The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Constructing a lightsaber D6 Rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Constructing a lightsaber D6 Rules? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Constructing a lightsaber D6 Rules? Reply with quote

I am running a campaign in a post ROTJ setting and we are starting again after a long break. The setting is my own version of the Post ROTJ galaxy so this question is only about lightsabers.

One of my players play a Jedi and I suspect he would want to create his own lightsaber for the first time.

I have decided that if a Jedi fights with a lightsaber constructed by him or her self the Jedi gets +1D when using that particular Lightsaber to parry.

The question is how a Jedi constructs a lightsaber according to the WEG rules? Do any of you have any house rules about this?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tales of the Jedi Companion had some rules as to how to create a lightsaber, and I think there was a net guide to lightsaber construction posted on the SWRPGNetwork that expanded on those rules. I don't have them on my computer, otherwise I'd upload them. But I'll see if I can't post the rules as per the TOTJ later when I have better access to my books.
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a couple on my comp, but I am unsure at the moment of how to upload them...

There IS an area on here where someone put up SEVERAL pages on lightsaber construction... do a search for "lightsaber construction" on here and you'll find it...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a PDF I jumbled together of some of the various Lightsaber works including different styles of combat.

http://roleplayersdirect.com/downloads/Lightsabers.pdf
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a fan made lightsaber construction rules page, including multi-crystal rules. It's from one of the best starwars D6 sites, so check around there aswell for other rules on lightsabers and jedi gear...

http://www.rpggamer.org/stats.php?page=d6/lightsaber.html

Hope it helps Very Happy
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents about the above construction methods : isn't one month for the minimum construction time a bit too long ?

In many EU books ("Jedi academy", "I, Jedi", NJO...) there are examples of Jedi constructing a lightsaber in just a few days.

For construction, I like the D20 rule (core rulebook p175) : the Jedi needs to make not only a lightsaber repair roll (moderate diff) but also Control Sense and Alter rolls (Very difficult rolls). The process requires 2 days.

The difficulty of the Control, Sense and Alter rolls can be reduced by preparation : each day of meditation reduces the diff for one roll. (maximum 10 days of meditation per Force skill).

That way, a Jedi master could make a saber in 2 days, while a padawan will need a month...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember that during the Clone Wars, the Jedi refined this process down so they could make a lightsaber in a day. For this they were using mostly synthetic crystals, and there was none of the personality in these weapons; they were simply assembly line-style lightsabers created to function (most likely to be replacement weapons for individuals like young Anakin Skywalker, who couldn't ever hang on to his lightsaber...)
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings a good, quick question to mind...

whatever happened to all those lightsabers?

Take, for example, General Grevious... he had something like 6-8 lightsabers at any one time... where did they disappear to?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends upon who your GM is.

They could be used in story hooks; they could be a part of a character's backstory. They could all have been irretrievably lost during Grievous' duel with OB1.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember where I picked them up from, but there is a pdf for lightsaber construction, with time taken and costs, on my website.

Check it out at:
http://members.westnet.com.au/arosenzweig/
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
Which brings a good, quick question to mind...

whatever happened to all those lightsabers?

Take, for example, General Grevious... he had something like 6-8 lightsabers at any one time... where did they disappear to?

I was thinking about this a little more...and there are quite a few possibilities for what could have happened to these weapons.

The Emperor spent a LOT of time and energy destroying the Jedi Temple. While it's logical to assume the Jedi COULD have had stashes of them at different places in the galaxy as well as the Temple itself, it's equally reasonable to figure he could have had them all destroyed. There's enough gray area for an intrepid player to come up with a plausible reason for laying hands on one, or for a clever GM to say, "Uh, no, the Emperor found that stash too... Twisted Evil "

General Grievous' lightsabers were all, of course, taken from Jedi he'd killed. Someone who could write a decent backstory placing their character on Utaupau at any point, really, could possibly explain having found one or more of them...keeping in mind that no, they could NOT have found OB1's or Anakin's there, even though the goof-finders have shown Grievous wielding both lightsabers...hehehe

One of my Jedi characters was in hyperspace when Order 66 was given and being carried out. He emerged and narrowly escaped; he was on a mission to take armor, blasters and lightsaber repair parts to Ki Adi Mundi, as well as around 20,000 credits. He stashed all of these in various places and accounts all over the galaxy, thus providing my character with something really decent to offer the party, as well as giving my GM some WONDERFUL adventure hook possibilities...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
One of my Jedi characters was in hyperspace when Order 66 was given and being carried out. He emerged and narrowly escaped; he was on a mission to take armor, blasters and lightsaber repair parts to Ki Adi Mundi, as well as around 20,000 credits. He stashed all of these in various places and accounts all over the galaxy, thus providing my character with something really decent to offer the party, as well as giving my GM some WONDERFUL adventure hook possibilities...

Now, a lot of people will find this to be overly generous on the GM's part. However, there are a number of factors I considered when dreaming up this story line. First, we have two clone troopers in our party. One was an ARC trooper. Now, the GM and I haven't gone and hashed out exactly what is in each cache, as far as what types of armor (regular clone trooper vs. ARC or other specialized trooper), what specific weapons, etc. But that's something that can be determined later. I came up with this package in this manner because it was something that wasn't going to simply benefit ME; this is something to benefit the entire party. And partway into the campaign my character told the rest of the party about this set of hidden goodies so they'd know it was something we'd be hooking up with later on in the campaign, whether to use ourselves or convert into more credits to get some gear or something we need.

The main point here is that most GMs will allow a lot-provided the player is willing to invest the time and effort to come up with a good (let alone plausible) backstory to explain it. If the player's just going to say, "I want this" and "I want that" without giving up even a cursory reason WHY they should have it, they're not gonna get it unless the GM is simply not that into their job. So, as for what happened to 'all those lightsabers,' the correct answer is 'whatever you WANT to have happened.' Granted I've not read all the books out there, but I've never seen or heard anything specific (other than the sight of two detached robotic hands, still clutching lit lightsabers, tumbling into the deep darkness on Utaupau) that says what DID happen to them. So be creative, be 'realistic,' and you should have no problem.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my campains most of the technology (and almost all of the jedi tech) was taken by the emporer and stored in several secure spots around the galaxy. i use the x-wing series books as source material for this. in one of the books the team finds a storehouse and in it was various jedi equipment.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey; it's your campaign. For all we know, the Emperor could have made a whole Jedi mausoleum in his private chambers. You know, just like the Jedi museum he trashed over in the remains of the Jedi temple; statues defaced, cases broken into and vandalized, stuff like that. Woulda probably given him a nice private sniggering fit every time he walked through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: