The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber abilities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Lightsaber abilities Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how it works... it just also requires the Force Power Lightsaber Combsat to be active in order for the Jedi to be able to anticipate the location of the bolt to be able to attempt the parry in the first place.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely pertinent to the topic, but this seems like one of those situations that highlights why Jedi should not have children. In a desire to make a non-force sensitive child jedi-like, the master teaches the child how to use a lightsaber. Lacking the force-enhanced senses necessary to use the weapon, the child maims or kills themself. Driven mad by guilt, the Jedi turns to the dark side.

Okay, so that's not necessarily how it will go down, but it could happen.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my point was that the difficulty should be dependant on the firer's roll, not a set difficulty.

And, yeah- I have an image of a toddler running through the house with a lightsaber and the parents screaming, "no no, Billy, no no!"

Twisted Evil
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre, I love this idea.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I guess my point was that the difficulty should be dependant on the firer's roll, not a set difficulty.

It's a little of both. As with other melee weapons, or brawl attacks, the difficulty to parry is based on the attacker's roll... but you still have to meet the weapon's base difficulty. With most weapons, this is an easy task ... with a lightsaber, it's more difficult (some pun intended).

however, the deflection of a blasterbolt with a lightsaber is a special case situation. To move an item in front of an incoming blasterbolt just isn't something a normal (or even exceptionally skilled) person can do; they can't anticipate the location of the bolt and react before it gets there; biological reflexes are just too slow. This is where "jedi reflexes" come into play; it is the Force that allows the Jedi to react fast enough to deflect the bolt. Without the Force to guide/aide you it can't be done... or if it does happen, it's a major fluke... hence having to meet a much higher difficulty to manage to pick off a blaster bolt without the aide of the Lightsaber Combat Force power.

You might be more accurate with your deflection attempt than the attacker is with their shot... but if your reflexes aren't up to the super-being challenge of getting that better accuracy in place on time, you're still getting hit.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I always assumed the difficulty to parry a blaster bolt was dependant on the firer's Blaster roll.

The Jedi would merely need to beat this number; however, if you added difficulty to the firer's roll, it would be harder to parry for the non-Jedi.

IE Steve the Stormtrooper shoots at Jack the Jedi. Steve rolls his 4d Blaster and gets a.... I don't know, a 13. Jack rolls his Lightsaber (after MAPs) and gets a 15. He has parried the bolt.

Which is the least i would do. The closer the shooter is, the more difficulty i would add as he has less time to react (and no force guidance to help out). With my race mentioned above at long range it is +10, and +15 at medium. No possibility at short range (well short for pistols) as it is too close to even get a chance.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and you could add difficulty as you see fit.

I don't know what difficulty I would add (I agree with most that for a non-Jedi this should be nearly impossible), but it would most likely be high.
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deflecting? Sure, but not deflecting and controlling where the shots go... that's definetly a Force endeavor. It should be Heroic with circumstantial modifiers and should only be used at dramatically appropriate moments: Jedi has fallen in the middle of a firefight and his comrade plucks up the lightsaber to fend off blaster bolts to save both of their lives, etc.

I'm running an Ex-Senate Guardsman (Blue Guard) with a double-bladed vibrosword made of cortosis weave and he can deflect blaster bolts, but it it requires a Heroic roll. However, we play with a Skill & Power Feat house rule where characters can master difficult feats through multiple successes. 10 successes at Heroic, then 10 successes at Very Difficult and then the Feat mastery is gained with a Difficult base difficulty.

This is akin to the old Marvel Superheroes RPG where you could develop your own powers and feats but they were increcibly hard to pull off at first before you mastered them. It also gives non-Jedi characters skills to work toward.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats this FEATS you speak of, reeks of D20 this does. Also, whats a Force Endeavor? As far as a non-force user deflecting blaster bolts.... I'd only it allow it once or twice, and only at a dramatic time in the story.The physics of this boggles the mind... but crazy stuff does happen. Like a policemen's badge stopping a bullet, etc. Either that or become the "ONE"... Whoa, its Neo!!!

Anyone can stop a blaster shot - once!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog

Last edited by Doomhead on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone can stop a blaster shot - once!

Unless you don't stop it the first time.... Shocked
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats this FEATS you speak of, reeks of D20 this does.

Well, sort of. I dislike the d20 rules quite a great deal. That being said, I used to play the old Marvel Superheroes RPG where you could make up new powers and feats based on your primary abilities with justification. They started off extremely difficult to pull off and then got easier as you had more successes. So I've adapted that into the d6 game I run with Force Powers and skills (for non-Jedi).

If a player comes up with their own advanced skill or power, or a stunt combined of multiple skills/powers, I assign a VD or H difficulty plus relevant modifiers. Once the player makes 10 success at the VD or H difficulty, (they keep a checklist of 10 boxes) they then complete the stunt at the next lower difficulty - a high end Difficult or low end VD, plus modifiers.

Once those 10 successes have been met and the player invests enough CPs to advance the primary Attribute/Skill/Force Power by 1D, the player gains the Feat/stunt mastery without MAP penalties for combining power/actions. They still get MAPs for multiple targets, multiple attempts or other actions.

It may seem complex, but on paper, it's very quick and easy. Justify the power. Decide on primary and secondary Att/Skill/Power. I have an extra record sheet of just Feats/Stunts. The players just tick off the boxes as they make successes and roll according to the difficulty number. It is designed very much with pick a difficulty and roll.

I find this adds a little customization for players and gives non Jedi things to work towards for their characters.

Example: a new Jedi in my campaign is combining his Dex skill specialization of Thrown Weapons: Throw Lightsaber with his Alter(telekinesis) skill of calling back the lightsaber to his hand at the end of the round. He suffers a -1D MAP and a high VD base number. Once he has completed 10 throws at VD and checked off the boxes, he moves down to a high D. Once he completed 10 throws and raises his Alter (the primary ability in the Stunt), he gains Thrown Lightsaber Mastery and no longer suffers the MAP for thrown lightsaber/telekinetic recall in the same round. It remains a low difficult base roll, but has become one fluid action in a round. If he attempts another action - dodging, keeping up lightsaber combat, multiple targets, etc, he still suffers MAPs for those, but no longer has the MAP for the combined skill.

Yikes, that was long. Does that make any sense? I want to allow for some customization and advanced skills based on player creativity without the overly complicated d20 rules.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is no...for two reasons;

1) the greatest swordsmen of Earth - the samurai would not be able to deflect bullets. I'm assuming your beginning character cannot match them. (If anyone on this list whines at me that they can, I'm going to ask him to demonstrate. I'll bring the swords and guns)

2) the rules do not permit it without the force power Lightsaber Combat.

On the other hand, if a character whips out a lightsaber and cuts down a couple of bad guys before they realize what just happened, the survivors are not going to think "I bet he can't deflect a blaster". Being good Imperials they're gonna run and call the Imperial Police...which creates a different problem.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
the greatest swordsmen of Earth - the samurai

They were not Smile But that's a different discussion Wink

As for the rules and LSC; well, there's a chance that you could manage a deflection without LSC active... it's a very slim chance, but a chance. The odds are really stacked against it, but I can't see a problem with allowing it to happen if the situation is important enough and it pushes the story in a good direction.

The Marvel style power stunt idea, I really dislike, however. The reasons are as stated above and in my prior posts. Regular people just should not be able to do these crazy feats; they are the realm of the Jedi. To cheapen that idea is to cheapen the importance of the Force in the setting.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Ankhanu

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Marvel style power stunt idea, I really dislike, however. The reasons are as stated above and in my prior posts. Regular people just should not be able to do these crazy feats; they are the realm of the Jedi. To cheapen that idea is to cheapen the importance of the Force in the setting.

You use the word Regular, but in Star Wars the characters are heroes.

While I don't like characters being over-powerful, they do need to be powerful after a while. This thing sounds like a bunch of time and CPs. So balance doesn't seem to be an issue. I have actually considered similar ideas myself- but haven't fleshed it out yet. You have some interesting ideas there, Amra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: