The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking submissions for new book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taking submissions for new book Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good first draft, Chesh, though it certainly needs more work. I like the general direction, I just think we can make the mechanics a bit more clear, as it is it's weird to have size difficulties in one place and damage difficulties in another. On the flavor stuff, I like the historical view. A "sphere of water" underwater seems a bit strange, maybe we could find a better definition for it, maybe something to do with "surface tension" or whatever tha force that governs bubbles is called.

I'll try to take a stab at it tomorrow...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the last paragraph we could say something to the effect of:

The aquatic force does 4D damage, though scale varies depending on the size of the bubble. It is character scale for 1-5 meters in diameter; speeder for a bubble 6-14 in diameter; and walker scale for a bubble 15-20 meters in diameter.

Or should we include the scale in the difficulty?

Easy for a bubble 1-2 meters in diameter (character scale); Moderate for a bubble 3-5 meters in diameter (character scale); Difficult for a bubble 6-9 meters in diameter (speeder scale); Very Difficult for a bubble 10-14 in diameter (speeder scale); Heroic for a bubble 15-20 meters in diameter (walker scale).
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiration struck me in the shower. Please give me feedback on this power. I think it's good, but it may need some tweaking. I'm especially interested in knowing whether or not it needs any prerequisite powers.

Quote:

Raise/Lower Temperature
Control Difficulty: Easy
Required Powers:?
This power may be kept up
Effect: When successfully activated, this power allows the Jedi a stricter control over her body temperature. By speeding or slowing her metabolism she is able to change her core temperature, thereby allowing her to be more resilient to environmental changes. Whether these changes be due to malfunctioning life support systems, or harsh wilderness temperatures, the Force user can withstand greater heat and cold than most beings.

In game terms raise/lower temperature allows the Jedi to add bonus dice to her survival skill roll to live in much harsher environments than she would normally be able to. The amount of bonus dice depends on the Jedi’s skill roll.

Roll beats difficulty by:.......Survival skill bonus
0-5...................................+2D
6-14.................................+3D
15-21...............................+4D
25+..................................+5D

If this one works out, then we can do Raise/Lower Another's Temperature.

Of course, I should probably change this to "Control Temperature," and avoid talking about raising or lowering your temperature. Generally if you're freezing to death or dying of heat stroke, you're trying to maintain your core temperature.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Required powers: Hibernation Trance and Absorb/Dissipate Energy.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
Required powers: Hibernation Trance and Absorb/Dissipate Energy.

Really? I don't think these feel quite right, specially Absorb/Dissipate Energy. I don't see these "water bubbles" and being energy-charged or anything, more like kinetic energy, which comes from the TK...
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means with the Raise/Lower Temperature
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! I didn't even see that you'd posted it. In that case I guess those pre-reqs make sense....

I like the power, but I'm not sure a bonus to Survival is the way to go. The way I see it, Survival would mean knowing HOW to keep yourself warm (finding insulation, making a fire, gutting a Tauntaun, etc) but not resisting cold with your body. That, I think, would be Stamina, or simply Strength. Another thing, a Jedi could use this power to mask his heat signature from sensors, or some alien species....
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only thing about so radically changing your temperature that you can fool sensors and things is that the Jedi should be restricted to keeping their bodies within certain parameters. Once you drop your temperature so low, it winds up stopping your heart. Raise it too high, and the protiens in your brain denature and break down.

I'm pretty negotiable as far as the mechanics, but I have done a little bit of research for this one. I've looked at some WEG stats for body gloves, armor and things of that sort. They usually go one of two directions. They either add to the survival and stamina rolls for living in the environments. (That being the case, you're right, and I should add to the stamina roll in addition to survival.)

They other direction they go is to designate in what temperature range it allows the wearer to survive. In terms of the Force power, it seemed too complicated to try to figure out at what ranges a human could survive, let alone if it were an alien Jedi, and do a chart based on difficulty.

Given that precident, would it be fair to just add stamina in addition to the surivival roll?
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Aquatic Force revision Reply with quote

Quote:

Aquatic Force
Alter Difficulty: Easy for a bubble 1-2 meters in diameter (character scale); Moderate for a bubble 3-5 meters in diameter (character scale); Difficult for a bubble 6-9 meters in diameter (speeder scale); Very Difficult for a bubble 10-14 in diameter (speeder scale); Heroic for a bubble 15-20 meters in diameter (walker scale).
Required Powers: Telekinesis
Warning: If a character uses this power to harm a living being, he or she gains an immediate Dark Side Point.
Effect: This power was originally developed by Kit Fisto during the Old Republic. The original intent of the power was to clear out sub aquatic passages and submerged lava tubes. Kit Fisto was able to summon the power of the Force to create a great a sphere of surface tension that he could hurl in a direct line. The useful effect was that it cleared away all debris and loose material so the passage could be utilized for other purposes.
There have been reports that Kit Fisto may have used this power against droid soldiers and vehicles during the Clone Wars. However, these rumors have yet to be solidly confirmed.
In game terms, a Jedi using this power must be underwater to use this power. Using the power of the Force he creates surface tension that is under his limited control. He may hurl the shpere in the direction that he chooses. If the Jedi wishes to throw the aquatic force at a particular object, the gamemaster chooses the Strength of the structure or debris (the default strength of an object is 2D unless otherwise declared). The aquatic force does 4D damage, though the scale varies depending on the size of the aquatic Force.

Feel free to tweak this in your own language all you want.

For that matter, feel free to do a revision of Raise/Lower Temperature. Though I'm really thinking that one (as it's currently written) should probably be Control Temperature. Anyway, one way or the other, feel free to tweak and re-write.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a couple possibilities for the Control Body Temperature idea...

First and foremost, it allows the Jedi to survive in adverse environments. In this scenario, I'd even think this power would be used to maintain one's body temperature, rather than actually raising or lowering it. Thus the Jedi can shrug off uncomfortably high or low temperatures, and can survive for a period of time in severely adverse conditions.

The second idea revolves around adjusting one's body temp to fool IR sensory devices. I'm wondering if we could perhaps tweak this even further so that the Jedi isn't actually altering their whole body's temperature; rather, they're changing the surface temperature, which would basically be what the sensors would detect. Certainly, the Jedi couldn't keep this up indefinitely, as skin damage would occur and could possibly spread to the organs. But I would think it would provide a temperate zone- a buffer, if you will, that could fool sensors without putting the Jedi in danger of raising or lowering their core temp to dangerous levels.

What do ya think?
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wry grins*

I'm thinking that it using the 2d idea... it might be a good way to keep a tan through the winter months... Laughing
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what I'm hearing is that the power really should be used to do both baffle heat sensors and survive in drastic conditions?

I've been thinking about it and it's science fiction, not science. I think I can draft some simple mechanics to drop in. I'll post them today or tomorrow. Anyone wanting to tinker with them can.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Star Wars science doesn't have to be completely realistic. I like Skyler's idea of controlling your inner temperature to sustain environmental extremes or your external temperature to fool sensors and the like. It's a decent explanation, with an imposed limit of how long you can mask your heat signature before you start taking damage from frostbite, etc.

Allowing for this "sensor mask" option just adds a little flair to an otherwise pretty dull power.

And I agree that it should be called Control Temperature instead of Raise/Lower...
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from a medical perspective, the largest organ on the human body, or any body for that matter is the skin. Actually changing the surface temperature would wreak havoc on internal systems. I think something that speeds up or slows down the particles surrounding the Jedi to heat up or cool down to baffle IR sensors or creature vision while at the same time keeping the Jedi comfortable would work. However, now that I think of it, using the Force is not always the most "comfortable" thing to do, so perhaps actually cooling or heating your skin would require some Stamina rolls after a certain duration to maintain it or risk self injury. Yeah, I like the second point better.

Hope I was able to adequately confuse.
E
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, how about this... Two separate powers: Maintain Body Temperature and Aura of Cold. The second power saps the heat energy from a layer of air about five centimeters from the skin while holding in the heat within that area. This lets you avoid frostbite while providing stealth against IR sensors. You need Maintain Body Temperature as a prerequisite for Aura of Cold. I leave the details to you fine folks to hammer out.

Alter Temperature is another power that leaps to mind that actually affects the ambient temperature around the Jedi. This power would require Maintain Body Temperature and Aura of Cold and would mainly be useful for helping a group of people stay warm or cool.

You could really extrapolate for days on this same basic theme... If it could concievably be accomplished by pyrokinesis or cryokinesis, it's fair game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: