The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game Masters killing off others NPCs etc. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the maiming rule, also. Check page 98 of the 2nd ed revised book. You can choose to have a character maimed instead of killed, if you choose to. This is a way to get around the problem "by the book". And it might just add a little more spice to the character, such as a horribly scarred face or a bionic limb.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i let others use my stuff, while i still am using it, (or them) i make it a common rule, that unless i OK something they cannot do it. Like one game, i had a major NPC that the other group liked so much their gm adopted him... Then he wanted to kill that npc off just before the players could extract and help him defect. I was told about it before hand and gave full approval. BUT had i not been told. i might go so far, as to deny that gm using any other of my items for a while....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you speak of is actually a common problem for multi-GM campaigns. I have seen it first hand, and I have seen it degenerate to outright wars between GMs (since you killed of my villain last week when you ran, that army of dead you created to terrorise the north has been wiped out by a siege of Paladins...). Worse than anything was when offended GMs started taking it out on the other GM's characters when they were players. This can be a bad thing. While it can be fun to have one common game universe split between multiple GMs, this only works if certain rules and guidelines can be met:
• All GMs need to agree on any new technology, weapons, gear, races, and powers created or added to the campaign world for continuity's sake.
• All GMs must agree to respect the creations, villains, and storylines of the other GMs and not influence, alter, or destroy them without working out the details first with the creating GM and getting approval.
• All GMs must agree to the same house rules, again for continuity's sake.
• All GMs should agree to abide by a list of Do's and Do Not's regarding the campaign, and other GMs.
• All GMs must be the best of roleplayers so as not to be tempted to use GM knowledge with their players character.
• GMs should not switch off until resolving their adventure! "Wait, why are you sending us to Alderaan? my adventure takes place on Dantooine and we have to finish it?"

The GMs involved should set apart about 30 minutes to an hour before each game where GMing is to be handed off, to discuss what nescessary changes or plans need to be dealt with, like a council.
Generally, if agreements such as these can't be met, then it is best to have each GM run a seperate campaign with seperate characters for the players.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that all sounds complicated. I suggest the best rule is to keep it simple though. One GM, one universe. If others want to do something, they can do their own universe and make all new characters.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is generally simpler to have each GM run his own campaign/universe. There are some gaming groups that like to Multi-Gm, but I have generally found that unless the above guidelines are followed to some degree, the GMs start to step on each others toes. You know, too many cooks ruin the broth...
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my group in all of our systems, planets/towns/characters created by a GM stay under the power of that GM. The only way those things created can come up in another GM's adventure is through one of two ways:

1- Equiptment. If a custom piece of equiptment was given to a character through legitamite means (as in, not a piece of bull-s*** armour or weapon that makes no sense), then it can be used in an adventure run by a different GM, unless the running GM does not approve of the equptment. Custom equiptment needs to be brought up to the GM before the mission, so as to get approval, and so the GM knows what he or she is dealing with.

2- NPCs, towns, contacts, etc. These belongs to the creator entirely, and can only be used by other GM's when given express permission to do so. If the GM which created the contact or NPC being requested is present, it is common for us to have iether the original GM run that character, or for the running GM to ask the creater specifics about the NPC (if he would have the requested information, equiptment, contacts, etc.).

~Tahlorn
K_Feldspar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea of two GMs playing in the same universe concurrently is new and strange to me! but seriously...

If I was going to incorporate something of some other GMs creation I would treat it as art. Since it is in my opinion. Therefore, I can not mess with it without their permission. You can't just go around destroying other peoples storylines and plot devices. It's not polite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: