The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play characters of either gender (and some others besides. Verpine are hermaphrodites and droids are neuter. Smile ). I've never really had a problem with it in Star Wars.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
I play characters of either gender (and some others besides. Verpine are hermaphrodites and droids are neuter. Smile ). I've never really had a problem with it in Star Wars.

True, droids don't technically have a sex but interestingly enough C-3PO seemed male. The protocol droid in TPM was female and Xizor's super droid Guri was definitly female!

I guess it is the owners preference...
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
RedFox wrote:

True, droids don't technically have a sex but interestingly enough C-3PO seemed male. The protocol droid in TPM was female and Xizor's super droid Guri was definitly female!

I assume that the gender connotations of mannerism and voice inflection (note, btw, that See Threepio is a very effeminate, swishy "guy") are quirks of their positronic programming with the intention of making droids of that degree more approachable.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
RedFox wrote:

Well, let's not forget that some humanoid droids beyond Human Replica Droids such as Guri are designed to physically female rather than merely sound that way.

The BD-3000 luxury droid clearly shows off a metallic female form. In addition to the BD-3000, the TDL Nanny droid also shows signs of a female form. I doubt such droids would be given masculine programming, though humanoid droids that are gender neutral in appearance can go either way.

Wanted Poster
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangly enough I'm told that I can play an effective girl character by my players. Probably because I have so many voices in my head heheh j/k.
Jen'tara Rhee
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
MA-3PO wrote:
RedFox wrote:

Well, let's not forget that some humanoid droids beyond Human Replica Droids such as Guri are designed to physically female rather than merely sound that way.

The BD-3000 luxury droid clearly shows off a metallic female form. In addition to the BD-3000, the TDL Nanny droid also shows signs of a female form. I doubt such droids would be given masculine programming, though humanoid droids that are gender neutral in appearance can go either way.

Right, and I think it is Prince Xizor of Black Sun that has a droid bodyguard that has synthskin so that people think she's human, even can fool the droid scanners if they aren't programmed to "see" through synthskin.

Just how much of an 'android" can they make in the Star Wars galaxy if they wanted? Could they do a "pleasure droid" that is fully functional? It seems to me they COULD, just generally don't.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right, and I think it is Prince Xizor of Black Sun that has a droid bodyguard that has synthskin so that people think she's human, even can fool the droid scanners if they aren't programmed to "see" through synthskin.

Yes, this was Guri.

Quote:
Just how much of an 'android" can they make in the Star Wars galaxy if they wanted? Could they do a "pleasure droid" that is fully functional? It seems to me they COULD, just generally don't.

Possible, but how much would that cost? I think Xizor payed somewhere in the millions for Guri. Remember that slavery is rampant in SW, wouldn't be cheaper just to buy a slave?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen'tara Rhee wrote:

As I stated, Guri is a Human Replica Droid, which means she looks human to the naked eye. But she didn't have synthskin as the synthdroids in Planet of Twilight did. Her skin was actually grown in clone vats. Only the most advanced medical equipment could tell that Guri, Xizor's bodyguard and personal assassin, could tell she wasn't human. And she was fully functional with the exception of being unable to concieve a child. It's pretty clear that Xizor has apparently used her in conjugal respsects at times, as he thinks about how she has always been willing to do what he wants in bed.

Wanted Poster
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play chicks all the time Wink
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to the first post :

Quote:
I find, and Crell agrees, that guys play females either as too stand offish or too sleezy. [....]
I have no clue how women play male characters.
I have also seen only once or twice a male player roleplaying 'correctly' a female character...

I tried once but I it was no easy job in my opinion to roleplay it neither too stand offish nor too sleezy.

I have also seen woman roleplaying male characters. Usually it was correct, but there was still problems dealing with 'opposite' sex.
Demona
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played with any males who roleplayed females in D6, but in some online rpg's I have played before I had only met ONE male who was able to convince me that he rped a female. And he only rped females. Most males do tend to lay on the girlishness too thick.

To rp a convincing female you have to say one thing and do another...and even say conflicting stuff. Get irritated at small things and not really care about the big things. Well, thats if your playing a human female.

I am a female and I have never played a male yet. Its on my list of things to do. I have played female dwarves in D&d..thats about as manly as I have gotten.

Right now I play a barabel shockboxer so in a way she would probably be a tad manly. I sure don't play her as feminine as her gender deems.

I personally think that the ultimate test of roleplaying is when you can switch genders and convincingly rp. My husband plays a fairly good female. He convinces all the guys though Smile
K_Feldspar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... interesting. I am male. I have played many a prissy angry sorceress in D&D, but have always been male in Star Wars--excluding female npcs when I GM. I don't think I role play a woman any better than I role play a male. They're both people who I'm not. One just happens to be the opposite sex. Granted I don't think any of my group really concentrates too much on gender issues one way or the other.

I've also had other males play females and females play males in my campaigns. Quite successfully I would say. I have a female playing a male human kid in my current campaign, and she does an excellent job.

Now that I give it a little thought maybe it has to do with the kind of female we're used to interacting with. I bet that not many of them played My Little Ponies much as a kid, or if they did it didn't stop them from playing with bugs. Which is NOT to say they aren't feminine or pretty. Just that they aren't stereotypical princess types. Really, maybe I should stop babbling. Neutral
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't gotten an opportunity to play females very often. But I was told by a female friend of mine that I do it quite well when I do.

Interestingly I am told by males who play females often that I am horrible at it.

I think a real woman knows how a woman should be played better than any man.

I had a friend who only played femal characters, a polite enough friend who never questioned anyones personality traits in real life or playing style for their characters. Neither stand-offish or sleazy, he just didn't do personalities and made whatever choice he thought was best. He got the habit of playing females from online-RPGs, where he got quickly tired of staring at a man's butt for hours on end. So he just played females, and it stuck with him ever since.
Never questioned how he played it, he only saw me play a female once and thinks I did a fine job... that was D20 Star Wars and it sucked.

That is my 0.02 credits.
to finance my 'vette!
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a female character or two. One is a young kid [kind of like Ed from Cowboy Bebop]. Another one was in a different system, which I played as a cold-hearted, ruthless killing b****. It is lots of fun to play, and great for interacting with other characters (everyone in the group knows her as 'the b****').

My normal gaming group consists of three males and two females. The females will play iether gender on a regular basis, and do a fine job of it.

As for the males playing females, I usually don't play mine sleazy or stand-offish at all, and it is rare for the other males in my group to play females, but they don't play it sleazy or slutty or such. The females in our group are more likey to have thier characters be sleazy, or as they put it, use thier "femine wiles". Esaier to use when a female playing a female when the GM is male. My girlfriend is currently not denying this as she reads this over my should.

We once had a game where the two females were playing males, and the two males were playing females. the GM never got used to it, so was worth a good laugh.

~Tahlorn
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Males playing females Reply with quote

How soon we forget...

Quote:
I have played many a prissy angry sorceress in D&D, but have always been male in Star Wars--excluding female npcs when I GM.

I seem to recall a certain female martial artist who took an E-web shot to the chest during a botched recon mission on an ice planet in my campaign.

I've played females in a number of role-playing systems, I don't think it's a whole lot different from playing males. Role playing is a lot like acting, you have to get the character's persona in mindand keep answering the question "what would she do in this situation." I started off always basing my characters off of the characters in novels I had read and adding some personality quirks. By my 5th or 6th character, I found the quirks were becoming the character, so I tried starting from scratch.

It helps a lot to write a backstory, even just a paragraph or two, and decide how your character was shaped by her past. I find that gender doesn't matter as much in playing a good character, but taking the time to think about the character and give her a history will make her more interesting. That applies to males as well as females.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: