The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Weird Dice Habits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Weird Dice Habits Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Weird Dice Habits Reply with quote

First off I am not sure if this really belongs here but this is where I am putting it. I am wondering if any of you players out there have your own weird dice habits or if you know players that do. Example is I have a player who washes his dice in Vodka if someone else touches them. I know some people always keeps the sixes facing up at the table while others stack them in weird arrangments. One more example is I had a player once who would roll all of his 50+ dice and he would only play with the ones that came up 5's or 6's. Does anyone else do this or have people like this or am I just finding the weirdest people to play with.
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players are strange about the dice also. All the dice must be black with white dots. Except the wild die (which is actually a die we have from a former player that killed himself several years ago - the John Die RIP). They must each roll a "6" on the wild die before we can start playing. And there must be a little bit of "magic herb" sprinkled in the dice box.

They are very superstitious about many things when we play... they have to sit int he exact same order, I have to go over the character sheets in the exact same order and nothing can cover their character sheets when they play (no other papers or miniatures on them).

Yes... we are a cult. Twisted Evil

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! No wonder people think roleplayers are satanists! Laughing

My group also likes to keep all the dice with 6 facing up, and they usually choose which dice they'll use by rolling all of them and picking the highest numbers.
One player has really bad luck with the wild die, so when he's about to make an important roll, we all start teasing him. Then he rolls catastrofically bad, and we all laugh, and he becomes really pissed, really actually believing it's OUR fault that he rolled so badly, because we were teasing him. Now he went away to Europe, so when someone else is going to make an important roll and the rest of the group wants him to fail, we all start chanting that unlucky player's name, to jinks the roll.
We also have the belief that you have a set amount of 6es in the wild die alotted to that gaming session. So when a player starts rolling 6es in the wild die on unimportant rolls, we believe he's wasting away his 6es which would be important later on in the game. One time I rolled about five 6es in a row on the wild die on a fully unimportant Stamina test in the beginning of the game. Later on, when the action started I fumbled all my rolls terribly and was mortally wounded...
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily my group has a pretty good math background, and we all see them as random number generators. We may have our favorite dice, or a die that is always a wild, but never go about keeping them all 6's facing up, etc. We might keep a 1 from facing up, but that is as far as we will go.

At my college, however, I have seen games played with the extreme. All 6's showing up, no one can touch other folk's dice, special ways of shaking the dice before rolling. And this one I really hate- they play D&D, and there is a group that when ever they roll a 20, the person snaps his fingers, points at the die, and says "Thanks, nat twenty!" I want to shove that d20 down thier throat and beat them over the head with a +2 Player's Handbook of b**** Slap Against Nerds every time I hear that.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that I have the least strangest group. We share the dice, if they get stacked or placed a certain way, it's because someone is bored. Or Character sheets end up anywhere, and we have to hunt for them (usually they are in some GG).

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone yells "Big money! Big money!" before rolling in our group.
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No whammies!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Big money! Big money!"

Quote:
No whammies!

STOP!

Laughing
to finance my 'vette!
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group is so lazy, we always forget "our" dice and use the ones of the gamemaster. The only thing I usually bring is my "lucky dice cup", basically a drinking glass sized cup made out of hard leather, lined with red felt. Usually doesn't do much for me, as I'm traditionally the worst roller on the table, no matter when and where and what dice I use... Of course when I am the gamemaster its exactly the opposite, much to the displeasure of my players...

I'm just glad my father doesn't play though... What he can do with his Backgammon dice is bordering on the supernatural! He makes his announcement (i.e. "Double sixes") and gets what he wants in more then half of his rolls. I stopped playing Backgammon with him, though... Too frustrating.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost since I played my first roleplaying session, I have had a problem with people grabbing from my dice pool and rolling with them. I've relaxed a little about that in recent years... but it still makes me uncomfortable. In the old days, I would substitute and not re-use any of my dice for the rest of that session if someone else rolled one of them. My old group would call that "bad ju-ju". I used to meet a lot of players with this same affliction.

I also used to freak out if all my dice were not of the same set (color and/or design). This isn't something I ever think about anymore.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's just rude of them to just take you dice without asking. I don't mind sharing my dice, just as long as I'm asked first.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gbjazzman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'm new to the Pit and this is quite the find.

My first group of players were really supersititous about their dice. One guy would have 20 d6s with him and roll them several times before we'd play, and pick about a half a dozen he thought were rolling well. Another guy would chuck a die accross the room when he got upset with it.

My new group are all RPG novices so they haven't developed their superstitions about their dice yet.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, welcome to the site! You're quite right; this place IS the find of the millennium!

And I agree that people should ask before dipping into another person's dice- not because I have any superstitions about them (although I DO like having all green ones, since that's my favorite color, but that's the only concession I make about that...) but rather because it should be that way with ANYTHING that belongs to another person, unless they've already specifically told you, "Mi casa es su casa" and made it abundantly clear that you can use anything of theirs, at any time, without asking first.

Anything less is uncivilized.
Hieh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the people I've played with have some amusing rolling habits, I think this one's the most memorable:

One player I've played with would cross himself and say "Dominos, (can't remember the game he uses for the second one), Yatzi, Parchisi" right before rolling his dice.

(probably misspelled all the games)

Not that I can complain, I roll so bad I've started doing the Jedi Hand Wave as a joke whenever I roll
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of it much, but we're an extremely superstitious lot when it comes to the D6. None of the other dies (when we use them) matter much, but there's something mystical about those six-siders...

Personally, I'm probably the worst of the bunch. I'll roll all my dice beforehand and segregate the fives and sixes, then repeat the process with the remaining dice, organizing them into neat little piles according to "luck". Once that's done, I give the "luckiest" pile another toss just to ensure they weren't rendered "unlucky" in the interim.

As far as the rolling is concerned, I have to roll 2 or 3 dice at a time, regardless of how many are actually needed. This will probably sound odd, but I really do roll better that way. I've got different colors so if I only need one die, the rest of my group chooses the color and indulges me.

I have no problem sharing my dice, and frequently do with our group. Of course I've known these guys for many years. If an acquaintance or stranger grabs my dice (or anything else of mine) that's just disrespectful. I must then fight the overpowering urge to scoop out their spleen with a dull spoon. Twisted Evil

Wow, I'm terminally obsessive compulsive. Oh well. It's mostly harmless. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: