The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

X-wing torpedo capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> X-wing torpedo capacity Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: X-wing torpedo capacity Reply with quote

In the X-wing PC games they carried two launchers with three torpedoes each for a total of six. To the best of anyones knowledge did WEG ever contradict this? I've never seen any D6 stats that actually tell me how many torpedoes an X-wing can carry and I hate just taking the word of the PC game. I know they had some things definitely wrong, the A-wing carrying missiles for example.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I conducted a dig for the info you seek, and indeed in all of WEG's published X-Wing stats I looked, it's never mentioned how many torpedoes it carries. However I did find something in WEG's "Starfighter Battle Book", which although not really part of the RPG, uses the same source material:

"Proton Torpedo Launcher: The pilot can fire the X-Wing's two proton torpedo launchers together or separately. Each launcher draws from a three-torpedo magazine."

So, there you have it. WEG agrees with the X-Wing games. 6 carried torpedoes, 3 in each launcher.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I conducted a dig for the info you seek, and indeed in all of WEG's published X-Wing stats I looked, it's never mentioned how many torpedoes it carries. However I did find something in WEG's "Starfighter Battle Book", which although not really part of the RPG, uses the same source material:

"Proton Torpedo Launcher: The pilot can fire the X-Wing's two proton torpedo launchers together or separately. Each launcher draws from a three-torpedo magazine."

So, there you have it. WEG agrees with the X-Wing games. 6 carried torpedoes, 3 in each launcher.
Thanks! Is the "Starfighter Battle Book" part of Star Warriors? I assume if you fire the torpedoes together they get a damage bonus according to the combined damage rules?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Starfighter Battle Book" is an independent game, not connected to Star Warriors or the RPG. It's a very unique system, very simple and basic but quite fun. It only allows for one-on-one X-Wing vs TIE Interceptor dogfights.

Firing two torpedoes at once should add damage according to combined fire rules. However, it's strange that in some ships it's stated a 9D damage for a single proton torpedo, while other list the same damage for a pair of fire-linked torpedoes....
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reinforce the 6 capacity, pretty much every game has the X-Wing carrying 6 torpedoes. Rouge Leader, for example.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if you look real closely in the Star Wars Sourcebook, you can barely make out three torpedoes in the proton torpedo launcher for the X-Wing schematic that is shown. Granted, it could be more, but that gives a sort-of affirmation that WEG uses 6 torpedoes, 3 on each launcher.
The_Dark_Paladin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Star Warriors Rules of Play Booklet (p. 34):
Quote:
Example: The code for X-wing is "2x6PT." It has two tubes for proton torpeodes, and carries six projectiles."

Also on p. 24 from the Star Wars Sourcebook the description for the Proton Torpedo Launcher (#22) states:
Quote:
The pilot can fire the X-wing's two proton torpedo launchers together or separately. Each launcher draws from a three-torpedo magazine.

-Chris
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that's quite enough evidence, folks. Wink Alright, 6 torpedoes it is.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Firing two torpedoes at once should add damage according to combined fire rules. However, it's strange that in some ships it's stated a 9D damage for a single proton torpedo, while other list the same damage for a pair of fire-linked torpedoes....
I've noticed this too. If you compare damage codes for missiles and torpedoes they tend to vary. I've seen torpedoes that do between 8D-9D damage and concussion missiles that do between 6D-9D. I guess there are many different types of projectile weapons just as blasters and lasers vary considerably.
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, based on everything I've seen and read the A-Wing does in deed carry concussion missiles, not Proton Torpedoes. Not sure the reason behind this, but That little bit of info is correct too.

6 is right for the X-Wing and I have seen that the Y-Wing carries 8 Torps.

Not sure on how many missles the A-Wing carries or how many torps the B-Wing carries.
The_Dark_Paladin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any listings for the A Wing, but according to Star Warriors the B-Wing has two tubes with 3 Proton Torpedoes each.

-Chris
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper63 wrote:
Also, based on everything I've seen and read the A-Wing does in deed carry concussion missiles, not Proton Torpedoes. Not sure the reason behind this, but That little bit of info is correct too.

6 is right for the X-Wing and I have seen that the Y-Wing carries 8 Torps.

Not sure on how many missles the A-Wing carries or how many torps the B-Wing carries.
I've never seen anything outside of the PC games that supports the A-wing having anything other than laser cannons. I think I read a houserule someplace where a GM allowed the sensor jammer to be swapped with a missile launcher but I don't know how feasible that is. The A-wing is a really little bird.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Wing schematic, showing concussion missiles, but no proton torpedos:

http://www.blueharvest.net/images/scheme/sch-awing.jpg
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Dark_Paladin wrote:
I don't see any listings for the A Wing, but according to Star Warriors the B-Wing has two tubes with 3 Proton Torpedoes each.

-Chris

I always thought the b wings had 2 launchers each with 6 torps.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I always thought the b wings had 2 launchers each with 6 torps.

Sounds right to me, and Wookieepedia backs that up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: