The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc. Reply with quote

What do you do when you create an NPC or a custom planet or system and other Game Masters use your creations for their adventures and then change them or destroy them when they are playing with mutual players. If a game master changes something you created when playing with your players you almost have to accept those changes because the players were there when the changes occured. What would you do?
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer that players make different characters for each GM they play with. That way the GM has total control over his campaign and the characters that are part of it. I would also say that if players do use the same characters for different GMs, the GMs would agree not to use/alter anything that another GM created. I'm not sure what I would do if this did happen though. I think I would probably just create a replacement NPC/planet/system, etc. I would make it VERY similar to the original and just pick up the story where it left off using this new replacement. It might seem kind of cheesy, but there aren't many options if you put a lot of work into developing something and still want to use it.

Oh yeah, and I would kick the butt of the GM who did it to me... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, each game master is in charge of his own universe, and i don't find it wrong for one gm from the group to use a similar back story for his game as one of the other gms at our table, the players always need to make new characters, although the funny thing with new characters, is that if a player finds something they like about their character, it manages to shine through even a new name or a new sheet.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I co-directed a campaign once. I simply handed the other director a list of things for him not to do and asked him for a similiar list. Sometimes I asked him specifically to do something so the group would be set up when we switched directors. These worked out just fine.

And I got to play, instead of directing all the time.
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really good idea about co-Game Mastering a campaign. Our group always played with one Game Master but players reused characters no matter who was GMing. That would be an idea, try it where in a campaign eachg part of the campaign is GMed by a different player. Everyone gets to play, and everyone gets to run part of the campaign.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, Volar.

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I once played with a new director who didn't feel he had enough imagination to create a whole planet on his own. So he created a balkanized planet (different governments on one planet - like Earth) and allowed each player to write up one country/continent. Everyone had a blast when one country decided to rebel against The Empire and The Empire took it as a planetary rebellion. I can still remember the news announcer "Uh, I'm not sure what this means...)

One director ran the planet, but it was fun to watch each character fiercly defend his own country.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... that's cool. 8)

Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of chaos theory so my universe changes depending on my mood and experience, or lack of. Over the years my universe, like any good story, has a life of its own. I can't right my wrongs, merely live though them. My Independent Campaign universe is filled with many non-star wars elements, but at its heart its deeply rooted to star wars and the idea of having fun and exploring the imagination.
I would prefer that other GMs not use my original works, like characters, aliens or planets, because I don't keep notes, it's all in my head. I have grand plans for my creations. At the very least I'd liked to be asked first anyway.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most anytime someone else wants to GM we all make new characters and he changes the time frame or setting so it doesn't interfer i play with a pretty tight nit group of guys so i fortunantly don't have to fear weather or not they would ask me if they could use the NPC's i've created but its really not that hard to do if you have most of the source books they have a planet generation tables in Planets Collections and Npc's are pretty easy if you know what you want to do with your campaign and there are always plenty of Imperial Npc's out there that you could use to make baddies. or republic for that matter. My biggest suggestion is that when you start to GM a new Game I Generally by a new spiral notebook to make all my npc's in and take notes and stuff like that. so if someone else wants to use it i have it all there. i don't generally write down future plot ideas i just work them out in my head and make up the npc's that way no one could swipe my notebook and know whats going to happen i only write down what has already happened.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I go through the trouble of creating something and someone wantonly messes with it, I tend to get a little irritated. To me that’s just disrespectful of your creation.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play with characters that were created else where and I wouldn't allow characters that were created with me, or anything that I created to be played elsewhere since anything I have designed was created with specific intent for my quests. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Idea I once played with a new director who didn't feel he had enough imagination to create a whole planet on his own. So he created a balkanized planet (different governments on one planet - like Earth) and allowed each player to write up one country/continent. Everyone had a blast when one country decided to rebel against The Empire and The Empire took it as a planetary rebellion. I can still remember the news announcer "Uh, I'm not sure what this means...)

One director ran the planet, but it was fun to watch each character fiercly defend his own country.

Thats a really good idea, it must have been fun 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have two of the same characters in different games, I copy them and make them play it as if they were in completely different universes.

I want the freedom to change, add or destroy anything for the sake of the story/quest or game.

One thing that I am tough on is stuff that players have created for other games, custom races and equipement as well as ships, need to be looked at carefully for two things, proper balance and above all it should feel like something that belongs in Star Wars or in the case of other games, it should belong in that universe.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc. Reply with quote

Rexer wrote:
What do you do when you create an NPC or a custom planet or system and other Game Masters use your creations for their adventures and then change them or destroy them when they are playing with mutual players. If a game master changes something you created when playing with your players you almost have to accept those changes because the players were there when the changes occured. What would you do?

If a GM kills one of your NPCs that you'd like to use later, you may choose not to have them be dead simply by saying the NPC killed was actually a clone, a droid made to look and act like the NPC, or an actor.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: