The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Planning Every Detail vs. Winging It
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Planning Every Detail vs. Winging It Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If forced to choose between the extremes, do you prefer:
planning nearly every detail of an adventure/campaign
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
to wing it, with little to no preparation
62%
 62%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 29

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what makes for that fierce competition to get more CPs out of you at the end of the adventure... Wink
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, but it also makes for some very strange plans. In fact I don't think I've seen a plan that they have formulated as a team ever come to pass.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a detail freak. My goal is for every session to contain three adventure hooks for the PCs to follow.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, I treat my campaigns like novels. I usually sit down and write a very brief summary... a beginning... the meat of the story... and a potential ending (usually a good one and a bad one). Of course the adventure gets molded as we go and sometimes ends up in places I hadn't expected. Other than that, I try to keep the campaign moving along at a brisk pace, which usually means less detail overall.
gbjazzman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write outlines and NPC stats and such and what I want to happen, but my players are so paranoid about every little thing, that things rarely happen as they are planned.

I mean, jeez, you launch one bantha at 'em from a low earth orbit and then they think that everyone is out to get them Confused
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying!

Friggin' whiners... Razz
Tenaris the Dashade
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I usually tend to whing it and come up with information on the fly. I realized a while ago that sometimes there were slight inconsistencies and sometimes a lack of detail. To combat this, I now invite the players to take notes during the sessions (I also take notes). After the session, I write up a few pages (usually between 3 and 10, depending on the length of the session) that sometimes reads like a novel detailing the adventure. Not only is this fun for the players to read (they really enjoy it, actually, and sometimes we collaborate on it), but it gives me a chance to solidify details about things I might have glazed over during the session. It also serves to get the players excited for the next adventure. They were all itching to play after that ten pager, which left them spaced without vac suits (they managed to survive).

Every once in a while, I'll also provide the hook for the next adventure in the "novelization" too, such as the emergency "red" light in their ship going off and them ending up drifting in space.
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had this dream... I'd sit down, with my laptop and fist-full-o-dice before my eager players, and on my screen was a complete network of an adventure. Plot hooks, choices, challenges, consequences, all of it a network that had all the different options laid out before me.

In reality... not so much. I do find the more I have planed, the better off the game is. I've usually got a handful of characters statted up and a 'skeleton' of the game. When I'm really on the ball I have pictures for illustration and a block of speech that I want just right so I script up.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing it. Every time, except for those rare published adventure sessions. I find it's more fun and free flowing that way. Keeps me on my toes.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried in SW, but when i used to play MERP, i preferred to prepare every detail i needed (i used to run very intricate adventures...)
Ras
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends what kind of group you play with. I had one group that would basically follow everything exactly as one would plan it. Doing everything that was most obvious. I've also had other groups that would do the exact opposite of what is most obvious.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mixture of the two styles. Basically, I plan the plot line. I figure out how to get players together, and I figure on a basic ending for the story.

In the middle I try and plan a few stops or steps along the way to keep them where the story basically needs to be. But I react to their actions to fill in the details. This has always been my style and it has worked for 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: