The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Common stats?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Common stats? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just using the published NPCs as they are would be the way to go. If you want to tweak them up or down, you can use the collected ones as a base standard.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think we should only add some fan-made stuff where there's clearly something missing from the official stats.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this beggs the question as to what is listed in official stats.

Quite frankly, I use the Pirates of Praxiar pirates quite a lot. They make decent minions and thugs. How far do we go to make sure our stats are official?

What I mean is that often I have special bodyguards for a crime lord. Should we go through and search to find a bodyguard stat, or just craft a bodyguard that makes sense?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...which is why I never got around to making this book. Too complicated. Couldn't find a satisfactory model.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose an NPC that closely resembles what we want our thug or guard to be and tweak it enough to meet our own requirements.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
That's all nice and good, but those elite Stormtroopers are WAY overpowered. Sure, Vader's Fist had the best troopers, but they are STILL just stormtroopers. Blaster 10D+2 is ludicrous. That's higher than Gallandro, supposedly the single best shot in the whole galaxy. You can't have a whole legion of troopers that good. And that's also true for your other experienced troopers, and other skills besided Blaster.

Well i did it like this. A base trooper is 4d, 5d for reg, 6d for experienced and so on up the chain. It also keeps them in line with Pcs... where a 1 yr old pc (1 yr of game time) would have 6-7d in his combat stats if well rounded. While a 5 yr veteran would have 12d or so..

Quote:
Of course, this beggs the question as to what is listed in official stats.

Quite frankly, I use the Pirates of Praxiar pirates quite a lot. They make decent minions and thugs. How far do we go to make sure our stats are official?

What I mean is that often I have special bodyguards for a crime lord. Should we go through and search to find a bodyguard stat, or just craft a bodyguard that makes sense?

Which is where i got the above from. Base ST's are by the book. The rest were added to..
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well i did it like this. A base trooper is 4d, 5d for reg, 6d for experienced and so on up the chain. It also keeps them in line with Pcs... where a 1 yr old pc (1 yr of game time) would have 6-7d in his combat stats if well rounded. While a 5 yr veteran would have 12d or so..

I see your logic, but I just don't think a 12D 5yrs veteran has any balance at all with the rest of WEG's official stats. Just because a soldier has been fighting his entire life, it doesn't mean his Blaster skill will increase 1D per year. You will usually reach a maximum and level there (for a stormtrooper, I'd put that maximum at about 7D at most). The advantage a veteran trooper should have is greater skill diversification. He's been on the line long enough to learn that blaster skill alone doesn't solve everything. He'll have a number of Knowledge skills, some varied Perception skills. Will be able to handle a multitude of different weapons, operate in different environments, etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I see your logic, but I just don't think a 12D 5yrs veteran has any balance at all with the rest of WEG's official stats. Just because a soldier has been fighting his entire life, it doesn't mean his Blaster skill will increase 1D per year. You will usually reach a maximum and level there (for a stormtrooper, I'd put that maximum at about 7D at most). The advantage a veteran trooper should have is greater skill diversification. He's been on the line long enough to learn that blaster skill alone doesn't solve everything. He'll have a number of Knowledge skills, some varied Perception skills. Will be able to handle a multitude of different weapons, operate in different environments, etc.
\

Since the 501;st is vaders fist, who is to say their high stats is not some byproduct of sith alchemy, or something else...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all the official sources we have on Vader's Fist state that they are simply the cream of the crop assigned to Vader's personal legion. Nowhere does it imply that they are Force-enhanced in any way, so why would we assume that? Sure, in action, Vader might use the Force to help his troops (something like Battle Meditation perhaps) but that shouldn't figure in the troops' base stats.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Since the 501;st is vaders fist, who is to say their high stats is not some byproduct of sith alchemy, or something else...

That's a really interesting idea for an adventure or two. Especially if you're going off of the idea that many of the troopers are still clones. Cloning tanks and Sith alchemy would make a weird but interesting story idea. However, I'm not sure that the assumption would make a solid ground for a high-distribution set of stats among common NPCs.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing. To me vader's fist are not that common of an npc group.. At most i have 120 of them in existance.. 6 20 man squads. That's it... That does not make them common.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 501st is a Legion. You can't have a legion with only 120 troops...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... SO how many troops are in a legion?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a roman legion usually had about 5,000 - 6,000 troops. At its lowest it would have a thousand troops. The size of a legion can vary quite a bit depending on the nation's size and power. But since we're talking about the cream of the crop of a galaxy-spanning tyranical empire assigned to the Chosen One, I would expect nothing short of a few thousands.
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Derail slightly.....

After thinking a good deal about this thread I started searching for NPCs. There seems to be some disparity. Most Rebels adhere to the 12d startind dice- even though some have attributes as high as 3d (and other attributes are as low as 1d). The Empire, however, has NPCs with more than 12d starting dice.

What do we do?

As far as I'm concerned- I don't want any NPCs with 1d in any attribute. Doesn't that make that person absolutely worthless in that range of skills? Take Knowledge, for instance, at 1d. He can't even make a Very Easy Knowledge roll 4 out of 6 times! Some have 1d Mechanical. This person can't even drive his landspeeder down the street. Besides, isn't the Human minimum 2d in an attribute?

Being a rule breaker- I am rounding all sub-2d attributes up to 2d.

This is mostly because we run a military campaign, and we run with special forces occassionally. But Rebel Specforce are pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: