The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New skill: Quick Draw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New skill: Quick Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: New skill: Quick Draw Reply with quote

(Note: I don't use initaitive as written on page 78. Instead, every character rolls PER each round and characters act in descending order.)

Quick Draw (PER)

1. On the first segment of combat, a character may use the Quick Draw skill instead of PER to determine initiative IF he is drawing a weapon (from a holster, sheath, over the shoulder, lying on a table, in a weapons rack, etc.)

2. On subsequent segments (and rounds) the character rolls PER only.

3. The normal -1d penalty for drawing a weapon does not apply to a character using the Quick Draw skill.

Example: Carth has PER 3d and Quick Draw 6d. If he's drawing his blaster, he rolls 6d for initiative on the first segment of combat only. After that he rolls 3d.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, it's a neat house rule, but I think it's a bit overpowered. I mean, with this quickdraw skill, not only do you get to roll a skill instead of an attribute to determine initiative (and the skill is way cheaper to improve than the attribute), but you also ditch the -1D MAP for drawing a weapon.

I mean, take a character with 3D DEX and 1D+2 PER (assume he has no skills). Normally if he wanted to draw a blaster and fire he would roll 1D+2 for initiative and then fire his blaster with 2D. Now, with this rule, if he spends a mere character point to buy Quickdraw he now gets to roll 2D for initiative and 3D for his shot. That's quite a big benefit for a mere CP...

A character with this skill would be wise to holster his weapon every chance he gets, just so he could draw it again in the next round and roll his Quickdraw skill instead of Perception to determine initiative...

I don't know, I'd rather stick to the Quickdraw rules in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook...
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar rule,

Quickdraw allows you to pull out your weapon without penalty, but you must take your first shot that round using Quickdraw .IE, Dan has 4D Quickdraw and 7D blaster, so he pulls out his blaster and fires twice. One at 3D (From Quickdraw) and 6D (From Blaster).
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
but you also ditch the -1D MAP for drawing a weapon.

I coudn't decide if I wanted to keep the penalty in effect or not. If you keep it in effect then you're making players buy 1d in a skill for nothing, which didn't seem right... ?

Quote:

That's quite a big benefit for a mere CP...

I know. Officially the book says you must allocate skills 1d or 2d, even though personally I let players buy skills in pip increments. How about you must buy at least 1d of Quick Draw for it to cancel the penalty?

Quote:

A character with this skill would be wise to holster his weapon every chance he gets, just so he could draw it again in the next round and roll his Quickdraw skill instead of Perception to determine initiative...

I thought that "on the first segment of combat" and "on subsequent segments (and rounds), the character rolls PER only" made it clear you couldn't do that.

Quote:

I don't know, I'd rather stick to the Quickdraw rules in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook...

I'll check that out.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I'd rather stick to the Quickdraw rules in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook...

Just checked them out (thanks for the reference.) I like the idea of splitting dice into "speed" dice and "accuracy" dice, but this concerns me as being too powerful:

Quote:
Any character stunned by a quickdraw shot loses -3d to all following shots in that round. Any character wounded (ot worse) by a quickdraw shot is in too much pain or too badly distracted to return fire.

Also, if I read the rule correctly, you can use this all the time (not just when drawing a weapon.)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krayt, I think I quite like your rule. Your quickdraw skill is basically a "firing blaster while drawing it" skill. It should have nothing to do with initiative, the character who rolls higher PER goes first, however if only one has the quickdraw skill and both have holstered weapons, then the guy with quickdraw gets to fire first. And if he improved his quickdraw skill enough he might roll just as much as his normal blaster skill...

Effex Seven wrote:
I know. Officially the book says you must allocate skills 1d or 2d, even though personally I let players buy skills in pip increments. How about you must buy at least 1d of Quick Draw for it to cancel the penalty?

That's a reasonable way to handle it......

Effex Seven wrote:
I thought that "on the first segment of combat" and "on subsequent segments (and rounds), the character rolls PER only" made it clear you couldn't do that.

The thing is, how do you define that a segment is over and another has begun. How soon can a character be eligible for his quickdrawing benefits? If there's a lull in combat and he holsters his weapon, but then a guy he thought was dead suddenly springs on him, shouldn't he be allowed hi quickdraw roll? Denying him this would be a very artificial retraining device.

Effex Seven wrote:

Quote:

I'll check that out.

It's quite good, though it's best suited for actual quickdrawing contests. Don't know how well it works on normal combat situation...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effex Seven wrote:
Quote:
Any character stunned by a quickdraw shot loses -3d to all following shots in that round. Any character wounded (ot worse) by a quickdraw shot is in too much pain or too badly distracted to return fire.

Also, if I read the rule correctly, you can use this all the time (not just when drawing a weapon.)

Yes, you can use it all the time, as the rule also covers simply "firing quickly" and not just "drawing quickly". However it is not as overpowered as it may sound.

Take the "Any character wounded (or worse) by a quickdraw shot is in too much pain or too badly distracted to return fire", for example. Well, that's just silly. Any character wounded by any kind of attack is unable to return fire. Being wounded means "no actions for rest of round" so you can't fire anyway...

The stun rule... well, ok, that's an extra -2D for that round than the target would normally get, but that's not too bad...

The rules also talk about defeating a person's dodge action, but there as well it's quite counter-productive. It says you can roll your "speed draw dice" (part of you blaster dice) against the target's dodge, and if you beat him then you get to roll your "accuracy dice" (the rest of your blaster dice) as if he were not dodging. That's just silly, it's much easier to simply roll your full blaster dice and try to defeat his dodge than to do it with just your "speed draw dice". Disregard this part of the rule, it was obviously not very thought of... Only when your target is "full dodging" is this part of the rule not counter-productive. But then again it's not productive either...

The rest of the basic rule, however, I like.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The thing is, how do you define that a segment is over and another has begun. How soon can a character be eligible for his quickdrawing benefits? If there's a lull in combat and he holsters his weapon, but then a guy he thought was dead suddenly springs on him, shouldn't he be allowed his quickdraw roll?

Yes, definitely.

Segments = when actions occur: in the first segment, everyone who declared one action goes (in initiative order.) On the second segment, those who declared two (or more) actions can go... and so on. Then a new round begins.

Combat = series of subsequent rounds. So in the case above, since there's a lull (or break) in combat, a new "combat" has begun (for the sake of using QD.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is "A character may roll QD for init only in the first segment when drawing or reaching for a weapon. In subsequent segments (or rounds) of that combat encounter, he rolls PER only."

And I think I might scrap the part about ignoring the drawn weapons penalty -- if I even use this mod. I appreciate your criticism becuase it provides alternate perspectives.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Take the "Any character wounded (or worse) by a quickdraw shot is in too much pain or too badly distracted to return fire", for example. Well, that's just silly. Any character wounded by any kind of attack is unable to return fire. Being wounded means "no actions for rest of round" so you can't fire anyway...

True
Quote:

The stun rule... well, ok, that's an extra -2D for that round than the target would normally get, but that's not too bad...

If I use the rule, I'd just ignore both sentences and use the normal damage rules.

Quote:
That's just silly, it's much easier to simply roll your full blaster dice and try to defeat his dodge than to do it with just your "speed draw dice". Disregard this part of the rule, it was obviously not very thought of...

True

Quote:
The rest of the basic rule, however, I like.

I like the part about splitting your dice pool to speed and accuracy. I may draft up a modified version of this instead of my QD skill.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segments... (flashes back to the glory days of 1st Edition AD&D) mmmm...
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
Segments... (flashes back to the glory days of 1st Edition AD&D) mmmm...

It's from 1st Edition Star Wars (page 46): "first action segment, second action segment, subsequent action segments..." R&E doesn't use the word "segment" but the idea's the same (page 78.)
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New skill: Quick Draw Reply with quote

Effex Seven wrote:
Quick Draw (PER)

That's almost exactly how I used to do it, except that I didn't get rid of the -1D for drawing a weapon.

Worked well in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: