The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On scatter direction. The same as with grenades as is in one of the 6 'hex' directions. OR if one wishes to get proper, go with a d8 to generate the NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW/N directionality.
As for distance. I would say 3 meters per 2 you miss the TN by.
So if you are off by 7, you would be out by 9 meters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On scatter direction. The same as with grenades as is in one of the 6 'hex' directions. OR if one wishes to get proper, go with a d8 to generate the NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW/N directionality.

Better to stick with what we know and are used to using: the 6-way version. Which, oddly enough, isn't a hex, according to the RAW...

Quote:
As for distance. I would say 3 meters per 2 you miss the TN by.
So if you are off by 7, you would be out by 9 meters.

Wouldn't the degree of deviation increase with range? As in, the further out you fire, the greater the distance of a potential miss?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, short range misses are the base 3 meters per 2 points you miss by.
Medium goes to 3 meters per 1 point missed
and long goes to 5 meters per 2..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or 1 for 1, 3 for 1 and 5 for 1. If in-game math must be introduced, best to keep it as minimal as possible.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of making it 1, 2 and 4?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then to codify it all.

Artillery is any sort of indirect fire. Often combined with spotters, whether live people radioing back info, or drones/sensors to tell you where to shoot and when, it can be devastating to both morale and those targeted as usually they can't tell something is incoming TILL the first explosion.

Artillery fire uses a LOWER base for range bracket target numbers, but unlike regular direct fire weaponry, does modify that for things such as windage, sight/lack of it, and even precipitation. As such most artillery can be shot further out than most common other 'ground' weaponry, even those on Walkers.

Artillery has a 3-5 base difficulty for short range shots.
artillery is between 6 and 10 for medium range shots.
Long range shot are between 10 and 15.

TO that you add in Los/Sighting considerations.
If you Have an actual LOS to the target (say you are up high on a hill), there is NO modifier for Sight.
If you lack LOS, but have a visual spotter to the target, whether via drone or live spotter radioing in details, there is a +5 modifier.
If you have neither spotter or LOS, but DID have eyes on target, feeding you direction and speed of target, and detailed maps, you get a +10 modifier.
If you lack all of that and are just guessing, its +15.

Wind speed can alter any projectile, even supersonic ones. Though Good Artillerists can compensate for it.
Headwinds (and tail winds) are the easiest to compensate for with only a +2 modifier to the TN for light, +4 for moderate, +6 for heavy and +8 for severe/gale force winds.
Cross winds, are a little harder to counter, so gain +4/+8/+12/+16 for each wind 'group'.
Precipitation is based on rate of fall.

If light, say at a drizzle, its +0.
Moderate, say up to half an inch an hour, is +5
Medium, say from half to one inch of rain an hour, is +10.
Heavy, one to two inches an hour, +15
Severe deluge of 2 or more inches an hour worth is +20

Artillery (and mortar rounds), that are subsonic CAN potentially be detected by hearing (or sensors) prior to impact on a Difficult Sensors or Perception check.
Supersonic rounds can be heard cause of the sonic boom easier, BUT cause of their speed, travel faster than the sound.

If a shell misses it's target spot, then roll 1d for scatter using the "Grenade" chart for direction.
For how far 'off' it lands, base it on whether the shot was short/medium or long range.
If short, then each point the to hit is missed by, the shell lands off target by 1 meter.
For medium range shots, its 2 meters per point it misses by
For long range shots, its 4 meters per.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Artillery fire uses a LOWER base for range bracket target numbers, but unlike regular direct fire weaponry, does modify that for things such as windage, sight/lack of it, and even precipitation. As such most artillery can be shot further out than most common other 'ground' weaponry, even those on Walkers.

Again, I'm curious why it is necessary to shift the Range Difficulties one step lower. Most of us have played the game long enough that we have that memorized; why change that up just for one house rule? If it is because the Modifiers add up too quickly, then perhaps it is the modifiers that need to be reduced.

Quote:
If light, say at a drizzle, its +0.
Moderate, say up to half an inch an hour, is +5
Medium, say from half to one inch of rain an hour, is +10.
Heavy, one to two inches an hour, +15
Severe deluge of 2 or more inches an hour worth is +20

I would drop the inches. Maybe it's a pet peeve, but English units in a Metric universe is annoying to me.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lowering the base diff, that is cause you are only targeting a spot, not a person. Also its cause of all the additions that come in, something regular weapons (even grenade launchers and such) don't have to worry about.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On the lowering the base diff, that is cause you are only targeting a spot, not a person. Also its cause of all the additions that come in, something regular weapons (even grenade launchers and such) don't have to worry about.

Perhaps instead of changing the base difficulty, it would be better to apply a different rule. In this case, I suggest using the standard range difficulties, but increasing the Scale of the target. Essentially, if a person standing in a targeted area is Character-Scale, and all you are trying to do is put a shell in that general area (i.e. close enough to do damage), just consider that particular piece of ground to be Walker or Starfighter Scale (or Capital, even).

For that matter, we've discussed using barrage patterns to create hazardous terrain; maybe the vehicle movement mishap chart could serve as a basis for the effects of an artillery strike.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g, have you considered ignoring scale modifiers to represent the damage from an artillery barrage? I mean, at least for targets of lower scale than the cannon.

My thinking is that, in an artillery barrage, characters are going to be less likely to take direct hits from artillery than speeder or walker scale targets, but will in turn be more likely to be damaged by secondary effects like shrapnel or the blast wave. I've been thinking about this for a bit, and while it doesn't solve all of the problems rules-wise, it is at least simple enough to not kludge up the flow of combat.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that, walker and speeder scale artillery ignores scale difference to HIT the target zone where enemies are for indirect fire, but if they try to direct fire AT someone, they still get scale difference.
A successful dodge, moves someone his FULL move rating away from the 'target spot', so this could shift them down 1, 2 or possibly even 3 blast zones..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see that, walker and speeder scale artillery ignores scale difference to HIT the target zone where enemies are for indirect fire, but if they try to direct fire AT someone, they still get scale difference.

My thinking was more that, once a target gets below a certain size, actually hitting it directly with ballistic artillery becomes next to impossible. So, rather than trying to target a specific person directly, the artillery gunner doesn't bother trying to actually hit a smaller scale target; he just tries to put the shot "in the ballpark". When you are firing shells packed with high explosive, and trying to hit a target the size of a human, all you need is "close enough".

So assuming that artillery is Walker-Scale, and the artillery is being used against leg infantry and light vehicles (Character and Speeder Scale), the odds of scoring a direct hit on anything in the target area decrease with the size of the object. However, the likelihood that the artillery piece doesn't need to get a direct hit to inflict damage increases as the scale decreases.

For targets Walker-Scale and above, the artillery cannon would revert to normal scale rules.

Quote:
A successful dodge, moves someone his FULL move rating away from the 'target spot', so this could shift them down 1, 2 or possibly even 3 blast zones..

Perhaps this would be a good place for a result chart of some kind, like the movement mishap rules. Did you get knocked over, stumble and fall, take some minor damage, or did you get splattered all over the landscape? Depends how well you rolled on Dodge.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This method could even be used to determine where the shell hits in relation to the group, with the lowest Dodge roll being the guy closest to ground zero...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it, here is a list of artillery shells in use in the modern world that might be useful for inclusion in an artillery rule system

High Explosive - Standard kablooey, available in contact, proximity or delayed fusing, each useful in various circumstances. For instance, a barrage of proximity detonated shells combined with a couple delayed shells is a good mix for taking out a dug-in military unit; the proximity shells will airburst, spraying the entire area with shrapnel, while the delayed shells will burrow a meter or so int the ground before detonating, propagating shock waves that will collapse trenches or underground bunkers.

Armor Piercing - Explosive inside a hardened casing that is specially formed to penetrate armor or other hardened surfaces, with delayed fusing to maximize its destructive effect inside the target.

HE Guided - Similar to a standard HE shell, but with terminal guidance capability for precision targeting. Requires some form of target designation capability, either by a forward observer or a spotter drone.

Cluster - Deploys a cluster of submunitions optimized to destroy smaller or more dispersed targets. Modern submunitions are often multi-purpose, with armor piercing, fragmentation and incendiary effects.

Minelayer - Deploys a mix of anti-personnel and anti-armor mines to deny an area to enemy forces. Commonly used in terrain choke points to force enemy units to slow or halt to clear the minefield before progressing.

Smart Cluster - Deploys a smaller number of self-guided, homing submunitions, which then identify and seek out their own targets. Shells of this type are generally reserved for use against armored vehicles.

Incendiary - Either a unitary or cluster unit that inflicts fire damage, useful for destroying soft targets or foliage, or for attacked exposed troops.

Electronic Warfare - Upon impact, this shell deploys an antenna and broadcasts broad-spectrum jamming to disrupt enemy communications.

EDIT: Spotter - Carries and deploys a repulsor-droid that serves as a spotter drone, feeding real-time targeting and damage assessment back to the artillery unit, greatly increasing their effectiveness. Spotter drones are high-priority targets for enemy defense units, and are thus heavily stealthed, with whisker-beam antenna equipped comms allowing them to avoid detection while remaining in constant communications with the artillery unit.

Chemical - Covers a wide variety of shells used to deploy gas payloads, ranging from smoke to nerve gas.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: