The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Help! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

For almost as much time I've been gaming (9 years) I've been playing with a good friend who has trouble with getting into character. More over tends to power game, than really roleplay. Not to mention has a really bad habit of always referencing the rules when something doesn't go his way. Now on a few characters he has left all his power gaming behind to do real roleplaying, but that is really only one character (a jedi). Any ideas how I might be able to help him?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 years seems to be a long time together.
Perhaps your friend could use some perspective. Try changing roles for a change. Since he likes to quote the rules to you, he could try it from your chair.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously... make him GM and you can quote the rules to him. 8)
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try giving out more character points for good roleplaying, really getting into character, and less for just rolling well. If one of the other players roleplays very well, reward him with extra character points, and make it a point to tell everyone why he got more.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good point, our gm gives more character points for good play and things like comedy. I find it easy to use comedy and it has worked out for me when it comes to character pts.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my games are governed by pc's personal goals rather than mission oriented adventures, so success or failure is not really a factor. I reward players for good roleplaying and especially comedy. 9 years seems a long time to not get into character. Loctaal's advice is worth thinking about.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. I think that giving them something extra for good roleplaying is they way I'm going to try this week. I let you know how it goes.
Theron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that you might wish to try would be to disallow jedi characters, or at least make them avaliable to those characters that roleplay well (I.e. no one fills in wether they are force sensetive, and they can find out later)

I
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was a bash. My other players took care of the problem. After a great night of role playing despite about 45 min of dealing with the problem player. The other wanted to play again the next night. They told the problem player he could come only if he didn't take my time with his quesitons and complaints.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it worked out for you Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tybalt
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea about the character points, i'll have to try that one
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power playin has its place i suppose but it isnt called a power playing game the idea of more char points for good roleplay is valid, however some ppl are just like that so make him gm.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

Vartax wrote:
For almost as much time I've been gaming (9 years) I've been playing with a good friend who has trouble with getting into character. More over tends to power game, than really roleplay. Not to mention has a really bad habit of always referencing the rules when something doesn't go his way. Now on a few characters he has left all his power gaming behind to do real roleplaying, but that is really only one character (a jedi). Any ideas how I might be able to help him?

Try giving his character a fear (Usually something the player really doesn't like). for example I'm afraid of spiders and so is my character so when my character encounters a spider or anything spider related I scream out like hell ! Make it a rule that every character has a deep rooted unconscious fear and make them act on it by, from time to time, making the character face his fear ! In time he should be able to better play the character by giving it a more human touch!

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I don’t feel so bad for been afraid of spiders.

I found that letting them loose out on some exp keeps some of the more boisterous players in line. If they know that halting game play by complaining or being asinine (either through power gaming, or contesting a ruling, etc.) they will be docked in the experience Department they tend to simmer down.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theron wrote:
One other thing that you might wish to try would be to disallow jedi characters, or at least make them avaliable to those characters that roleplay well (I.e. no one fills in wether they are force sensetive, and they can find out later)

Thats quite effective, in D&D I wouldn't let a bad roleplayer play a Paladin. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: