The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking submissions for new book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taking submissions for new book Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually watched more of the CW cartoon than blurbs I've seen on the sample they were playing when I've been in Wal Mart, so I couldn't even begin to give any feedback on this one. Sorry, guys.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this power ever directed at anything that was actually alive?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, only at droids and their machines.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're on the right track for this power, Cheshire, with your "blast through" view of it. Concerning damage, I wouldn't take what we see in the cartoon at face value. The official site itself said that the cartoon represents a more "exaggerated" view of events. So I think we can safely tone that power down a bit for realism and game balance.

If we followed the cartoon, we'd have to rescale Telekinesis so Yoda could bump capital ships around and Mace could wave off whole armies of droids...
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cartoon clearly contradicts the movies themselves when it comes to the powers of the Jedi.

In any event, since this power was never used against anything that was actually alive, make that a limitation of the power and be done with it. No DSPs needed.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The whole blocking Force Lightning with a lightsaber is not something I really want to tackle in a Force Power. You can work that out with other mechanics.

Would I be incorrect that either the straight Lightsaber skill or the Lightsaber Combat power would be the preferred methods for blocking Force Lightning, just as with blaster bolts? I mean, you're not going to be redirecting lightning, but I'd think LC would help increase your chances of catching it on your blade...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
cheshire wrote:
The whole blocking Force Lightning with a lightsaber is not something I really want to tackle in a Force Power. You can work that out with other mechanics.

Would I be incorrect that either the straight Lightsaber skill or the Lightsaber Combat power would be the preferred methods for blocking Force Lightning, just as with blaster bolts? I mean, you're not going to be redirecting lightning, but I'd think LC would help increase your chances of catching it on your blade...

That's more or less how I would handle it. It wouldn't take much tweaking to say that if your LC roll exceeds [whatever] then you block the shot. Maybe that's something that we could tackle in the Ways of the Force Handbook (or whatever we're calling that other work).
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna add my 2 centicreds in here for just a sec..

Remembering RotJ, the Emperor's Force Lightning was almost an AREA effect (covering most of Luke) ...

I'm just wondering how you can use a lightsaber to block that??

Blasters/Lasers/slugthrowers/etc, I can see. They're coming in on a vector - single line.

Since Force Lightning covers SEVERAL vectors at once... can you really do that?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this forum's prequel dislike aside, Mace used his saber against Palp's Force Lightning. Maybe he used his saber as a conduit for Absorb/Disipate Energy? He probably could have done it sort of like Yoda against Dooku using only his hands, but Mace was still wielding his saber after the duel, so instead of taking that brief moment to toss it aside or simply drop it, he just put it between himself and the lightning, then channeled the above mentioned power to hold it at bay.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... THAT I can see... Absorb/dissipate... but not blocking...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Absorb/Dissipate with a saber's aide, not a simple blocking. It could be a sort of combo of the two powers, I don't know. The thing that bothers me a bit is how easily OB1 does it with his lightsaber against Dooku, while Yoda himself against Dooku shows a lot more strain.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to reconcile that difference would be the only difference between the two: Obi Wan used his lightsaber, while Yoda just busted out an Ironman move and took it all himself with no aide but the Force.

Perhaps the lightsaber itself DOES act like a lightning rod (ok, small pun intended) and attracts all the lightning to itself, since it is after all energy. If THAT'S the case, then I'd think it would simply require a successful Lightsaber skill roll to catch the lightning on the blade.

THAT would explain the apparent difference in effort expended by Obi Wan and Yoda.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but wouldn't explain the difference between OB1 and Mace, would it?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Yoda considered to be like one of the greatest masters of the Force? Maybe that was just a showing of his own abilities over that of Obi Wan and Mace. Perhaps using a saber was the only way they could channel the Force Lightning, but Yoda could do it bare handed. Makes sense to me anyways...
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've done with Kit Fisto's power. I'm not particularly proud of it, but I think it will work as a functional first draft. We can tear it apart from here.

Quote:

Aquatic Force
Alter Difficulty: Easy for a bubble 1-2 meters in diameter; Moderate for a bubble 3-5 meters in diameter; Difficult for a bubble 6-9 meters in diameter; Very Difficult for a bubble 10-14 in diameter; Heroic for a bubble 15-20 meters in diameter.
Required Powers: Telekinesis
Warning: If a character uses this power to harm a living being, he or she gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: This power was originally developed by Kit Fisto during the Old Republic. The original intent of the power was to clear out sub aquatic passages and submerged lava tubes. Kit Fisto was able to summon the power of the Force to create a great ball of water that he could hurl in a direct line. The useful effect was that it cleared away all debris and loose material so the passage could be utilized for other purposes.
There have been reports that Kit Fisto may have used this power against droid soldiers and vehicles during the war. However, these rumors have yet to be solidly confirmed.
In game terms, a Jedi using this power must be underwater to use this power. Using the power of the Force he creates a sphere of water that is under his limited control. He may hurl the ball of water in the direction that he chooses. If the Jedi wishes to throw the ball of aquatic force at a particular object, the gamemaster chooses the Strength of the structure or debris (the default strength of an object is 2D unless otherwise declared). The aquatic force does 4D damage in character scale on an Easy or Moderate roll; speeder scale for a Difficult or Very Difficult roll; and walker scale for a Heroic roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: