The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers from the newer movies and games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Powers from the newer movies and games Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he could have split the action, but as I referenced before, he does have 2 DSP's by the Battle of Hoth, so both could be that. I think at that point, however, the other one is from the cave on Dagobah.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also entirely possible that Luke had a few more DSPs we don't know about that he managed to atone for. He redeemed himself twice that we know of (ROJ & Dark Empire) so he definitely has more than a casual acquaintance with the Dark Side. That plus his family history makes me think he might have hidden a few from us between movies.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have books that show what he was doing between movies (Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Shadows of the Empire), and Luke is THE major hero of the series. Luke being tempted by the Dark Side is a big deal, and while I agree that he does have a more than passing familiarity with it, that he's picking them up and dropping them off-screen or between books seems unnecessary, particularly since those events are precisely the things that the stories tend to be about.

Of course, now we're delving into a metaphysical realm of what fictional characters do between stories. While that line of inquiry could be interesting, I get the feeling it's off-topic here.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go into the novels as well, don't forget his training under C'boath and definetely not his time completely under the dark side with the resurected emperor.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know about those, which is the reason I said that those times he's been tested are chronicled. I don't recall him actually doing anything specifically DSP worthy with C'Baoth, though I could be forgetting something. I was specifically referencing the movie timeline originally, though.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about C'baoth. By that time Luke definitely knew the difference between Light and Dark so I doubt he incurred any DSPs there. He'd already teetered on the brink above Endor, thus he knew how to resist the temptation.

I referred to the period between ANH and ROJ, when Luke was definitely vulnerable to the Dark Side due to incomplete training. Who's to say he didn't work in another DSP or two during that time and then atone? Granted the period is increasingly well-documented, but there are still sizable gaps that an enterprising GM might take artistic license with.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Luke calling upon the dark side, when Vader found out about Leia. I think that's what made the Emperor so mad. Luke had given in to his anger, but had the mind to pull himself back and remain on the light side. This could be the second one, with the Gamorreans being the first DSP.

>-q=p---
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when he finally grew a pair and chopped Vader's hand off, that's my guess for the other point as well..
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the effect he used on the Gamoreans was more of an effect mind power. The hand gesture is closer to that then to the Choke one, and it would be a pretty basic thing to effect the Gamoreans.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to find my copy of the novelization of ROTJ to settle that, but I can't seem to find it. Personally, I think it's obvious that he was choking them, what's open-ended is whether he did it long enough to kill them, or just to make them pass out. If someone can dig up a copy, I'm betting it'll go into it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I was trying to find my copy of the novelization of ROTJ to settle that, but I can't seem to find it. Personally, I think it's obvious that he was choking them, what's open-ended is whether he did it long enough to kill them, or just to make them pass out. If someone can dig up a copy, I'm betting it'll go into it.

Actually, reqatching that scene, last night, it looked more like he held it long enough to ensure they backed off...we don't see them dropping dead, or even unconsious..
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Luke used on the Gamorreans was strictly meant as a warning so they'd back off. Fortunately they were smart enough to let him pass.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a direct attack, however, and from what I remember, they didn't back up, they collapsed against the wall. It's left open as to whether they are unconscious or dead. Either way, it was an unnecessary use of force (and Force, 8) ), and I'm thinking that incident is the source for at least one of the 2 DSPs he has at Endor. The fight with Vader might earn him another one, but I don't know if that's what they are referring to. I think his time in the cave on Dagobah might be the other one, if the Vader fight is not included, as he botched his frightcheck in there. Razz
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is pretty much airtight for DSP, especially if we disregard the flagrant Force use in those, *ahem* other movies. Laughing

Okay, silly question: If Luke had chosen to toss the Gamorreans against the wall with a gratuitous Force Shove (more forceful than Push) and similarly rendered them unconscious, would that earn a nice shiny DSP?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO... heck yea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: