The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking submissions for new book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taking submissions for new book Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Taking submissions for new book Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I'm taking submissions for the Force Powers document. This book will feature a separate small section of fan-made Force powers.

I have a few submission guidelines:

1. The powers should not duplicate abilities already featured in an already existing Force power, either from the WEG line or converted from the WotC line (we have a separate section for conversions). The conversions may be found at the link below:

2. They should be in the flavor of the powers presented in the films. Meaning they should not provide esceedingly super-human power that is unprecidented such as the ability to teleport, warp matter, etc. However some video game adaptations may be accepted.

3. Please be open for critique or modification suggestions posted in this room.

4. Remember that not all Force-powers will be able to be accepted.

Last edited by cheshire on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like feedback on this power. I thought it was merited after I saw the Yoda/Dooku fight in AotC.

Quote:

Redirect Energy
Control Difficulty: Difficult
Alter Difficulty: Very Difficulty or target’s dodge or roll
Required Powers: Absorb/dissipate energy
Effect: After the Jedi has successfully absorbed an energy attack using absorb/dissipate energy; he or she may hold the energy (Difficult control roll), and then redirect the energy in the direction he or she chooses (Very Difficult alter roll). If the Jedi fails the alter roll, then the energy will be sent wildly off target (as determined by the grenade scatter diagram). If the bolt hits any sentient being other than the original attacker, the Jedi receives one Dark Side Point. The energy is not sent off target if it is merely dodged.

I feel like there's something that just isn't quite right, but I'm not sure what it is. Also, someone on another board suggested that this might already be a d20 power. Anyone know if that's true?
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hears one

Force Sight
Sence
Sence Difficulty: 0-5m V.Easy, 5-10m Easy, 10-25 Moderate, 25-50m Difficult, 50-100m V.Difficult, 100m+ but still within line of sight Heroic.
Requiered Powers: Magnify Senses, Shift Senses
Time to Use One Action
This power can be kept up
Effect: The Force Adept gains the ability to Precive their sourndings through Vibrations in the Force. this "Sight" is Omni-Derectional and egnores Darkness, Obsquerment and all but full Cover. if an object or aera is Cloked from the Force it will be renderd invisible to Force Sight.
this power is like the Miraluka peoples natral Force Sight Ability, infact any Miraluka Force Adept with "1D" or more in Sence recives this power in adition to any ohthers and loweres all Sense Difficulties by one rank.
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an Other

Force Stun
Control/Alter
Controll Difficulty: Moderate or opposed by target's Controll
Alter Difficulty:0-5m V.Easy, 5-10m Easy, 10-25 Moderate, 25-50m Difficult, 50-100m V.Difficult, 100m+ but still within line of sight Heroic or opposed by target's Controll.
Time to Use: One Action
Effect: Stun Damage equal to the Force Adepts Alter Dice Code
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these three powers so far presented are valid powers to be included. Yoda uses Redirect Energy in Ep2, the Miraluka do have a Force Sight and it's feasible that other Jedi should be able to have it as well, and I think Force Stun might be what Qui-Gon used on Jar Jar in the Bongo.

If the mechanics are top notch, that's another question, and one which I'll take a little time to answer fully.

So far, I do think Force Stun should work on contact only. I don't see a Jedi waving his hand and enemies 50m away dropping unconcious, it feels wrong. Walking up to an enemy and doing the "Force Vulcan pinch" seems more plausable. I'd also allow Perception to resist the Control roll, and it needs some prerequisites like "accelerate another's healing" and maybe "Dim another's senses".
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way I saw things was "Force Sight" was what Luke tried against the Stinger Drone with the Blast Sheild Down on the Falcon in the Training Seen in "New Hope", and I had the same idear for Force Stun, which is ment to be the Jedi "Force Lightning" and Guilt free "Projected Fighting" equlevent.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'd like feedback on this power. I thought it was merited after I saw the Yoda/Dooku fight in AotC.

Quote:

Redirect Energy
Control Difficulty: Difficult
Alter Difficulty: Very Difficulty or target’s dodge or roll
Required Powers: Absorb/dissipate energy
Effect: After the Jedi has successfully absorbed an energy attack using absorb/dissipate energy; he or she may hold the energy (Difficult control roll), and then redirect the energy in the direction he or she chooses (Very Difficult alter roll). If the Jedi fails the alter roll, then the energy will be sent wildly off target (as determined by the grenade scatter diagram). If the bolt hits any sentient being other than the original attacker, the Jedi receives one Dark Side Point. The energy is not sent off target if it is merely dodged.

I feel like there's something that just isn't quite right, but I'm not sure what it is. Also, someone on another board suggested that this might already be a d20 power. Anyone know if that's true?

I personally think that what's missing is some expansion on this concept. Some people might think this going a bit overboard, which is why I want to lay it out here and now so we can get it resolved.

I believe this power shouldn't be limited to redirecting the energy into an attack. (I know I'll be hearing some groans when I mention the EU, but I'm going there anyway.) In the book "I, Jedi," Corran Horn absorbs stinger bolts from a remote and channels that energy into a shield to protect himself and Mara Jade from further attacks, since they were both faltering in blocking the bolts with their lightsabers. I personally interpret this to mean the Jedi is able to channel this new incoming energy into different Force effects. In other places in that same book, both Corran and his ancestor Neeja Halcyon Absorb energy and channel it into Telekinesis, a Force power that the Halcyon line is notoriously un-talented in.

Now, I don't know how you'd want to break it down as far as determining difficulty numbers for different uses... I can see arguments both for and against the application of MAPS when using this power, so that's something we'd need to work out. But I've been a proponent all along of this kind of use for Absorb/Dissipate, and there are people out there who will AND who won't allow the use of A/D in this manner, so creating this new and separate power (with A/D as a required power) is a very good way to solve that particular dilemma.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds very cool. A form of advanced Abosrb/Dissipate Energy that lets you use that energy for your own powers. The difficulty should be very high, since this is something that can potentially turn the Jedi into a juggernaut. I think it should work in some exchange system, like converting the potential damage absorbed into bonus dice for powers used in that same round.

Here's my take on it:

Harvest Energy (not sure about the name)

Control Difficulty:
Easy = Sunburn
Moderate = Intense Sun
Difficult = Solar Wind
Very Difficult = Radiation Storm

Characters may use this power for energy attacks, such as blasters and Force Lightning - the difficulty is Difficult plus the damage roll of the attack.

Alter Difficulty: Difficult

Effect: This power allows the Jedi to harvest energy, including light, heat, radiation, blaster bolts and Force Lightning, and use it on his own Force Powers. A successful Control roll means the energy is absorved. If the user fails the roll, he takes full damage from the energy. A successful Alter roll means the energy is harvested and can be used. If the user fails the roll, he takes half damage from the energy (rounded up). The harvested energy must be used in the same or next round in the form of a bonus to Force Skills equal to the amount of damage the character would have sustained. Example: If the user harvests a blaster bolt (4D), he then has a +4D bonus to use on Force skills until the next round. This bonus can be broken up among different Force skills. The character must activate the power in the same round to absorb the blaster bolt or Force Lightning - the character must be able to roll the power before the attack lands. He can't use this power after the attack has hit.

So, that's it. What do you think? I like that you could use the bonus on your next Harvest Energy roll, and so you could resist a blaster shower through a self-feeding cycle.

Oh, and I think normal MAPs should apply. Comparing this to the usual Absorb/Dissipate Energy power, this one is technically two difficulty levels harder (one level for the raised Control difficulties and another because it's a 2-skill power), which I think balances nicely the benefits it offers. This is a risky power for an inexperienced Jedi to use, cause there's a greater chance he might fail the Control roll and suffer the full damage, but once you're powerful enough to handle it, you can do wonders with it. (Can't you just picture that stupid Jedi character saying to his buddy: "Shoot me! Shoot me now! It's the only way I'll be able to levitate the X-Wing! No, not the hold-out! Use the light repeating!" - makes new character)

The only problem is, this still does not really takes care of Yoda's action in Ep2, since he would need to have the Force Lightning power to do what he did....

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC-032 wrote:
...and I had the same idear for Force Stun, which is ment to be the Jedi "Force Lightning" and Guilt free "Projected Fighting" equlevent.

Th thing is, I don't think a Jedi's life should be so easy. The dark side is easy, where you can drop your enemies from a distance with a hand wave. The Jedi's path is the hard one, where he has to put himself into more danger if he wants to do the right thing and get rid of an enemy without killing him. Simply put, with a Force Power that allows you to knock people unconscious from far away, it would be to easy to be good and noble.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't you just picture that stupid Jedi character saying to his buddy: "Shoot me! Shoot me now! It's the only way I'll be able to levitate the X-Wing! No, not the hold-out! Use the light repeating!" - makes new character)

LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's flippin' hilarious, dude!

I like what you're doing with the idea, Gry. That's actually the kind of think I was picturing- specifically meaning the self-feeding cycle. I actually wrote out a sequence like that on a site where I was doing a completely story-based rpg, where everything was simply being written out and everyone reacted to everyone else's posts. I had a Jedi who Absorbed a blaster bolt on his palm, channeled that energy into a Force Shield, and kept feeding the oncoming attacks into the shield, making it stronger as his enemies kept attacking. It's a good method for a Jedi to assume the defensive role, allowing his opponents to use up their ammo against a shield that ain't comin' down... not with small arms fire.

I like the idea about having the Jedi use the bonus either immediately or in the next round. That's kinda what I was figuring. And having standard MAPS apply is a good method for forcing Jedi to use low-powered energy sources (like a lightsaber remote) for gathering the energy to be used. If they use remotes, then it'll continue to drive home the notion that "Yeah, you can do this, but you'd better do it right or else you're really gonna pay" if they decide to try it in battle.

A lower-ranked Jedi might be able to pull it off if they A)Sense the impending attack through Danger Sense or by simply winning initiative, and B)are able to use Concentration to use the bonus +4D to make the roll with. Even with that, though, it'll require enough time to bring Concentration to bear, so it's going to be a close one regardless, which still makes it somewhat unadviseable for the neophyte looking to live to the next battle.

As for Yoda's actions in EPI II, I've wondered about that. If the little green guy doesn't actually have Force Lightning, then it would be explained by one of two things: A) The extra GM message in the sourcebook that said something about being able to "create powers" for effects not covered by the list in the book, or B) The Force equivalent to "Omni-Power" found in DC Heroes, which is used to give the hero a power through which they can mimic other powers, even though they don't personally possess the power whose effects they're achieving. The hero has a rating in Omni Power, and he can duplicate the effects of any other power up to his own rating of OP, but can't go over that level. If you wanted to try and impose the same kind of restrictions on Jedi characters, then perhaps you might limit the range to which they can hurl lightning or something along those lines. I'm not sure how to do it, but I'm sure some of our more industrious souls probably already have it worked out in their heads, just waiting for someone like me to raise the issue... Razz
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC-032 wrote:
And an Other

Force Stun
Control/Alter
Controll Difficulty: Moderate or opposed by target's Controll
Alter Difficulty:0-5m V.Easy, 5-10m Easy, 10-25 Moderate, 25-50m Difficult, 50-100m V.Difficult, 100m+ but still within line of sight Heroic or opposed by target's Controll.
Time to Use: One Action
Effect: Stun Damage equal to the Force Adepts Alter Dice Code

I think that WotC has a power kind of like this. It requies contact, and it more or less puts a person into a hibernation trance. There's another one that I found in the Jedi handbook that puts people to sleep.
Here's the link for the converted powers:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=51E1EA010D23C0FF

(I'll edit my first post so we have it at the top too.)

Okay, here's the converted power:

Quote:

Morichro
Source: Power of the Jedi Sourcebook, page 16.
Control Difficulty: Moderate, modified by proximity.
Alter Difficulty: Perception or Control roll of the target.
Required Powers: Accelerate another’s healing, control another's pain, control pain, hibernation trance, injure/kill, life detection, life sense, place another in hibernation trance.
Note: A character with more than two Dark Side Points cannot utilize the power.
Warning: If the target of this power dies for any reason while being under its influence, the Force-user who initiated the power gains a Dark Side Point.
Effect: This power is an offensive variation of place another in hibernation trance. It allows a Force-user to put someone into a trance-like state. If the target fails his Perception or control roll to resist this power, in addition to rolling a “1” on the Wild Die, the target immediately dies and the user of the power gains one Dark Side Point.
The target can spent a Force point in order to escape immediate death. When used against a living being, morichro has a maximum range of 10 meters. The effects are otherwise identical to the place another in hibernation trance power.

Another from the PTM sourcebook

Quote:

Induce Tranquility
Control Difficulty:
Moderate; or target’s opposed Perception or control roll.
Alter Difficulty: Moderate, modified by agitation of target character; modified by relationship
Required Powers: Control pain, control another’s pain
Effect: With this power, a Jedi can induce a state of enhanced calm in another being, even to the point of inducing near-sleep in another sentient. The user simply reaches out in the Force to the opposing mind, and calms it through waves of almost dreamlike reassurance. The affected person is generally quieted emotionally, but the Jedi can also intensify use of the power to induce a near-vegetative state that lasts for up to a half-an- hour. Jedi healers have been known to make frequent use of this power when treating casualties in times if war, usually in conjunction with control another's pain.

This power can be used on aggressive targets to incapacitate them. A Jedi can direct this power at up to three characters at once, provided those characters are within 5 meters of one another, and cannot see the Jedi (use of this power on a group is normally only possible from a hiding spot near the targets), hence this is a very useful power for a Jedi attempting to get into a guarded facility with a minimum of attention. Though the targets remain conscious, they are only marginally so. Characters awakening from the state of induced tranquility are often somewhat confused, but not usually aware that they have been manipulated in any way.

Qui-Gon Jinn uses this power on Jar Jar Binks during the journey in the Gungan sub in Episode I.

And another from the Jedi Handbook (that I plan on HEAVILY modifying)

Quote:

Induced Sleep
Sense Difficulty: The target’s willpower, stamina, or Control
Modified by Relationship & Proximity
Alter Difficulty: Very Easy => 1 Target
Easy => 2 Targets
Moderate => 4 Targets
Difficult => 8 Targets
Very Diff => 12 Targets
Heroic => 20+ Targets
· 10 If target is tired or has failed a stamina roll.
· 5 If the user first uses Affect Mind to convince the target that they are tired.
+0 If target is not actively doing something that requires complete
attention.
+5 If target is doing something that requires attention.
+10 If target is actively doing something that requires attention.
+20 If the target is actively engaged in combat or is in a combat
situation.
Required Power: Dim Another’s Senses, Affect Mind
Effect: Induced sleep allows a Jedi to put a target into a deep sleep, from which the target cannot be awakened while the power is in effect. Sleep lasts for 1D6 hours after this power is discontinued, however targets can be awakened before that time by natural means. If the Jedi or anyone "with" the Jedi harms the target while they are helpless, the Jedi receives a Dark Side Point. This power cannot affect Droids or creatures who do not require sleep.
This power can be kept up but the Jedi must make a new power roll whenever he adds or switches targets.

The induce sleep might be better if it's modified to relfect what C'boath was doing in Dark Force Rising. But we should evaluate if they are powers performing different tasks, or essentially the same power repeated. If it's the later, then we should eliminate the redundancy.

Last edited by cheshire on Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yes, that sounds very cool. A form of advanced Abosrb/Dissipate Energy that lets you use that energy for your own powers. The difficulty should be very high, since this is something that can potentially turn the Jedi into a juggernaut. I think it should work in some exchange system, like converting the potential damage absorbed into bonus dice for powers used in that same round.

If anything, I'm not sure it replaces the idea of redirecting the energy partly because of what you said about Yoda needing to use Force ligtning on Dooku. Though it may stand on its own as a Force power.

However, do you think it is in genre to convert energy into Force ability? I think it sounds pretty dang cool, but at the same time you could have a blaster-powered Jedi.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at first I loved it, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike it. The idea of using blaster power to enhance an Affect Mind roll really doesn't sound right. I think there might still be something useful in this power, but it needs some change. Perhaps reducing it exclusively to the sort of "Force shield" Jedi Skyler described, since it is presented in an EU novel.

I guess then that for the Yoda thing, we should go with that Redirect Energy power or something similar.

As for Force Stun, I think those two WOTC powers look quite good, and fill every purpose we know. I don't see the need for any of those home-made powers like PC-032's Force Stun and the Jedi Handbook's Induce Sleep. Morichro and Induce Tranquility are all the "stun attacks" we might need.

About that PDF you posted, are you sure those are ALL of Wizards Force Powers not covered by WEG? There are other books besides Hero's Guide that were not covered by The Rebellion. Are you sure there are no new powers in books like Geonosis and the Outer Rim, Galactic Campaign Guide, Ultimate Alien Anthlogy and Ultimate Adversaries?

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "Best" complasion list of force powers I've found to date (Canon for D6) is the "Tails of the Jedi Companion" (WEG 40082, 1996).
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to propose a small change to the Morichro power, the Control difficulty needs fixing. It's supposed to be Moderate, modified by proximity. But then the maximum range is later said to be 10 meters. So that means it's either Moderate for touching, Moderate +2 for up to 10 meters with line of sight, or Moderate +5 for out of sight. I think since those are only 3 different difficulties, we could make things simpler by spelling out the difficulties and eliminating the need to consult the Proximity table.

I would like there to be a signifficant difficulty difference between a contact attack and a ranged one, not just a mere +2 (for the reasons I've stated in a post above). How about:

Touching = Moderate
Line of sight up to 10 meters = Very Difficult
Out of sight up to 10 meters = Heroic

Knocking out someone who's in a completely different room should be the stuff of Masters.... and this would force weaker Jedi to get creative and find a way to come in contact with its target to ensure an easier roll.

And as a side note, I don't think it's neccessary to state that "When used against a living being, morichro...". What else could you use this power against, but a living being?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: