The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REQUEST: Youngling Character Template
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> REQUEST: Youngling Character Template
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveFlys
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: REQUEST: Youngling Character Template Reply with quote

This is my very first post on Rancor Pit. I love the site and find it a VERY handy reference tool. Thanks for keeping the D6 Star Wars RPG alive by maintaining this site.

I am beginning a new campaign, and one of the players wants to be a youngling. Does anyone have stats that I could use to create a template from? I also need to know how these young ones are selected, what sort of background do these kids come from. At what point dies a youngling become a Padawan Learner and subsequently a Jedi Knight.

In my campaign, I don't believe the Youngling will progress much past the Youngling stage, but the path of progression will certainly help.

If anyone knows where I can find reference material on this matter, that would be great also. Thanks in advance!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Younglings are chosen from all walks of life. The criteria is simply Force potential strong enough to become Jedi; the youngling is taken based on that, not racial or social criteria.

Hmm, this is something I've condidered in the past (not the Youngling specifically, but children), but I'm not certain how to handle it, mostly in terms of attribute dice. I'd cap their Strength at the species minimum (or perhaps lower) and limit exactly where skills could be allocated (representing a lack of experience)... in theory, children should have fewer Attribute and Skill dice, but there's no official ruling on building child PCs (that I know of).

I'd probably template out Dex as a strong attribute, Strength at a minimum... Mec probably would be lowish, and the others could be anywhere really.
You could maybe use more than usual Attribute Dice into Control/Sense/Alter (probably leaning towards Sense, less in Control, and few in Alter) to represent high Force potential and allow fewer Force Powers to represent less learning time (and a stronger potential), simultaneously lowering the number of Dice to allocate to the Attributes themselves to represent the lack of development that a child might have.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the Young Jedi template found in the rulebook. It has 2D straight across for attributes and and a basic knowledge of the Force skills.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
I would go with the Young Jedi template found in the rulebook. It has 2D straight across for attributes and and a basic knowledge of the Force skills.

Actually they updated it in the Revised & Expanded. They also have a 3D DEX and 4D PER. Every other attribute is 2D and they have 1D in each Force stat.

You could also modify the Kid Template. Or if this is to represent characters for future use, Take the Young Jedi and subtract 1D from each attribute. Pre-hero characters are fun as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
in theory, children should have fewer Attribute and Skill dice, but there's no official ruling on building child PCs (that I know of). .

Agreed, which is one reason i never liked the Kid template having the same 18d as everyone else.

Personally, i think kid NPCs should have7-9d of attributes, less than fully grown adult npcs which are at 12d. THEN for pc kids, they add in 4d rather than the normal PC'upping of 6d. BUT i would also make it easier to improve attributes for them, say making it attrib X 4 cp per pip, rather than X 10...until they hit a total of 18D (4d in any one attribute), but i would also tie that into their age.

As to younglings, i would say these are those just learning the basics, ie have no actual D in cont/sense/alter, upto say 2d. A padawan learner would be the 2d-6d range, a knight 6d-10d, and a master 10d+...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Personally, i think kid NPCs should have7-9d of attributes, less than fully grown adult npcs which are at 12d. THEN for pc kids, they add in 4d rather than the normal PC'upping of 6d. BUT i would also make it easier to improve attributes for them, say making it attrib X 4 cp per pip, rather than X 10...until they hit a total of 18D (4d in any one attribute), but i would also tie that into their age.

Interesting idea. It all makes logical sense, at least, I wonder how it would work in practice...

Quote:
As to younglings, i would say these are those just learning the basics, ie have no actual D in cont/sense/alter, upto say 2d. A padawan learner would be the 2d-6d range, a knight 6d-10d, and a master 10d+...

True. But with having a few D in C/S/A without access to the full range of Powers that may otherwise be available to someone could represent potential moreso than ability. I mean, sure the kid might have 2D in Control... but he only has access to one or two powers, instead of the usual 6.
But on the same token, yeah, I can easily see limiting the Force skills to simply demonstrate a lack of experience, training and such.
DaveFlys
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good ideas. I'm leaning towards using the kid or the young Jedi, minus some attribute dice. I also agree that some consideration should be given to the age of the character. An adolescent or a teenager is one thing, but a youngling child is certainly not going to be able to brawl with a full-grown bounty hunter and have any prayer of a chance.

Since it appears that there is no pre-existing character template for it, I'll probably start throwing one together using the input you've all given and post it here for your comments and review.

Thanks for all the help!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try heading over to www.dimfuture.net/d6universe/index.php and look around there for some ideas. I've posted a template that I called "Padawan in Training". It was created some years back, and deals with a kid, age 7, learning the ways of the Force. Basically, a Youngling.

If you want a direct link, it can be found at http://www.dimfuture.net/d6universe/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14, but try out the Search feature on the site as well. While you're there, take a look around and see if there's anything else you might like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: