The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help with advancing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Help with advancing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Help with advancing Reply with quote

I need help with advancing, we only play once every two weeks, and for about two hours. He only rewards CP about every 3-4 sessions, and is shocked when I don't use CP to help me dodge or resist stun.

How can I advance/live under these conditions? The other players are down to 3 and 2 CP and they have not advanced one stat since character creation.

I have saved my three CP I was awarded, am unconscious, and am going to be rewarded next session.

Please help,

Darkclown

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules for advancement are broken down in the main book.
A quick run down:
Skills: cost is the number in front of the skill's D level for +1 pip: Blaster 4D, cost to increase to 4D+1 is 4CP
Attributes: number in front of the Attribute's D multiplied by 10 for +1 pip: Dexterity 3D, cost to increase to 3D+1 is 30CP.

The rules for training times are also outlined, as well as the costs for specializations and Advanced skills.
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no no no. Thanks for the help, but I know EXCACTLY how to advance, I just lack the character points to do so, if you read my post above.

Darkclown

Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you need to play more or convince the ST to hand out CP more. Because CP are used in multiple ways, they shouldn't be that hard to get. Have a read of the rule book and there is a section there on rewarding CPs. If he's reasonable then you might get them for every session you play.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
Well you need to play more or convince the ST to hand out CP more. Because CP are used in multiple ways, they shouldn't be that hard to get. Have a read of the rule book and there is a section there on rewarding CPs. If he's reasonable then you might get them for every session you play.

Play more: That is not an option, the GM is my father and he likes to make it a "surprise." However, it has been pretty regular with our scheduling, every two weeks.

He is an experienced GM but only knows a moderate amount of the rules. He interprets from the rules "3-5 CP after every adventure" or whatever it says, is every adventure not session, sadly. Thanks for the help I just don't know what to do..... I either die advanced or live weak. Sucky options, IMO.

Darkclown

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what, people give out 3-5 cp every session. i guess im curel. i do it per adventure. but i give out around 10

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think you should have at least enough CPs to spend one almost every session and still have enough to raise one low skill per session. So, yes, about 3-5 cps per session (not adventure) seems fair.
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice, except we get 3 per Adventure, sadly. Ugh... guess I'll have to wait it out and save my CP's... if I die, I die.

Darkclown

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should discuss this problem with your GM. Tell him the guys here at the Pit agree that you should earn a little more CPs in order to advance you character.

Character advancement is not about "beating the game", it's about evolving you character concept. So, you created a noble, but then he's fallen into some bad times and is now living a scum's life. It's necessary to properly build this character arc that you have some CPs to advance his previosuly unused skills like Con, Survival etc.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also game about every two weeks, and 3-5 CPs per session is the baseline. That's the minimum that I gave out when I was running it, and the current GM has a similar policy. This is how we break it down:

Showing up: 1-2 CP, depending on GM mood.
Staying in character (i.e., not going off on OOC tangents, etc): 1-2 CP.
Exceptional actions (I took out an assassin droid with my new demolitions expert character, saving one of the the other PCs) 2-3 CP.
Accomplishing party goals: 2-3 CP.

You have to be really screwing around to not get at least 3 or 4 CP per session in our game.
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... but he's not just my GM... he's my dad... and, he's told me to drop it. He says, "It'll all be taken care of."

Darkclown
p.s. It'll probably turn out okay, just wondering what you guys thought, if you had any tricks, etc.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition there are other 'non' cp ways to inc some skills. Take a look in galadiniums fantastic tech at an item, called the Snaptic teacher... you could use that to bump your knowledge skills, poss even some mech and tech skills...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkclown789 wrote:
Oh, no no no. Thanks for the help, but I know EXCACTLY how to advance, I just lack the character points to do so, if you read my post above.

Darkclown

Sorry, I misinterpreted.

But, yeah, there's not a lot you can do about the situation that hasn't been mentioned already. Either your Dad/GM will allow a couple more CP per session, or he won't... and often a GM will have reason for doing things the way they are, even if it's only that the GM sees CP as being extremely valuable.

If he has read the rules and that's the way he's using them, well, he is running the game, it's largely his prerogative how he rewards his players, for better or for worse.

In my own situation, it's generally CP per session, though sometimes a particular story element takes more than one session, or a session ends in a strange place; in that case, CP rewards may be delayed a session or two.

Basically you have two choices, since you've already tried to appeal his choice: ride it out or not play his game.
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
darkclown789 wrote:

Darkclown

Sorry, I misinterpreted.

But, yeah, there's not a lot you can do about the situation that hasn't been mentioned already. Either your Dad/GM will allow a couple more CP per session, or he won't... and often a GM will have reason for doing things the way they are, even if it's only that the GM sees CP as being extremely valuable.

If he has read the rules and that's the way he's using them, well, he is running the game, it's largely his prerogative how he rewards his players, for better or for worse.

In my own situation, it's generally CP per session, though sometimes a particular story element takes more than one session, or a session ends in a strange place; in that case, CP rewards may be delayed a session or two.

Basically you have two choices, since you've already tried to appeal his choice: ride it out or not play his game.

He is also running the adventure Starfall, (don't spoil please), which might have something to do with it.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Darkclown

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since starfall is a module, and modules usuall have a set CP for the entireity of them, perhaps he is splitting that cp up into the number of sessions it takes to get it done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: