The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tie fighters, bombers and interceptors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tie fighters, bombers and interceptors.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Tie fighters, bombers and interceptors. Reply with quote

In the main book for the description of interceptors, it says they were introduced shortly before yavin/. What is a good figure for that 'shortly'? When did bombers come into being? Was there a bomber variant before hand?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the TIE bomber probably came into use a few years before the Battle of Yavin. It seems to have been around for a while when we do see it in ESB. The bomber replaced earlier TIE variants like the TIE/gt, serving as a dedicated missle carrier and bombing platform.

I do not think the TIE Interceptor came about until after Yavin. The literature states it was designed as a direct counter to the Rebel X-wing. Since the Imperials didn't really see a "small one-man fighter" as much of a threat until after their shiny Death Star was taken out by one, I think the Interceptor was rushed into production in the aftermath of that debacle.

Of course by that time, the Rebels had their A-wings and mayhem ensued. Wink
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not think the TIE Interceptor came about until after Yavin. The literature states it was designed as a direct counter to the Rebel X-wing. Since the Imperials didn't really see a "small one-man fighter" as much of a threat until after their shiny Death Star was taken out by one, I think the Interceptor was rushed into production in the aftermath of that debacle.

That sounds about right to me. I don't have it handy, but IIRC the Interceptor didn't come out until just after Hoth, though it probably went into production right after Yavin. Don't quote me on that, though.

It's also worth noting that Interceptors became quite widespread in the Empire. Wookieepedia says:
Quote:
Emperor Palpatine, knowing the supreme abilities of the TIE Interceptor, had planned to replace all standard TIE Fighters with Interceptors. By the Battle of Endor, TIE Interceptors filled 20% of the total Imperial Starfighter Force.

I love squints. I think it's my favorite SW ship design -- that or the Lambda-class shuttle, hard to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: