The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firefly Class transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firefly Class transport Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Firefly Class transport Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am a huge fan of Firefly/Serenity as well as Star Wars. While perusing Wookieepedia, I found that the Firefly class starship was in one of the comics, in a background frame. It has also been mentioned that a type of Star Wars freighter appears in the series, again in the background. This got me looking and low and behold, I found these D20 stats on SWRPG Network forums. I can't remember who made them, the name is on the tip of my tongue, but here they are. Might they possibly make their way into the Revised & Expanded Ship Stats?

Serenity
Craft: Firefly Class Transport; Class: Space transport; Cost: 160,000.00 Cr (new), 96,000.00 Cr (used); Size: Medium (60m length); Initiative: +2; Crew: 8 (Normal +2); Passengers: 6; Starship Compliment: 2 short range shuttles; Cargo Capacity: 500 Metric tons; Consumables: 3 Months; Hyperdrive: x2 (backup x15); Maximum Speed: Cruising (Average, 3 squares/action); Atmospheric Speed: 800 km/h (13 squares/action); Maneuvers: +3 (+2 crew, +1 engine quality); Defense: 20 (+10 armor); Hull Points: 250 (DR 15); Shield Points: 100 (DR 15).

Serenity's Shuttles
Craft: Short Range Shuttle Craft; Class: Starfighter; Cost: 60,000.00 Cr (new) 36,000.00 Cr (used); Size: Tiny (15m length); Initiative: +4 (+2 crew, +2 size); Crew: 1 (Normal +2); Passengers: 5; Cargo Capacity: 500 kilograms; Consumables: 1 Week; Hyperdrive: None; Maximum Speed: Cruising (Average, 0 squares/action); Atmospheric Speed: 400 km/h (7 squares/action); Maneuvers: +4 (+2 size, +2 crew); Defense: 22 (+2 size, +10 armor); Hull Points: 80 (DR 5); Shield Points: 30 (DR 5).

My only complaint is that the cargo capacity seems to low for the Firefly. I remember the hold being huge! And while we never get a really good look at the Millenium Falcon's cargo hold, I can't imagine they have the same capacity.

E

Last edited by Ejacobs on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand they put it in so it would be useful in Star Wars, but a Firefly class ship doesn't actually have hyperdrive.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, in the series/movie it has a FTL drive. Still takes it some time to move about their system. However, the FTL is easily replaced by a hyperdrive that can still give that eerie "firefly" glow to the ship when used.

E
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it even had any kind of FTL drive, since it all takes place in one solar system. I'll have to check into that. I figured the glow was just it's drive system, and that it didn't have anything to do with FTL or hyperspace travel.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some googling, it appears that there is no FTL travel of any kind in Firefly or Serenity.

I still like the idea of converting it to WEG's system, however, even if you do have to fudge the hyperdrive. It'd need some heavy work though, having no weapons or shields of its own, at least, canonically. I think I'd leave it that way, myself, in keeping with the ragtag nature of the show it comes from. Make the characters work to improve it.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely agree with the initial no shields or weapons to make in canon. Of course, you would have to have a hyperdrive simply because the Galaxy is so large. I doubt many players would want to stick around one system for a long time.

My mistake about the FTL. I assumed that is what going full burn was when travelling from planet to planet.

E
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's some kind of photon drive, which gives the effect, but it's strictly sublight.

I agree about the necessity for hyperdrive, although doing a localized non-FTL campaign might be interesting. With the 5 worlds of the Corellian system it might be doable...
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has also been mentioned that a type of Star Wars freighter appears in the series, again in the background.

Yeah, it's the Mobquet Medium Transport from the Dark Empire comic (it also appears in the PC game X-Wing Alliance). Some person on the Firefly production crew actually got to do a fully photorealistic rendering of it. 8)
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I spotted it the first time watching the DVDs of Firefly.

I immediately stopped it, pulled the disk out, RAN to my computer, and grabbed a screenshot for my group.

We used a *LOT* of those ships in our game.

Specially modified to be troop/vechicle transports.

And, of course, the "B.O.B.".
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Fluffy the Rancor... Wink
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap'n Reynolds> "Pff, aliens, dinosaurs, alien dinosaurs? They gotta be bluffing about a 5 meter tall monster boarding our sh..."

Fluffy> "RRRAAAAARRR!"

Cap'n Reynolds> "...tell Jane he's needed at the main loading bay, and he should bring his favorite gun..."
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash -- "What is this science fiction?"
Zoe -- "You live on a spaceship."
Wash -- "So?"

Another quirk I found with the Firefly stats is that the shuttles are given a length of 15 meters. That's one quarter the length of the whole ship! I think a much smaller number around the size of an A-Wing, about 9 or so meters is better. The Firefly class is listed as being 193 feet from nose to tail (60 meters) so her length is right. Any takers on good D6 stats? I'm working on them, but have had little time recently. I'll post what I come up with as I go, and would really appreciate all the feedback you can give me.

E
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 15 meters is about right for the shuttle. Inara had a lot of room in there, and the shuttles did take up significant space in exterior shots. They are shuttles, not escape pads, after all.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with you there. I just got the Serenity RPG and in it there are floor plans for the Firefly. It shows the ship at roughly 190 ft and the shuttles coming in at about 30 ft or 9.? meters. The outside shots I've seen show them not much longer than the "wings" of the Firefly. The interior of the shuttle looks to be 12ft wide by 12 ft long, not counting cockpit and engine area.

E
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, 12 feet by 12 long does seem about what I was thinking. I misread the "meters" part, brainfart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: