empire, the dictatorship they just helped overthrow was a rebel one which had just toppled the previous Imperial rule. The players were incredibly angry at that turn of events, but they really enjoyed the surprise of it.

They all developed a very intense hatred for the Imperial villainess who used them, which set the basis for a great long-term adventure, which only ended a few months ago, with the death of said villainess.

Sorry to bring this all up....

..and, Skyler, you're welcome in my group.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If forced one way or the other, i would have to say i prefer to be a 'write out as much as possible' type of person.

Some 'winging it, i can handle. But the few times i tried to do the entire session that way, let alone multiple sessions, i had problems.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If forced one way or the other, i would have to say i prefer to be a 'write out as much as possible' type of person.

Some 'winging it, i can handle. But the few times i tried to do the entire session that way, let alone multiple sessions, i had problems.
I'm with Wolvie on this. All of my planned out games have had 99% success in the "fun for everyone" department. I think my on-the-fly games have been like maybe 50% successful.

Worst case scenario is if the PCs choose to split up, without proper preparations my time allocation between running the subgroups will be so bad that I'll lose the guys I'm not GMing for the time being to other things in the room, like the TV.

Clearly I need more practice in winging it. Wink
Utinni
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, any game I've played in where there was no preperation at all has failed terribly. I vote for middle of the road. Too much prep and the GM runs the risk of alienating his players. No prep and the GM can really blow it.

Sounds like I could learn alot of Gry though! How do I get in his game!

I've played around a little with doing an intro in PowerPoint, but I never seem to have the time to do it correctly. No time means I won't be in the overly prepared category though! Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yeah, that adventure with the intro was a historical event. It was played over six years ago, and my players still talk about it as the finest ever (although the Fall of Coruscant, which I GMed last year, also claims that title now).

My players didn't have the slightest idea I had prepared that intro. So when I gathered them all around the PC, they didn't know what to expect. When the Star Wars theme started playing and they noticed that the crawl text was talking about THEIR exploits and adventures, they went crazy. And when the text faded and they realized there was still more, with a brief scene of their shuttle exiting hyperspace, being hit by an asteroid and falling into a nearby planet, they were all very excited and already fully in character. As the video stopped, I immediately started, without giving them any time to process it all: "So, you're crashing on an unknown planet"....

And on top of the intro, the adventure itself was very special, with a full commando operation to free a planet from a military dictator. And at the very end, the players realized they had been used by the Empire, the dictatorship they just helped overthrow was a rebel one which had just toppled the previous Imperial rule. The players were incredibly angry at that turn of events, but they really enjoyed the surprise of it.

They all developed a very intense hatred for the Imperial villainess who used them, which set the basis for a great long-term adventure, which only ended a few months ago, with the death of said villainess.

Sorry to bring this all up....

..and, Skyler, you're welcome in my group.

That's what I'm talking about! If you have the time to do an intro even CLOSE to approaching that, you've already set the tone you want. Not giving them time to gush over it until later thrusts them right up into the heart of the action from the get-go. And the result was that the group STILL talks about that adventure with awe in their voices. And if you pull that kind of trick off, you can then maybe get away with a little less in the way of storyline preperation, because that kind of draw will cause the players to think out part of the story for you, and think about how they can fit their actions into the intro you've played, which will only work FOR you.

Don't apologize for bringing this up, Gry! It's always cool to hear about things others have done to make the gaming experience more satisfying for all involved.

And thank you for the welcome! If I ever make it down that way, you KNOW I'll be looking you up! Wink
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself, if forced to choose between the two extremes, would go with winging it all the way. All I need to truly be prepared is a very good understanding of the rules, and some concrete changes that I think might better help me simulate the environment.

Pretty much, I can make an entire adventure or story up on the fly. Plus, since I now have nothing needed to devote to preparing the adventure, I have time for other things, like maybe the adventure itself.

But I do enjoy preparing.
to finance my 'vette!
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically have a rough outline, with a few notes for things that I consider essential to not forget, and then fill it all in as I go along.

I'm much more of a "winger".

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that I have a different approach. First all I have no problem completely winging an adventure but there is something to be said for preparation. For the adventures that I run most of them are based around a basic outline and I improvise as to what the players to. But when it comes down to my universe I spend time creating and developing places, people and adventures. I have adventures planned for different areas and certain events. I know that at some point in time I can introduce things I have planned maybe months ago. I personally try to run as much time as I can in my own drawn up systems and planets as I find it gives me much more freedom as a GM because I am not limited to sourcebooks and the such. So to answer the question on any one adventure I am probably 75-80% winging it but over the course of my campaign I would say my that most of the backround info is probably about 2/3 planned out and about 1/3 made up on the go.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea, and will have notes about major events, NPCs ect, but wing it, because my PCs will never ever go where suggested. Damn pain in the neck when you play with people who are always trying to out think each other.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: