The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I no speaka da Basic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> I no speaka da Basic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: I no speaka da Basic Reply with quote

With some interesting (and some less played) alien species not having the physical capacity to speak basic, how have you found ways to allow them to participate in the campaigns fully? Do you use a friend to translate, a translation device of sorts (I only saw one in my breif look in the Equipment Stats), a sort of sign language communitcation (langauge specialization of "non verbal communication") ? Any ideas?

Players have at times really wanted to play an interesting alien but shyed away when they learned they couldn't speak basic - they like to be able to verbalize their characters.

Love to hear ideas around this problem.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just do what the book suggests about Wookiees. Make sure someone in the group speaks Wookiee, when that guy's around, the Wookiee's player speaks normally, since he has his buddy to translate. When the translator isn't around, that's when you have fun with pantomime and funny alien language noises.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once played a mute character who spoke through a computer Stephen Hawking-style.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I would just do what the book suggests about Wookiees. Make sure someone in the group speaks Wookiee, when that guy's around, the Wookiee's player speaks normally, since he has his buddy to translate. When the translator isn't around, that's when you have fun with pantomime and funny alien language noises.

I try to get that too, but when the other players don't bother taking that language, it makes things real hard. I had one game group, where we had 5 players, one of which was Gammorean. Of the other 4, not one had more than 3d in languages, and i was reluctant to just 'gloss over it' by giving out a free Cpo unit. IMO it actually made for some better rping getting the others to understand what she was saying (yes it was a female who took the gammorean).
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a game that is getting ready to start the the players have been talking about all being Wookie. I have tried to explain it to them that very few people will ever understand them, but they seem to want to go that way. It should be interesting.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our Rebel Uprisings game we have a Wookiee, and much fun at his expense to boot. We have a protocol droid, and my character speaks Wookiee fluently; but some of the crew who've been around the Wookiee for some time still think that every time he opens his mouth, he's speaking about being hungry. Laughing
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they toss some Wookiee Cookies his way whenever he speaks? I hope your Wook has a sense of humor... Laughing
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, he does, but he gets VERY frustrated at everyone thinking he's only ever talking about food...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the other players basically treat your Wookiee like a dog, or perhaps a neglected child. Oookay. That's kind of funny, but usually not at all healthy. Wookiees have to watch their calories too, you know. Laughing
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
So they toss some Wookiee Cookies his way whenever he speaks? I hope your Wook has a sense of humor... Laughing

Well, this may be a good starting point to design some kind of food to merge in our SW environment: the Wookie Cookie!

Just imagine the advertisments: "Wookie Cookie: the best snack from Kashiik to Coruscant" or "When your Wookie growls, only his Cookie Prowls!"... Very Happy
Ras
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's kinda funny...

A friend of mine used to call me "Wookiee" because I'm fairly tall and used to have long, curly hair. Since I LOVE York Peppermint Patties, he started calling them "Wookiee Pellets." Razz
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few friends got this for me for my birthday a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811821846/103-0941065-4595819?v=glance&n=283155
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linked question to this. How do you handle it when someone is mute, or otherwise unable to speak (like he just had his or her tongue cut out)??
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart that he could find a cybernetic implant to solve his problem (at some point of the campaign), he should express himself with the ISL (Intergalactic Sign Language). I'm sure there's a chapter about it in the Hitchhikers Galaxy Guide... Wink
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our wookiee is not in the vicinity of his translator, he uses a simple datapad to write up what he wanted to say and held it up for the "listener" to read. Works slowly but surely.

You could also get something like an MTD (Miniature Translation Droid) as Lowbacca used...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: