The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Elite: Dangerous Crossover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Elite: Dangerous Crossover
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Elite: Dangerous Crossover Reply with quote

I don't play the game, but I have friends who do, so I have some passing familiarity with it. There's a lot of good crossover fodder insofar as tech ideas, which I've played around with, but haven't really done anything concrete with.

Anyway, YouTube suggested this video to me: a scale comparison of all (most?) of the ships in Elite: Dangerous, complete with dimensions. If you're a fan, and have wanted to do a crossover, this could be a very useful resource.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Crm! (pak been on hiatus for a bit).

Elite Dangerous
Actually, a couple of the guys in my group (myself included) are big elite dangerous fans.

It is a really cool and fun game.

Ship Design Ideas
We were just talking TODAY about how some of the concepts in the game on start ship modules and construction might be able to be used in SWD6.

I really like the modular approach, and simplified ratings.

Of course, any computer game can easily do detailed maths (and elite does) so a more simplified system would be needed.

Ships themselves
Actually, one of the players in my game asked about the party getting one of the ships from ED. As many of them look really cool, and most would fit in ok in star wars. (a lot of them are wedges.... heh).

Some are a bit big - but GM's could make adjustments where necessary.

Nothing against the standard SW stock ships from various sources - but if my players have reasonable requests for things that are cool, I do try to accommodate.

BACK TO D6...
If anything translates back into our game, I will make posts here.

Of course, the biggest challenge (from my perspective) is creating things with depth that are not overly complex....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, pakman. I've looked at some of the tech for Elite as part of my starfighter combat system, and there are absolutely aspects of it that would be cool to port over. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Obviously, some things aren't going to port over all that well; mining may be a suitable pastime and money earner in the game, but it's not particularly useful for a PC group except as a background to things that aren't mining.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Obviously, some things aren't going to port over all that well; mining may be a suitable pastime and money earner in the game, but it's not particularly useful for a PC group except as a background to things that aren't mining.

And then a guy on the Facebook group posted his house rule document for introducing asteroid mining and hyperspace route mapping and system surveys. Lots of cool ideas there. I'll post if he gives me permission. Actually, to save time, I may just clip the relevant portions and post them.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Obviously, some things aren't going to port over all that well; mining may be a suitable pastime and money earner in the game, but it's not particularly useful for a PC group except as a background to things that aren't mining.

There is a Mining Guild PC template in the Tapani sector template. A GM could have a campaign where mining skills were important, but it is true that not too many would.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There is a Mining Guild PC template in the Tapani sector template. A GM could have a campaign where mining skills were important, but it is true that not too many would.

It would definitely be a niche campaign, but the same could be said about running Speculative Trading in Tramp Freighters. There's also overlap with a Scout campaign, where locating untapped mining resource planets is big profit.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even heard of elite dangerous before.. Is it a mini's game or PC/console game?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never even heard of elite dangerous before.. Is it a mini's game or PC/console game?

It's both. I don't play it (I'm not hugely into video games any more), but a friend does, and I've watched some YouTube videos and done some research. You basically play a starship captain flying around a pretty realistic representation of the Milky Way galaxy, performing a variety of different missions (combat, cargo transport, passenger runs, mining, exploration, etc), building up your funds and reputation to access better and better ships, equipment and upgrades.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the pdf I mentioned. It's the author's full ruleset, which is worth the read for the new ideas, but the main areas of interest here are the Mining rules on pg. 80, and the Exploration rules on pg. 86.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: