The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[Internet-Based Game] - Star Wars D6 - seeking 2 players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> [Internet-Based Game] - Star Wars D6 - seeking 2 players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: [Internet-Based Game] - Star Wars D6 - seeking 2 players Reply with quote

Play Location/Method:
Here's what you'll need to play:
  • Skype (for voice)
  • A headset or external mic/speakers (for voice)
  • Any web browser (for displaying the ScreenMonkey virtual gaming table).

Game/System:
Star Wars D6, West End Games - 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded

Player or GM?
We need 2 more players!

Time/Frequency:
Friday or Saturday evenings, 9:00pm - 1200:am CST; two games per month.

Genre:
Space Opera (Star Wars)

Current needs:
We already have a human 'face man' character. We're looking for any of the other archtypical Star Wars characters except Jedi.

There will be opportunities to become Jedi, but the players will not be starting out as such.

Accept Drop-In Players?
Yes, with GM approval.

Accept Spectators?
Yes, with GM approval.

Short description of the setting/campaign
The Devil's Rejects (or, Star Wars meets Firefly)

You're different. Always have been. You can do things that other folks can't. And that's why they wanted you.

The Empire, that is. You'd recognize that shiny, white armor, and those wicked black, painted helmet grins anywhere.

They ambushed you when you weren't expecting it; took you during the night. You don't even know where you are. All you know is that they've been drugging you up and pushing you through 'experiements' that make the daily routine of a laboratory rat look 'dignified'.

But, something happened yesterday. There were explosions. Troops running. Smoke. Someone (or something) grabbed you, and tossed you onto a ship. And, now that the drugs are wearing off, you're becoming increasingly aware that you might actually be a free man. Some of the other 'lab rats' are sprawled out along the deck floor with you. There's no stormtroopers in sight. No Impreial insignias on the walls. You limp to your feet, grabbing hold of a dingy bulkhead as your mind whirlwinds toward your family and friends. Are they okay? Were they captured, too?

You push the grim thoughts from your mind as the smell of breakfast wafts in from the next room over. Better go get something to eat. It could be your last meal...

Metagame Information:
The game setting takes place 5 years before Episode IV.

Each of the characters will have some form of Force power. Players can choose any non-Jedi-specific (re: Lightsaber Combat) power from any of the WEG Star Wars D6 books. It is assumed that all players are Force Sensitive.

Players can have a base knowledge of who the Jedi are/were, but no one can have any formal Jedi training, or any Jedi contacts. You can decide whether your character had any family/friends/job before their abduction, or whether they just lived alone as a hermit on some backworld. Your choice.

Otherwise, all character creation stats are as specified in the WEG Star Wars books for starting PCs.

We have need of all class types at this point.

Notes:
We'd like to have our first game at the start of September. So, c'mon! Join, already!

-theMagius
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this for real, or is this trying to sell us something?
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst Beamem wrote:
is this for real, or is this trying to sell us something?

Well, I meant for it to be a real gaming group post...

But the fact that you're questioning whether it's a valid or not makes me think that, perhaps, I've phrased something incorrectly, or that my point has been totally missed.

Can you please point out why it sounds like I'm trying to sell you something, instead of find D6 players who want to game Star Wars over the internet?

Thanks,
-theMagius
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry im a little bit paranoid and the skype program seemed like it wanted me to buy minits or something in points. And you had just signed up on the sight...i let my peranoya run rampid Smile

Any way the whole reason i asked was couse i was interested in playing your dates and time work very well for me and i have a char in mind that i would like to play.

agin sorry did not mean to offiend. Embarassed
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst Beamem wrote:
Sorry im a little bit paranoid and the skype program seemed like it wanted me to buy minits or something in points.

Oh, okay. That makes sense, now.

Skype, itself, is totally 100% free. You download it, install it, make a 'test call', and you're set to communicate with any other Skype user over the internet.

The whole 'pay' part with minutes is if you want to use Skype to communicate with people on regular phone (re: land) lines, who aren't using Skype at all. FWIW, I haven't purchased any of these minutes, either. In fact, I probably never will.

Quote:
And you had just signed up on the sight...i let my peranoya run rampid Smile

Yeah, I figured that the low post count may have had something to do with it. I've used The Rancor Pit as an invaluable SW D6 resource for the past two years, but had never signed up for the forums until now. Which is mostly because I've gamed SW D6 around a table in someone's living room up until now. This whole 'online' thing requires a bit more advertising to get players than the 'in person' method.

Quote:
Any way the whole reason i asked was couse i was interested in playing your dates and time work very well for me and i have a char in mind that i would like to play.

Sounds good. If you want, you can append '@gmail.com' to my user name, and we can communicate via eMail. Or, you can use the PM system here on the boards. Your choice.

Quote:
agin sorry did not mean to offiend. Embarassed

No worries. As long as I didn't violate some RancorPit board forum rule, everything's fine.

Regards,
-theMagius
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a solid setup you have.

I've been contemplating using Skype as a gaming tool as well.

I'd probably roll dice using Galaxy Games Online though.

If this was 6 months ago I'd jump at the chance to participate. Sadly, my weekends have been pretty busy this past couple of months.

Allst:
Skype is freeware and pretty useful. I been using it to talk to Grimace and other Holonetizens recently. You can either do a standart text chat, or VOIP with your contacts.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played online with my group via Skype and it worked very well. For dice-rolling and map sharing we used OpenRPG, and I also recommend it. We tried ScreenMonkey but we couldn't get it to work with all that IP business.
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
We tried ScreenMonkey but we couldn't get it to work with all that IP business.

It's funny you should mention that.

I had to smack my wireless router around a bit in order to get ScreenMonkey to behave. Works fine now, though!

Very Happy

Regards,
-theMagius
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow... ScreenMonkey looks awesome. I shall need guinea p- I mean, online buds to test out this software.

Giggity giggity.
theMagius
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
Oh wow... ScreenMonkey looks awesome. I shall need guinea p- I mean, online buds to test out this software.

Giggity giggity.

The best part about ScreenMonkey is that the end-users (re: PCs) only need a simple web browser to view the thing.

Now, the downside is that there are no published scripts for SW D6 dice rolling. However, though the clever use of rampant plagiarism, duct tape, paper clips, and a little luck, I was able to take some established VB scripts and tweak them so that I now have a fully-functional, SW D6 roller (with exploding wild die) for my online game.

Which means that every player can just type '/sw 3D+1' to roll an exploding wild die and two D6 dice, tally the total, and add one to the result. Furthermore, the wild die result is displayed in red, so everyone can tell if there is a success, or a complication.

If you'd like a copy of the script, just lemee know.

Regards,
-theMagius
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: