The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

X-wing torpedo capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> X-wing torpedo capacity Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
A-Wing schematic, showing concussion missiles, but no proton torpedos:

http://www.blueharvest.net/images/scheme/sch-awing.jpg
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the A-wing carries torpedoes. The question was whether or not it does indeed carry missiles which your schematic shows. Did that schematic come from a WEG source?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the "Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels". I'll take a look at the "New Essential Guide..." later on to see if it also states concussion missiles. But judging by the Wookieepedia, I'd say it does. 6 of them....
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
A-Wing schematic, showing concussion missiles, but no proton torpedos:

http://www.blueharvest.net/images/scheme/sch-awing.jpg

That's a joke. Those little slits are even smaller than the laser cannon barrels. That's someone's bad attempt to throw concussion missiles on to the A-Wing because the X-Wing computer game had them (and every subsequent computer game after that).

The A-Wing is an interceptor. Designed for rapid flight to intercept enemy fighters and destroy them. It's fast and agile and lightly armed with only laser cannons and a targetting jammer. House rules have included designs to incorporate the computer game stats, but the "official", per WEG stats, shows the A-Wing only mounting the lasers for weapons.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the official A-Wings stats don't include Missiles (and that includes both WEG and Wizards).

The "New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels" agrees with that, but it points that the addition of Concussion Missiles was a common modification that became a standard in the New Republic. Here's the excerpt:

"...Its armament is relatively weak, consisting of 2 wing-mounted blaster cannons. ... Modified A-Wings occasionaly possess an additional rear-mounted blaster cannon. Concussion missile launchers are far more common and have become a standard component on New Republic A-Wings. Although they have a relatively short range, an A-Wing's concussion missiles are much more dangerous than the starfighter's blaster cannons."

Although I do agree that those frontal slits are way too narrow to launch missilesm, that's the official placement of the launchers....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC one of the books did list the A wing as having 2 models, one with the jammer and one with the paired concussion launchers instead.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of WEG's RPG books? Really? Could you indicate which? I would be very interested....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a little time to go through them..
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the concussion missiles mentioned in any WEG books myself, but my thinking is that the video games made it canonical. The starwars.com Databank certainly mentions the A-Wing having them, and that's fairly official. It's obvious to me that it's a retcon issue, however.

It's academic to me. The B-Wing's always been my starfighter of choice, personally. Twisted Evil I'm much more of a heavy firepower guy than a speed/maneuverability guy.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I'm much more of a heavy firepower guy than a speed/maneuverability guy.
Which is my problem with the A-wing having missiles...they are trying to turn an interceptor into something closer to a heavy assault starfighter. Your B-wing deserves it's place as the heavy hitter.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-wing has been designed to intercept TIE fighters or TIE interceptors. It's a light fighter class starship design for speed not for heavy fire output. Using missile versus TIE is not effective due to their speed (look at aiming malus) thus A-wing doesn't carry missile launcher.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main use for the missiles seems to be the A-Wing slash. The main purpose of the A-Wing was indeed as an interceptor, but it ended up being used as a raider quite often, as well, and in that respect, the missiles could be useful. I don't know about the missiles being too slow against TIE's. Fighters like F-16s carry missiles, and use them to great effect, particularly when they can lock on to and follow a target.

In that context, I don't have too much of a problem with the A-Wing having them, particularly since it seems to be canonical. Besides, a few measly concussion missiles aren't going to put a dent in the B-Wing's rep in the heavy firepower department.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I don't know about the missiles being too slow against TIE's. Fighters like F-16s carry missiles, and use them to great effect, particularly when they can lock on to and follow a target.
In the rulebook there is nothing saying missiles can track a target. In fact there is a difficulty chart somewhere that shows the difficulty of the shot increases with the speed of the target. Your average A-wing pilot is never going to be able to hit a fighter.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I made a full set of house rules to get missiles to work like they're supposed to, like in the X-Wing games...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
In the rulebook there is nothing saying missiles can track a target. In fact there is a difficulty chart somewhere that shows the difficulty of the shot increases with the speed of the target. Your average A-wing pilot is never going to be able to hit a fighter.

Putting aside the fact that A-Wing pilots aren't know for being average in any way...

The rulebook doesn't mention them at all, so what it says is irrelevant. It's still a missile, and I don't know of any real aircraft that fires unguided missiles. That would be pointless. An unguided missile isn't a missile, it's a bomb.
Even if they were unguided (which is stupid), look up the manuever "A-Wing Slash". It ain't hard to nail a fighter with a missile when you pop up right in his face.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I don't have a prob with Awings being able to carry 6 CMs.... Infact most of my games when i have them, they usually carry 6 LCMs (light concussion missiles)... a little further range (3/7/12 rather than 1/3/7) but 7d damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: