The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character Background
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Character Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Character Background Reply with quote

Ok, we all know part of creating a character is giving them a background, usually something pretty quick. A few short sentences to maybe a two or three quick little paragraphs, just something really to folks an idea who the character is. But after the adventure begins, does anyone go back and really give their character a fuller detailed background, one that incorporates the background they gave on the character sheet but really goes beyond what is there.

A while ago I decided to do essentially that in one of Jamfke's PbPs, something that took me like a week to write up and then two posts just to get out there. Basically a story rather than a mere background as I did it more as if my character was remembering his past rather than as if some biographer was trying to tell folks who he was.

In PbP's I think folks are more likely to get away with telling a character's background more as a story in the actual game while giving a more biographer's quick background in the character sheet than they can in person as doing such would mean one player sitting there for several minutes just telling things either from a character's memory or in a dream sequence. In a PbP other players can skip over such things during moments of intense play so as to be active in the game then go back and read them later when things are a little quiter. Where as in the in person games it would be better for a player who really wanted to do such a thing to write or type up something that they could then pass around to the other players and let them read at will.

Wanted Poster
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing in the PbP and improved on my background going into detail before Bandon's memory loss. I've actually been thinking about chronicling his adventures during the war although i have to finish up the Rebel Uprisings first.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's a great way to get some fan fiction going. Start playing a character then find yourself really getting in depth with their background.

Wanted Poster
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandons actually been in dozens of games throughout all the different eras, including a game in the sith era centered on not directly him but his lightsabers, before he came to Rebel Uprisings. I have tons of background stuff.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We frequently create background material for use in our adventures. Most of it I leave up to the players so they can be as detailed as they like. More than one story arc has resulted from a ship's background or a character's childhood friend. The lightsaber background is an excellent idea. Very Happy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread hasn't been active for almost a year, but it's still relevant.

I personally prefer to, if I have the time to spend, go ahead and write up a fairly detailed backstory for any character I play. I love to write, so it's not an issue; the problem 99.999% of the time is finding the TIME to do the write-up.

I find this helps me identify more fully with the character, allows me the chance to develop some quirks, personality traits, etc. that can be exploited in-game to make the roleplaying experience that much more realistic. Plus I find this often times can provide the GM with any number of possible adventure hooks, because whenever possible I will create those opportunities. For instance, I have a Jedi in one of Jamfke's PbP games set about six months after EPI III. This character has a lot of money, clone trooper armor and weapons. However, these items are stored in caches all across the galaxy. Even the credits are stashed at various banks scattered here and there. When he deposited the creds to begin with he was careful not to lay too many eggs in one basket (as with the armor and weapons) in case any cache or account were discovered and/or looted. A trip to EACH ONE of these could be a complete, seperate campaign, but more importantly they can be yet another chance for our characters to venture forth as a party and learn to be a cohesive team.

In addition, this also builds a certain level of trust with the GM, because in writing out such a detailed history there are WAY fewer opportunities to say, "Oh, my character did _________ before. It should be in his skill set." This means that if there is anything I'd like to add to the character sheet I have to ASK for it, not just whine and wheedle about it. I also find that usually a GM is receptive to the addition if I can add some more details to my write up.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get ultra-detailed, but I generally write about a page's worth of stuff as background for my characters.

I've had a couple of characters from a particularly defunct mercenary group, the old one was kind of a grizzled old sargeant, been there, done that kind of guy, now I'm playing a younger demolitions guy from the same unit. The basic plot of the background is that the unit was betrayed to the Empire and wiped out. The only survivors (so far) are my two characters and the one who betrayed them.

I'm going off on a tangent, but the point is that I like my characters to have a motivation (revenge, in this case) and with a detailed enough background, it gives my GM hooks to use in game, which he's been doing lately, so my character can get closer to his goals, and I have the fun of having some of my ideas become integral to the plot.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about.

Even if you're NOT the GM, it's always cool to have been a part of making the story come alive!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
For instance, I have a Jedi in one of Jamfke's PbP games set about six months after EPI III.

Whom a couple of clones have tied up at the moment Twisted Evil. Man, we've really got to get back to that one and see what's gonna happen to Ridge.

Wanted Poster
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we do. And one of those clones is more then willing to blow out the 'jedis' brain pan. Twisted Evil

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: