The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Large Characters or "Would you look at the SIZE of that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Large Characters or "Would you look at the SIZE of that Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Large Characters or "Would you look at the SIZE of that Reply with quote

Ok...

I've started a game, and one of the players wants to play a minotaur-esque character.

So, we've used the stats for a Mantellian Savrip, but have given up the poison bite in exchange for horns ... seems somewhat fair..

then I got to thinking... a Savrip is "Up to 4 meters"...

I'm guessing an average height of 3.5m (11.5ft).... so...

A) How tall would you say the inside of a YT 2400 cargo hold is?
B) What are the penalties for a Large creature fighting hunched over?
C) Ya think I'm crazy for allowing it?

EDIT: AND, he wants to play a jedi-wannabe... complete w/ lightsaber... but, he wants it to be a STUN saber... or rather, dual-phase saber... regular and stun... I told him regular for now... if/when he can and is able to make his own, he can do that...

Last edited by PsiberDragon on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Large Characters or "Would you look at the SIZE of Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:

I'm guessing an average height of 3.5m (11.5ft).... so...
A) How tall would you say the inside of a YT 2400 cargo hold is?

Not tall enough. He could fit in there, but not standing comfortably, I don't think. Even if the ceilings in the hold are high enough, I guarantee that the rest of the ship isn't. By all accounts, the 2400 has less room in it that a YT-1300, and there were areas Chewbacca, at only a little over 2 meters tall IIRC, had to stoop in in the Falcon.
Quote:

B) What are the penalties for a Large creature fighting hunched over?

Good question. Make something up.
Quote:

C) Ya think I'm crazy for allowing it?

It could work, but be prepared to deal with logistical problems. Seems a bit unbalanced in regards to the other players, but Star Wars isn't that balanced of a game in the first place. I definitely see him being in the front lines when trouble brews.
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably have them start looking for a new ship. He could probably get into the 2400 and stay there laying down for very short trips, but there would be major problems for long trips. There have to be some ships available for characters of this scale, but then you run into problems with your standard sized characters operating that ship.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue for Fluffy The Rancor. Well, he's a Runt for a Rancor, and in a Medium Freighter, so that helps out quite a bit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AND, he wants to play a jedi-wannabe... complete w/ lightsaber... but, he wants it to be a STUN saber... or rather, dual-phase saber... regular and stun... I told him regular for now... if/when he can and is able to make his own, he can do that.

On this part... first off i would have his character write out where he got the knowledge on dual phase LS's from, and who is teaching him about it...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that AND Jedi-wannabe? No. Just no. Munchkin, munchkin, munchkin. Or allow it, and the first time he tries to use the lightsaber, show him just exactly why Force training is usually required...
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

I did the next best thing:

I dl'ed the D6 Fantasy and D6 Creature books. (find 'em @ RPGnow.com)

and I gave him the stats according to there. The problem is in the conversions... the stats convert ok if you go by their rules. The skills, however, are in completely different places (Brawling under Agility/Reflex/Dex/etc instead of strength, for example).

His "rationale" for wanting to play a minotaur: in the whole of the expanse, there HAS to have been some kind of creature like it SOMEWHERE.

So, after using Mantellian Savrip, then Wookie, then something else, I gave him the D6 stats (total of 15D for attributes, +1D for Navigation (land) and Tracking, plus automatically have the specialization of Brawling: Horns (natural weapons) ) and basically told him that there WERE minotaur, but, because no one has heard of them, they must be technologically stunted. AND, due to that, and the fact that they are basically strength based, that he could have NO formal Force training. Suffice to say, he wasn't happy. I told him that I busted my butt to work with him, to keep him in the game, but I wasn't going to beg him to, and, if he felt he could not play according to the rules I set down after I HAD done so much legwork, then he was free not to play.

His response was that he didn't understand why they had so few dice in attributes, and why couldn't he have Lightsaber Combat (I let him be force sensitive and keep concentration). I pointed out the advantages above (again) and also added that since his character was "Large" that he could do more damage than a human-sized character (of course, he is easier to hit, as well, but ... )

So what do you think? Am I right or crazy or what for working with him and giving him the option not to play...?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by his reaction to what you did, it looks like he was interested in it only FOR the crunchies it gave...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did more than I would have. I might have given him the stuff you did, minus the Force sensitivity. You were more than fair, if he's not happy, he's just being a munchkin. Good riddance.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must concur. The fellow sounds like he just wanted a combat monster who could run amuck through adventures.

Don't cave on your position...what you did was right and justified. Just because he wanted a munchkin character doesn't mean you have to provide it.
Rolling Eyes
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think brawling got moved since you have to make contact to do damage. If you have a weak Agi/Dex, but a high Str/Physique, then you won't land blows as often, but when you do...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My character is an Esoomian and he is 3.5 meters tall.

Fortunately he has no problem assuming a quadrupedal stance because otherwise he'd not fit anywhere in a spaceship... As it stands he has difficulty using the refresher, blasters, computers, comlinks, and utensils.

I knew these things were going to be issues from the moment I created the character and the GM works hard thinking about all the difficulties I encounter. It makes for a great game and always poses makes me think.

I eventually managed to get a ship customized for his stance... at great expense I might add.

Rambling aside here is my two cents
a)It's taller than 3.5 meters
b)Depends on the creature, something that is quadrupedal would have little difficulty but something normally bipedal would probably get at least 1d penalty
c)Not at all, it adds to the rich gaming experience.

[Edit] If he wants something as awesome as what he describes then he needs to put in the legwork and work with the GM to create the backstory that allows such things. I can't see why he'd want a lightsaber though, surely he'd be far better off just learning how to brawl.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the lightsaber, he's in it for the "show" effect - that "I'm cool 'cuz I have a lightsaber" bit... even if it is just a stun saber.

Basically, from what I've gathered from others who have gamed with him, if he can't play a minotaur, he doesn't want to play at all.

if you want to see how it worked out, look for my "Introduction..." post ...

after that, I might just let him get the knowledge to build his own lightsaber... Twisted Evil

just to keep his character on the path he's chosen.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds almost like a spoilt brat... where he has always gotten his way...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about this a bit I'd probably create the race but also add in that they are cannot digest meat (being as cows tend to graze on grass) and that they lack binocular vision so they are harder to surprise but can't use ranged weapons well at all.

I still wouldn't have done any more than allow him to be force sensitve though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: