The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kotor equipment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Kotor equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Kotor equipment Reply with quote

Hi. I'm involved in a Kotor campaign, and the GM doesn't really know how to convert or even craft stats. She's a great story teller, but she needs help with rules sometimes. So, it's kind of fallen on me to do a lot of the stat making sort of things.

We're looking at steath field generators and double-bladed vibroswords at the moment.

It seems to me that in the game, the stealth fields don't really add to your sneak skill, but merely allow you to use it to "hide in plain sight," so to speak. I'm wondering if it would be fair to say that you could use the stealth field generating belt, to use your normal sneak skill to try to sneak past guards in an open room, however, if their perception beats your sneak roll, then they see that something is there, and know to attack. Does that sort of thing sound reasonable and balanced?

The other thing is with the doulbe-bladed items. In the game it gives bonuses to damage and for multiple attacks. I was thinking about putting a line into the stats to the effect of "If making more than one action with this item, the player receives +2 to each roll." So, you'd suffer multiple action penalties, but get some of it back due to it being a double-sided weapon. Is that fair?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are one or two double-bladed weapons in my Weapons Stats book. But anyway, I like where you're going with your rule.

As for Stealth Field Generators, I don't think they should make you invisible, that's just too powerful. They should merely enhance your stealth ability by absorbing the noise you make and blending with the colors and lights around you. The result would be a bonus to Sneak (+3D, like a Defel's natural ability, perhaps).
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, because I'm not sure that the Defel approach is balanced either. I agree that it shouldn't make you invisible, so to speak.

Giving a +3D sneak bonus seems to me that it may make people virtually invisible.

Perhaps there is a happy medium? Maybe it gives you the ability to more easily blend in with natural shadows, and provide a sythsized camoflage. It would add +1D to the sneak skill, and allowing you to hide where there is otherwise no cover?
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gry that SFG's should inhance your sneak and hide. It would seem (in the games) that you still have an "outline" that keeps you visable, but much less so. Using it in the dark would give you Sam Fisher like stealth, you'd be as invisible as a ghost.

In an article I read about stealth-field generators (real-world) it said that light wouldn't pass through it, so if you shine a flash-light at something with a SFG, the light won't get past. That's the only way anyone could see it in the dark.

But again, in the light it's not impossible to see a SFG if you'r looking (A thug might not notice it "It's just me mind playin' game wit' me, while a pro-bodyguard could probably spot it "When did I last see that? Wait! I remember, it's a stealth-field generator! Fire, fire fire!").
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krayt wrote:
I agree with Gry that SFG's should inhance your sneak and hide. It would seem (in the games) that you still have an "outline" that keeps you visable, but much less so. Using it in the dark would give you Sam Fisher like stealth, you'd be as invisible as a ghost.

In an article I read about stealth-field generators (real-world) it said that light wouldn't pass through it, so if you shine a flash-light at something with a SFG, the light won't get past. That's the only way anyone could see it in the dark.

But again, in the light it's not impossible to see a SFG if you'r looking (A thug might not notice it "It's just me mind playin' game wit' me, while a pro-bodyguard could probably spot it "When did I last see that? Wait! I remember, it's a stealth-field generator! Fire, fire fire!").

And you would also have the problem that a good sensor operator would notice a power source in his sensor range... And i never knew there was a stealth field generator back in those days..
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And i never knew there was a stealth field generator back in those days..

They probably stopped using them because they caused sterility. They should have known better than to make that sort of high-power electronic device into a BELT!
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, belts were stylish back then. In the movie ere, they would have made boots, or maybe jedi inviso-robe.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stealth Field generators of KotoR were there purely for game mechanic reasons. It was the only way to implement a stealth feature.

I'll accept they exist in several forms, but KotoR's convenient store 6 packs of stealth field generators were the only way to implement a stealth feature in the game engine.

So, just aproach them from that concept. Your characters are capable of using their stealth abilities, they can crouch, climb, crawl, roll, slide, and use cover. They can utilize poor lighting and low visibility.

And then, after all of that, OH HAPPY DAY. Predator left behind this convenient belt atachment. The holoprojector casts an image around you of what is on the opposite side. Incredible. It's like a field of stealth.
to finance my 'vette!
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go with the +3d sneak or whatever, but a limited number of charges (a charge lasts X rounds, and the belt has Y charges....)

And, of course, make X and Y very low numbers.... Laughing
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and make the belts very prone to malfunction (at the worst possible times). Twisted Evil
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or in a colour that won't match the cape.

I mean, come on, sure it gives great combat bonuses, but it clashes so BADLY with my Veldd-Silk Outfit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: