The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Printing Fan-Sourcebooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Printing Fan-Sourcebooks Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Printing Fan-Sourcebooks Reply with quote

I was wondering how many people print up the sourcebooks that Gry and other fans have made. If so, do you do the job yourself, or do you have it done professionally?

I finally went ahead and had Gry's Force Power book printed up. It wound up costing a bit more than I had expected. However, there was a mess up in the order, and they had the front and back cover printed on glossy photo-quality cardstock. However, since it looked gorgeous I went ahead and decided not to ask them to re-do it. After spiral binding it it cose me about $14.00

This thing is going to be all kinds of useful during our Kotor era campaign.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about doing it, but I never knew where to go or how much it'd cost...

$15 is something I can handle ... did you use all the internal pix as color or b/w?

I think it'd be great to do... especially with something like the templates and races and such...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I print all my books here at home. I have a decent inkjet printer so it turns out fairly nice. Then I get it spiral bound somewhere. I guess it's not really cheap at all (I avoid doing the real math to find out how much it costs in the end, no good can come from that).
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't printed any of them up in full. If I'm going to need a reference to certain stats during the game, or give my players a list of stuff they might find, I print up the relevant pages, but that's it. I find it more useful to me that way.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
I've thought about doing it, but I never knew where to go or how much it'd cost...

$15 is something I can handle ... did you use all the internal pix as color or b/w?

That included a heavy stock photo quality cover. Essentially 3 pages of photo printing, and all the rest was b&w

masque wrote:

I haven't printed any of them up in full. If I'm going to need a reference to certain stats during the game, or give my players a list of stuff they might find, I print up the relevant pages, but that's it. I find it more useful to me that way.

Usually that's what I do. But I always have had what we called "the black binder" that had all of the Force powers in it. It was the old Force Powers document. It somehow felt wrong keeping it when I knew that there was so much innacurate information in it.

As much as I would like to, I don't think I'm going to spend the money to do the Starships book or the weapons book. Heck, it would be cool to print them all, but I'm not going to start to guess what that would cost me.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed up the Force power book on a home printer. I have not gotten it bound yet. It looks really nice.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have printed Aliens Stats and Force Powers at home on my trusty 6yo hp inkjet (which I am about to retire in favour of a laser). I have then put them in display binders.

Even with an old girl (printer) like mine - they still look great!
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should post photos of our fan-made sourcebooks printed and bound right here in this here thread.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I'm a pure computer gamer so I really don't have to print it out. *shrugs*

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
We should post photos of our fan-made sourcebooks printed and bound right here in this here thread.

Hey, that would actually be cool.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...

Just went to Office Max to see about printing/binding the sourcebooks (after my local University said they wouldn't do it because of copyright) and basically, I was told it'd prolly run me about $20 or so per book...

so... I'll prolly just print them off and bind them myself... might end up being cheaper that way...
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see about printing out and binding the AOTC sourcebook and let the masses see how it looks like out in the real world instead of just a pdf on a monitor screen.

The interior will probably be black & white, but I'll get the office printer to print out the covers.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PsiberDragon"]wow...

Just went to Office Max to see about printing/binding the sourcebooks (after my local University said they wouldn't do it because of copyright) and basically, I was told it'd prolly run me about $20 or so per book...
[quote]

Yeah, I was wondering if my local printer would do it just because it looked like a book that was in print (even though it wasn't). Of course, they do have a point because Star Wars doesn't belong to you, nor do the stats contained in the book.

I've got pictures of my Force Powers book. I'll probably post them after Christmas. I'll tell you, with the glossy cover, it's gorgeous.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though Star Wars doesn't belong to us, the stats in that book I think do. Even though they are sometimes based on WOTC property, they can be considered original creations by either me, Commander Cody and a few by Gary Astleford.

But try and convince the print shop of this. For all it's worth, y'all have my official permission to print my books. Wink
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of 'em see the "Star Wars" logo and kinda freak... after all, Wizards has deep pockets and sithspawned lawyers...

Not that I mean that in any demeaning way...

some of my best friends are sithspawned.. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: