The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Setting Characters against each other?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Setting Characters against each other? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like to play/ Game Master against other characters or with other characters?
Characters working against each other
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Characters working as a team
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 29

Tybalt
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, it happens all the time. two friends get mad at each other, but the next day, when they make up, they are bettter friends than they were to begin with
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be good any way so I didnt vote but I like a kinda mix between the two, Wink two teams of charectors against each other.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find that it's worth having players against each other. Especially in a violent way. Someone will win then the other player has to make a new character. Too much time wasted on PC building.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that fact that sometimes those grudges carry over.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote
[/quote]Not to mention that fact that sometimes those grudges carry over.[quote]

Word. Crell and Ragnar... but you know that story.

I think it just easier for everyone if the players just choose a side and stick with it, until it is appropriate to change of course. Leave that to the MOG to decide.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of friction between characters is all well and good; it just adds drama, which is one of the most important facets of epic adventures.

Just so long as the minor character friction does not blow up to become out-and-out hatred. Because once that happens the primary focus of the game tends to dwindle… that being everyone having a good time.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to "Outside events", one of my player started to get aggressive with almost every other players, having an : (well if it doesn't go MY way I'll just shoot up everybody else, I don't care if it ruins everyone else's game) attitude and a 6 month break from play did him good (it also did me good).

But as a general rule animosity between Characters and not player is something that can be played off of. In a D&D game I played a Drow and I was not supposed to like elves or dwarfs so when I stole something from another character I planted the stolen property on the elf. If players can play the role of characters that don't like each other and keep that to the game and not necessarily try to kill each other, it can be fun, but it takes good players for that.

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of one of the things my players said…

I asked him “what would you do if the game were not going your way”.
His response was “I attack the plot”.

It was all a goof and we all had a good chuckle, but the sad thing is seeing it actually happen. No one has the right to destroy someone else’s good time because thing are not going their way. There is no excuse for that.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my player wasn't usually aggressive but his mom had passed away the previous month and since then his demeanor had changed a little, but by the 10th game he was yelling at other players for no apparent reason, so the break has done him good, I play along side this guy at a D&D with some other people and he's gotten better.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I prefer the chars working as a team, there's nothing wrong with tension.

Ask Han and Leia, Threepio and Artoo, Laurel and Hardy!
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mature move is when things get to that point, have the main character that is becoming the problem, or if it's hard to tell which one is more of a problem choose the more mature person, and have their character become an NPC against the group, while the player creates a new character for the group. This just happened last week for me and it solved a ton of problems.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of that. Good idea!
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Ahem! Reply with quote

Well, about character conflict...

Example 1.
I once had once-shot game with a really shady feel to it. Think Reservoir Dogs in Star Wars. Anyway, inspired by the movie, I had all of the characters have their own agendas.
The point was that the characters didn't overtly start killing each others until the very end.
They were hold up inside a bank with CorSec outside, when the just went nuts and started blasting each other. Some out of greed (they wanted the money for themselves), others had scores to settle... and then there was one guy, who didn't seem to have a motive.
But lo and behold, when the smell of ozone and blaster discharge settled, when this guy started reciting their rights ("You have the right to remain silent...etc.), the rest of the bunch just started groaning with delight.
They didn't see it coming.
One of the best damn games I've ever had. Very Happy

Example 2.
I had a group with a cop-turned-bounty-hunter and a smuggler. Way back when, this cop had put this smuggler in jail.
And suddenly, the two have to face each other... and even TRUST each other! Very Happy
I really like the roleplaying which resulted; the ex-cop always making remarks on that there "is no honor amongst smugglers/thieves", and the smugglers making constant jabs at the ex-cop's "stormtrooper-mentality".
Friction like this creates surprise moments that both PC's and GM's alike just downright love.
Because, let's face it, who wants to play a game, in which you are likely to know the outcome?

P.S
I don't like domineering GM's who not-to-subtly tell characters what to do. I mean, mission orders are one thing, but "scripting" entire thing in advance takes the taste out of it.
Leave some things to chance.
Anyway, did you ever suspect that the previously mentioned female smuggler and the male ex-cop would fall in love?
Well, it didn't actually happen.
But it might.

Unpredictability. Just gotta love it.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the RESERVOIR DOGS angle, sounds gritty and nasty 8)

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd rather have cases where the players work as a team. Pitting them against each other could be intresting, but if folks were to take things personally, then it could make all future sessions really unpleasant. And possibly impossible if players decided they no longer wanted to take part in what they might see as a fight against other players game.

But then with all the fight video games today...

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: