The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Parry Bonus or Penalty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Parry Bonus or Penalty?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Parry Bonus or Penalty? Reply with quote

This is inspired by the Melee and Parry discussion over in Official Rules.

While responding, it occured to me that I've always treated parries the same, regardless of what either combatant was actually wielding. The specific scenario I envision is a knife trying to parry a vibroaxe or force pike. I'm just not seeing it. Does anyone have house rules that take this sort of thing into account?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, you might give penalties/bonuses like with bargaining/forgery...

+15 to the attacker if he has an overwhelming advantage like a force pike against a kitchen knife.
+10 to the attacker if he has a moderate advantage, like a vibro sword against that knife.
+5 if the attacker has a slight advantage, like a regular sword or a vibro dagger against the knife..
-5 if the defender has a slight advantage
and so on..
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree, I'd say it comes down to how you define "parry," in the sense of Melee Parry. I've seen this mentioned in at least 1 other thread, so I'll try to keep it short.

If you define "parry" strictly as "blocking" then weapon size is a big issue- a kitchen knife isn't going to be much good at blocking a Gamorrean war axe. If you define "parry" as "not getting hit," then size isn't critical, but may still be important.

As I understand it, when two people fight each other using weapons of different size, it goes something like this: the person with the larger weapon tries to keep the opponent far away, while the person with the shorter weapon tries to get past his opponent's defense and fight from close-quarters where the larger weapon doesn't work so well. However, this doesn't strike me as a good basis for RPG combat rules.

I agree that there should be at least a basic rule for situations like this, but nothing is coming to mind for me.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melee Parry can also be understood as deflecting a blow, and in that a smaller weapons is not at such a disadvantage. Changing the angle of attack does not really require a big weapon.

All in all I'd say that such a bonus/penalty is not vital enough to the realism of the scene to tarnish the simplicity of the current rules with an added table.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me. I'll just keep it simple unless one of the players really wants to hash out a specific scene. Many thanks! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: