The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scripts: do you actually use them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Scripts: do you actually use them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Scripts: do you actually use them? Reply with quote

Hi, i was figuring if anyone actually uses the scripts provided with official adventures.
I don't know, but i feel like it could be a little unnatural to force players to say things they wouldn't actually say if let free to do as they please..

Ras

BTW: this night will be my first SW game ever: wish me luck! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. ALl the modules for the sparks group has scripts. It imo helps them get into the module.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I make them read every single line, no matter how banal. The example that immediatlely springs to mind was a very early adventure (Otherspace, perhaps?) in which one of the characters notices they're in hyperspace and says "Look at the pretty colors!" or some such. We giggled for a while over that one. Wink
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not once. I've always thought it would seem lame, like back in high school when everyone in your English class would have to read lines from a play out loud, be they theater kids or jocks.

Of course, as a consequence, the very beginning of a campaign sometimes starts slow and choppy. But that's usually compensated for by the fact that I tend to game with very experienced players. For all I know, the scripts'd work really well for newbies.

Also, I usually try to stick in at least one NPC among the PC's "squad" so I can throw in opinions/ideas/information at will. The PCs usually react to that stuff almost exactly as they would have if WEG had written their lines for them.

I do, however, write my own loose scripts, where I specify for myself (so I don't forget) something important that an NPC will say, and anticipate the PCs' response(s), and write out the NPC's responses, etc. etc. This is especially helpful for things like mission briefings.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Well. Reply with quote

Ok, i got it, but what if the players are not newbies to roleplaying, but is their first time into SW?
Smile
Ras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: