The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Star Wars Miniatures and Maps with a D6 RPg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Using Star Wars Miniatures and Maps with a D6 RPg Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use minis but after a while, they just didn't keep the players attention to the game. It turned into "I'll pay attention when my turn comes up." and also broke out of role-playing and went to roll-playing. So I pulled the minis and started to run without. I still have them and I do have plans to integrate them back into gaming but for limited senarios.

BTW: All of my minis are the WEG metal minis so I haven't done minis for quite some time now.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm GMing, the minis are mostly a tool for ME to keep track of positions and which people are in and out of combat at any given time. Before I had minis, I'd draw maps on graph paper and have convoluted arrows and Xs all over the place... minis make it easier.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that miniatures help me a great deal to keep track of everything, just like Ankhanu said. In D&D we use miniatures, and sometimes the adventure makes the transition between roleplaying game and miniature game several times in an evening, but I have never had a problem with it. By the time my players are used to their characters, the characters have enough experience to make good tactical decision on the battlefield. As long as I remember that not all their enemies are master tacticians, the "miniatures game" part of the adventure is rewarding.

Although we have just restarted d6 Star Wars after 7 years and have yet to do any combat, other than a bar-room brawl where all the player characters decided to do full defensive maneuvers, I plan on using miniatures and possibly maps without a grid, keeping the distances a little less exact. Not allowing square-counting, in my experience, goes a long way to reducing the "miniatures game" aspect of miniature-based combat in a roleplaying game.
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game I'm currently in, the GM builds cardboard cutout buildings for all the various adventures. This means we see not just the 2D tactical view, but can also work with the 3D by climbing on top of structures or vehicles. Line of sight is easy. Put a laser pointer above your characters head and swing it around in a line. Most of us seem seasoned enough to not react to everything the GM puts on the board until another player says they warn the team about them.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooku wrote:
I find that miniatures help me a great deal to keep track of everything, just like Ankhanu said.

Not allowing square-counting, in my experience, goes a long way to reducing the "miniatures game" aspect of miniature-based combat in a roleplaying game.

I agree with these two: miniatures help me keeping track AND explaining the tactical situation to the players, i usually don't use squares for the above mentioned reason AND because they limit movement options: i prefer 360° freedom of action... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: