The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Maximum Actions Per Round
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Maximum Actions Per Round Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Maximum Actions Per Round Reply with quote

I have a house rule that I have just started using that states a character can only make as many actions in a round as per the number before the D in dexterity. I believe that your base dexterity shows your potential for being fast. In my rule that also includes reaction rolls. My logic behind this is a combat round is 5 seconds and that is not alot of time to perform say 10 actions. That only leaves 1/2 second per action. To make it more logical if Player X has 3D dexterity he can make 3 actions in that round (or 6 actions if a force point is spent) If Player X decides to shoot three times that only leaves just 1.67 to find the target, aim and shoot. There is so much going on that Player X would not be able to concentrate on dodging. My players like this rule as it actually makes sense and it adds a new level of thinking and planning when going into combat.

As a side note to this I also assign multiple action penalties different. Everyone gets there first action. The reason for this is because you cant realistically plan out all 5 seconds in advance you react as to what is happening. Example is Player X again with 3D dex is in combat. He thinks he can take out his enemy in one shot so why declare more. He shoots and misses which takes 1.67 seconds. He decides I need to shoot again or else I will die. Shoots again and this time he hits and he eliminates the target. Under the normal rules he has to declare he is shooting twice and takes each shot at a -1D penalty. Under my system if player X has 6D blaster he knows he should be able to make a moderate difficulty roll fairly easily but in a fluke he misses. He should not be penalized the remaining 3.33 of the combat round because he only declared one action.

Let me know what you think. I am waiting to hear the feedback on this one.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this rule. I never did like the decleration (sp?) phase of the round thing.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you use both of those ideas in conjunction, it would probably work with little potential for abuse. Using only one aspect, especially the last aspect, it just asking for munchkins to come out of the woodwork to play in your games.

I like the limit of the actions based on the DEX. I always had a problem with people getting something like 8D in Blaster and declaring 7 shots in a round. I used something similar.

Normally I wouldn't advocate doing the latter part of what you propose. I did that when I first started running Star Wars (back when I didn't know the rules) and it was troublesome. However, coupling it with the limit of DEX, you won't have the machine gun PCs mowing down all of the bad guys with as much ease, so it may work.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And adam was worried that people would tear him to shreds. Told ya we weren't hostile. Very Happy

Anyway, I like this rule, but not sure if I'd use it. I do think I like the idea of more limiting actions in combat, but in combat 5 seconds is actually a LOT of time. In combat, a single second is enough to empty three shots from a handgun, or lay down supressing fire from an automatic rifle, 10 bullets covering a 30 degree arc.

...basically, I am on the fence with this rule. In one form of logic and experience it makes sense. In another form of logic and experience it does not.
My mind feels sufficiently challenged by this, and it must work. Smile
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i do kind of like the initial # of actions to dex rule, i don't agree with the getting rid of the declariation phase, and making it easier to do other actions.
Taliesin_Bardwolf
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weel, I like very much the first part of your rule, that of max Dex. I was searching for something like this, and first I thought in putting a fixed limit for multiple actions, as 3 o 4, but I like more this system in wwhich the limit depends on your Dex.

About the second part, I prefer to continue applying normal penalizations for multiple actions, cause I think they make the game more balanced.
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the point about how, at the start of a combat round, you're not really thinking about how many actions you're going to undertake -- necessarily. Sometimes you are, I'd imagine (of course, not having engaged in combat myself beyond Battlefront II, I'm speculating).

But how about this: if you enter combat and perform your first full action, but later realize you wish you'd saved an action, you can do *one* at -2D. Sort of like a delayed-reaction-MAP.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how my group handles it. Actions added later in a round suffer a further -1D penalty.
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use both rules in conjuction and also for my npcs. What I have found is that most people only do two or three actions at most in a round. I think it makes combat rounds easier because what I see players doing under the book rules munchkin the system is they declare one action to shoot. Then when they got shot at they declare a reaction dodge at -1D. Under my rule the same thing happens at the same penalty for the dodge, but it gives you a chance to act again in a combat round say if your original plan failed and 6 PCs cannot eliminate 2 stormtroopers during the normal combat round
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a houserule I've invented.

You can take a number of actions per round equal to half the number of dice you have in that particular skill round down.

So far we have always allowed people to take an unlimited number of defensive action with their lightsaber, but I am considering limiting that number.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine, during a round, a character want to dodge a shoot, brawling parry then head-butt an opponant (brawling), move to swing an other with his vibroblade on his left hand and finaly shoot an third opponant with his blaster.

Rules say : 4 actions + 1 move (at least) = penality of 5D.
If a player continues to announce that his character has a so atletical activity during several rounds (3 to 5) I ask him stamina rolls like for sprinting.
I ask also Stamina rolls when characters perform brawling/ melee fights after several rounds (depend on how many actions are taken each round).

I apply also -1D each time a character aim a new target when shooting sevral targets : Character shoot target A then B (one shoot each) : 2 shoots + 1 changing target = -3D

I considere, except repeating blaster, other blaster are not designer for long time repeating fire (several shoots per round). That means it become overheating quickly and can be damaged (easy repair).

Home rule : overheating blaster weapons (except repeating blaster).
If during 3 rounds, a blaster weapon is fired more than 10 times, roll a D6.
If 1 is rolled the blaster is damaged and can't fire anymore (easy repair).
if 2 to 6 is rolled nothing occurs but continue to roll a D6 each round until the weapon can cool down.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest revolver shooter in the World, Jerry Miculek, can shoot 8 shots at 4 targets (2 each [a "double tap"]) in just over 1 second. He shot a six-shot revolver, reloaded, and fired 6 more rounds in 2.99 seconds. And, this ol' boy from Louisiana doesn't use The Force.

Now, is this 40-50 year old man capable of doing cartwheels, somersaults, and backflips while doing these marksmanship displays? Um, no, of course not. But, his specialization of Slugthrower: Revolver is better than anyone else at the planetary level with a population well over 5 Billion, which makes his skill about a 9D-10D.

So, do we use his base Dexerity (which would be 3D or 3D+1), or his specialization? I mean, in the real world he can actually shoot 4 targets in just over a second. Four, human-sized targets each a few feet apart.

He is also a world-champion shotgun and rifle shootist. Here is a record he broke (his own) with a stock rifle from the ESPN Great Outdoor Games:
ESPN wrote:
Miculek confirmed his "fastest trigger finger in the world" reputation by breaking a record in the qualifying round of the games' rifle shooting competition. Miculek used only 15.69 seconds to hit all 14 targets, smashing the old record of 22 seconds (which he also held).

Targets range from 4-inch circles down to 1¾-inch circles positioned 50 and 60 yards downrange. While all the other competitors use custom rifles with special parts, Miculek shoots a stock rifle that fans can buy at any sporting goods store. He needed fewer than 20 bullets to hit all the targets.

So, in the real world, he can do this. But, by these rules in our game, he probably couldn't.

What can we do, games mechanics-wise, do rectify this situation?
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To rectify that situation in our game I would actually have to think that his game stats would include a skill under Dex for Speedshooting/Trickshooting. I do however think that if he was clearing out rooms in a terrorist compound that he would not shoot that fast.

Another way one may choose to run my original rule is that you can buy 2 extra actions a round for 1 cp or unlimited actions for 1 fp.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, shooting targets and shooting people are two different critters.

Maybe double-tap should be a skill or something as well?
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i do kind of like the initial # of actions to dex rule, i don't agree with the getting rid of the declariation phase, and making it easier to do other actions.

I've just one thing to say. Ditto.

darkclown

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: