The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

T-65E2 X-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> T-65E2 X-Wing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: T-65E2 X-Wing Reply with quote

Here is the stats for another X-Wing variant created for my games.

Basically, it is a two seater X-Wing similar to the unseen training X-Wing where the Pilot and Co-pilot sit one in front of the other in an extended X-Wing space frame. The goal is to have another pilot to operate the craft in the event the pilot makes a mistake or gets incapacitated. Also a rear gun was added to be operated by either the co-pilot or astromech in the event a fighter were caught in the rear arc of the ship.

The craft also sports improved engines for increased speed. The craft also has a backup Hyperdrive unit, but stores no cargo.

Obivously this design didn't catch on due to the extreme cost of the craft, and the fact that two pilots were needed and had to have some training to cope with the different control layout. The New Republic also didn't want to sacrifice two pilots in the event the ship was destroyed. A whole squadron would require an amazing 24 pilots and 12 astomechs to crew. The craft was produced for one year and less than 500 fighters were produced in total making it the least sucessful of all the X-Wing models. However those that fly the craft, are very much fond of them.

Craft: Incom T-65E2 X-wing
Type: Space superiority fighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 13.1 meters
Cost: 210,000 Credits (New)
Skill: (S) Starfighter Piloting: X-wing
Crew Skill: Starfighter piloting 5D, starship gunnery 4D+2, starship shields 3D
Crew: 2 (Pilot and Co-Pilot) and 1 Astromech Droid (can coordinate)
Passengers: 0 or 1
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 1 week
Nav Computer: No
Hyperdrive: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Space: 9
Atmosphere: 1150 kmh
Maneuver: 3D
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D

* Uses Astromech as Nav Computer.

Sensors:
Passive: 25 / 0D
Scan: 50 / 1D
Search: 75 / 2D
Focus: 3 / 4D

Weapons:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Four Laser Cannons (fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3 / 12 / 25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300m / 1.2km / 2.5km
Damage: 6D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Double Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: rear
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3 / 12 / 25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300m / 1.2km / 2.5km
Damage: 2D

Type: Two Proton Torpedo Launchers
Fire Arc: Front
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1 / 3 / 7
Atmosphere Range: 30-100m / 300m / 700m
Damage: 9D

I've got a squadron of these things in my game. The real in game benefit is the rear laser, and the fact that the co-pilot can have actions as well improving the overal performance of the craft.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this variant fill a particular niche or was a two-seater purely to have a backup pilot?

I'm reminded of the Y-wing variants, specifically the Longprobe recon version. Did you have something like that in mind, or perhaps a dedicated bombing platform?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a ship of this type would be quite useful in a unit like Wraith or Rogue Squadrons, primarily Wraith, but where the pilots are chosen either A) because they're pilots with secondary ground-based skills, as in the Rogues, or B) because they're primarily snipers, demolitions experts, infiltrators and the like, who have piloting as a secondary skill, as in the Wraiths. This X-Wing variant would allow such a unit to have more personnel, which would allow for an overlapping of skill sets (always preferable to ANY commander) and would allow all members to rotate through the primary duties they carry out on each mission. Plus, it would allow the unit to insert a full team of commandoes while still maintaining a full squadron's-worth of air support.

Construction costs might be prohibitive, but ask anyone in the field and I'll bet they'd be pretty much unanimously in favor of these fighters. Since they don't have to be flown by two people, I can see R&D coming up with a cockpit configuration surprisingly similar to the regular model, so it would be like a pilot familiar with T-16 Skyhoppers switching over to a T-65. Shouldn't be too big a leap for them, if they're any good.

Very nice concept, Firehawk!
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Actually, a ship of this type would be quite useful in a unit like Wraith or Rogue Squadrons, primarily Wraith, but where the pilots are chosen either A) because they're pilots with secondary ground-based skills, as in the Rogues, or B) because they're primarily snipers, demolitions experts, infiltrators and the like, who have piloting as a secondary skill, as in the Wraiths. This X-Wing variant would allow such a unit to have more personnel, which would allow for an overlapping of skill sets (always preferable to ANY commander) and would allow all members to rotate through the primary duties they carry out on each mission. Plus, it would allow the unit to insert a full team of commandoes while still maintaining a full squadron's-worth of air support.

Construction costs might be prohibitive, but ask anyone in the field and I'll bet they'd be pretty much unanimously in favor of these fighters. Since they don't have to be flown by two people, I can see R&D coming up with a cockpit configuration surprisingly similar to the regular model, so it would be like a pilot familiar with T-16 Skyhoppers switching over to a T-65. Shouldn't be too big a leap for them, if they're any good.

Very nice concept, Firehawk!

Those were some of the ideas for it. Really this came about because a player of mine who was a long time X-Wing pilot in the game had always wished for a few things after flying so many missions. A canon in the back, and a backup pilot for when he makes huge mistakes, or you need to carry someone in your fighter for whatever reason.

So as a result, I created this version of the X-Wing for his squadron to use. They are expensive, and if they trash them, they don't get replaced or repaired quickly. Plus, like the long probe Y-Wing, the rear seat can handle recon and sensor duties. Basically, it's just a variant of the X-Wing that extends the usefulness of the craft.

Also there is another version of it as well. The T-65XI That craft can switch it's four lasers from Blaster to ION mode for disabling ships. Though the guns are bulkier and cost a small fortune. The craft was field tested, but had some issues with the canons feeding back and exploding. They wouldn't explode with enough force to hurt the pilot, but sometimes the craft would become disabled and it would tear off big sections of the wings. It only happened about 15% of the time, but that was about 14% more risk than the pilots were willing to take. Incom has never corrected the problem.

So it was very unpleasant in atmoshphere. Space, not so bad.

Pel wrote:
Did this variant fill a particular niche or was a two-seater purely to have a backup pilot?

I'm reminded of the Y-wing variants, specifically the Longprobe recon version. Did you have something like that in mind, or perhaps a dedicated bombing platform?

Definitley a niche fighter to a degree. Just another model that Incom introduced to try and boost X-Wing sales again and to help compete with Frei-Tek and others.

Last edited by Firehawk0220 on Tue May 23, 2006 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be remembering incorrectly, but don't later versions of the X-wing have a single, forward-mounted blaster? This could be changed over to an ion cannon so the main lasers aren't A) so expensive and B) so prone to mishaps. Sure, it'd be a bit of a reduction in firepower, but I think the trade-off would be well worth it to anyone wanting the added capabilities of ion cannons.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I might be remembering incorrectly, but don't later versions of the X-wing have a single, forward-mounted blaster? This could be changed over to an ion cannon so the main lasers aren't A) so expensive and B) so prone to mishaps. Sure, it'd be a bit of a reduction in firepower, but I think the trade-off would be well worth it to anyone wanting the added capabilities of ion cannons.

I don't recall any later versions of the X-Wing having anything but the four guns they always have. Though I think their appearance changed on the T65XJ and XJ3 fighters.

Though, forward mounted Ion Cannons along the nose would be another good way to accomplish the task. Though bigger power systems would mean that the cargo area would have to get reduced even more. Though I bet the pilots would gladly take the trade off.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and a backup pilot for when he makes huge mistakes, or you need to carry someone in your fighter for whatever reason.

That brings up a point... Would you in game, allow a secondary piloting roll, in the same round, to say avoid being hit, if the primary pilot messed up real bad?
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
and a backup pilot for when he makes huge mistakes, or you need to carry someone in your fighter for whatever reason.

That brings up a point... Would you in game, allow a secondary piloting roll, in the same round, to say avoid being hit, if the primary pilot messed up real bad?

With an additional difficulty modifier, YES.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Firehawk. There's ALWAYS a chance that the copilot would see an incoming barrage where the pilot missed it, or was able to react just a shade faster when the astromech began screeching about that incoming proton torpedo...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Quote:

With an additional difficulty modifier, YES.

Like what kind of mod?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the modifier depends upon the situation the pilots are in. If the second pilot is actively engaged in other duties (comms, shields, weapons, etc.) and then wants to assume helm control after the first pilot botches the roll, then I'd allow it at one difficulty level higher.

If both pilots are actively engaged in piloting duties, say in a student instructor situation, then I would allow a second roll at no increased difficulty.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable to me.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
That sounds reasonable to me.

To me as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY argument against it stem from the fact combat is so fast. By the time the 'co pilot' realizes the dodge was ineffective, he would not have any time to engage his own dodging...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad point, garhkal. As an alternative, you might shift the difficulty TWO levels for a copilot who's performing other duties (comm, sensors, etc.) and ONE level for a copilot who's concentrating more on being a secondary pilot.

Personally, IMO it seems a waste of personnel to have someone in the back seat who isn't taking some of the piloting burdens off the main pilot, unless they're in a training capacity. Otherwise, if I were in the hot seat, my rider would be acting like a WSO. He'd be working in tandem with my astromech to make sure we survived the encounter.

It might be a possibility in the case of this particular model where you might have two people and an astromech who are regular flight partners, who develop some uncanny reflexes when working together as a team, simply because they come to know each other so well. That might be worth a reduction in penalties. Other than that, however, it might be more prudent to impose the two and one level difficulty shifts to account for the speed at which space combat occurs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: