The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement in the game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement in the game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Movement in the game Reply with quote

I've always struggled with movement in the game. I get confused on whether moving is coupled with an action or if its own seperate action and when it should be taken in a round. For example..
Two people. Good buy bad dude..good guy gets init.
Good guy:
PC:I wanna move(lets say cautious) and shoot at the same time!
GM: All right..you move your 5 meters for free..thats your turn..you'll have to wait till the bad dude takes his first action then u can shoot or??
ok you move your 5 meters and shoot. Now its the bad dues turn.
How is this supposed to work? Are free actions required to be seperate but you don't have to roll with the same as non-roll action (change weapon setting to stun or reload) What about when people wanna move cruseing or higher..what about space combat?? Please give me some examples of combat with your ideas..this will help me understand.
Thanks
Sam

"If you were to rescue her the reward would be..." "What?" "Well more wealth than u can imagine..." "I don't know I can imagine quite a bit!"
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he can move and take his action both during his turn... but i don't think moving half his move counts as multiple action though...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Moving cautious is considered a "free action". Shooting in the same round would not be considered a multiple action. Cruising is moving at your move speed and counts as an action. Moving at high speed is running for a character, and the move speed is doubled. All-out speed, the character is moving at four times the move speed. Characters moving all-out may not do anything else in the same round."

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: but what about/ Reply with quote

But does that mean his movement action..wheter free or not is seperate from the others? 1st action in round..move, second dodge, third return fire..is that how it works?

Sam
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the MOG.
Player one wins initiative, decides to move cautiously(5 meters) a free action and fire his blaster pistol at the same time. Think about it, you don't move then shoot, you move and shoot simultaneously! So, player one moves and rolls his blaster. The bad guy, Wolfman, dodges out of the way. On Wolfman's turn, he decides to shoot back, but suffers multiple action penalties. He rolls his blaster at minus 1D. Now, player one decides to dodge, but he suffers from multiple action penalties as well. His dodge roll is at minus 1D.

Player one and player two are walking around, when Wolfman and Wookie appear. Supprise attack! Players one and two roll perception vs. Wolfman and Wookie's sneak rolls. Harry bad guys win. Wolfman shoots his blaster rifle, beats the range difficulty, and hits player one. Wookie fires his bowcaster at player two, but misses. Now, players one, two, Wolfman and Wookie roll for initiative for round 1. Player one goes first and takes cover. Player two goes second and fires twice at Wookie. Wookie dodges. Wolfman fires on player two and beats the difficulty number. Now player two must decide if he is going to use his second action to dodge or have his second shot be his third action. He chooses the latter. Player two dodges the blast and fires on Wookie a second time, and hits. Round 2, all roll initiative...

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: But what if he wanted to move crusing? Reply with quote

Awesome battle examples. That really helps but what if the character wants to move cruisn..instead of cautios can he still move crusiin at the same time he shoots for simioultanous? Or does he have to move cruisn..then wait..for his second action to shoot.

Thanks
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he can move is complete move(cruising) and shoot, but you would have to roll your Running skill and Blaster skill at -1D for a multiple action penalty.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right.
Moving cruising on easy terran doesn't call for a running roll if I remember correctly. Again, the situation depends on the MOG. If the MOG wants the bad guy, say, Wolfman to shoot the character on his turn, it may be more cinematic for the player to move, Wolfman shoot, then the player can choose to dodge as his action, or to dodge and shoot as a third action, suffering a minus 2D from his blaster roll.

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: can a character dodge and move at the same time? Reply with quote

Could a character that has'nt taken any actions getting shot at in a round declare three? He dodges and moves )crusin at the same time and then when the bad dude is done shoot? Basically if a person has'nt moved can they couple the move action with the dodge action like other actions? Thats what you are all saying right? ON my first action of a round I could move and shoot at the same time..it's just -1D. Can I do the same with Dodge?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. Move and Shoot, I mean cinematically, Move and Shoot.
If player one hasn't taken his turn yet and Wolfman shoots at him, player one can decide if his dodge is going to be, say his first of two actions or the first of three. When a character dodges, it is assumed that he immediatly ducks, rolls, and others wise gets out of the way and behind some cover. The MOG has final say on where you dodge to, around a corner, behind a rock, etc. On player one's turn, he chooses to either move then shoot or shoot then move, either way, they are penalized 2D for each skill. Cinematically, it would be likely that he'll move a little,(say foot or two) shoot then continue his move.
If it hasn't come to your turn, then the only actions you could do are reaction skills.

Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to think of it in the most basic way possible. It's really not as complicated as you are making it or might think it is. Very Happy
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Then this is possible.. Reply with quote

Then this is possible..correct?

Good dude wins init...declares three actions
1st action: Move(Cruising) and shoot same time -1d from shoot
3rd action: Could shoot again if he did'nt get shot at or did'nt want to dodge.
Is this possible..thats all I need to know? OR
Same example..Bad dude:
React to shooting : 1st action:Dodge and move(cruising) -1D for Dodge
3rd: Whatever else the bad dude wants to do.

Is this how it works? I guess the thing I stuggle with is how do you cope for characters who want to shoot and move at the same time? They declare 3 actions and on the 1st action they move at cruising and shoot at the same time..IS THIS POSSIBLE? Is it possible the same way but with a dodge?

Thanks

Also..The shield Die code doe'snt protect against proton torpedos and other physical weapons..correct? It goes straight through to HULL where the HULL integrity and Particle sheilds are integrated to provide protection. Correct?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.
First, on player one's first action he moves, then he shoots at -1D, then, if he decides not to dodge, or if no body shoots back, can shoot again. Wolfman, dodges the first shot, the number he got on his dodge roll is the number player one and anybody else has to tie or better, in order to hit him. On Wolfman's turn he can move, shoot, jump over a cliff, whatever.
Multiple actions are not hard. On your turn, declare what and how many actions. Reaction skills, like dodge, only apply as I stated above, when they are needed. You can declare that for the round you will All action dodge, meaning that's all you do. The perk is you add the difficulty number the enemy needs to hit you, to your dodge roll. Ex. Mid-range DN=15 + what ever you roll with, say, 5D dodge. You can also declare that you will dodge incoming fire, then do other actions, too. I would wait to get shot at first, though, because your dodge will suffer multiple action penalties otherwise. Smile

Proton Torpedos.
To launch a Proton Torpedo, you must drop shields. Combat shields protect from everything, except ion weapons. Ion weapons go through shields, so the hull code is the only thing left to protect the ship. That's why most ion weapons have low damages.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would handle movement of full rate as a seperate action in the sloting... so if player 1 declared 2 actions and a move, i would ask when he wishes to move. Before, inbetween or after his two actions. If before, then his first action in order IS his move. If between, his first action is his shot (or what ever), then his second is his move. If after his 2 shots go first and second, then his move comes third...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: