The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scott's home-brew starship damage tables!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scott's home-brew starship damage tables!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Scott's home-brew starship damage tables! Reply with quote

I posted this over on the Gamemaster forum but thought it belonged here as well.

Note that there is no link between how high you roll and how bad the result is. Also, part of the severity of the damage is the cost to fix it. A result of "X needs to be fixed" is not as bad as "X needs to be replaced". Finally, many of the results require the GM to work out the exact effect on the situation. You can also use the tables to give ships more character in non-combat damage situations like buying a used ship that may need some work. Keep in mind that the tables need 2 6 sided dice to be rolled, the first representing the first number and the second reppresenting the second number, with no wild die. I pains-takingly researched each ship component to ensure continuity with published books and games, but there is a tiny bit of artistic license in them as well. These tables were written with a YT-1300 in mind but should work for any ship.

Starship Damage Tables

If you roll a result that does not apply, re-roll. The GM chooses the exact effect of all results based on what the table recommends and the situation at hand. Repair and replacement costs are calculated by the GM as usual. Note that some effects are -1 or -2, not -1D or -2D. A result including “…causes crew 1 Stun/rd” means everyone on board is stunned once per round. Finally, keep in mind that the crew may not notice all damage…

Light damage Roll 2 dice:
(When the ship has sustained as many Light Damage results as it has Hull dice, it also sustains a Moderate Damage result.)
11 Escape pod ejector damaged. A random pod must be launched manually from inside the ship.
12 Cargo Elevator Lift Actuator hit, elevator inoperative. If hit again, causes a seal microfracture.
13 Landing Struts hit, may buckle on landing causing structural damage (ie: -1D hull).
14 Ion Thruster Coolant Valve jammed, mild overheating increases maintenance costs by 25%
15 Auto Chef damaged. Can you fix it? If not, can you cook?
16 Carbonite Inserts cracked. You don’t know what these do, but you better replace them soon.
21 Deceleration Equalizer burned out. Moving faster than cruising speed causes crew 1 Stun/rd.
22 Doppler Compensator fried. Better switch to manual for your next landing. -2 Maneuverability
23 Electrophoto Receptors (EPRs) hit, -2 to all gunnery rolls until fixed.
24 Repulsorlift Pressors (one of 4 axes) damaged. Ship flies at an awkward angle in atmo.
25 Freeze-floating Control out of alignment. Ship experiences rough turbulence in atmo flight.
26 Flow Coupler (negative or positive) fused causing minor power fluctuations. Better replace it.
31 Gyro Stabilizers knocked out of alignment, causing random artificial gravity fluctuations. Whoa!
32 Hydrobooster Automation Circuit housing cracked. Intermittent failures add +3 to piloting difficulty.
33 Refresher unit damaged, sewage flows into bilge upon every flush.
34 Irradiator blown. You never miss it until it’s gone. Unless you like getting sick.
35 Intergyron explodes. Everyone in cockpit sprayed with inky, gritty, black fluid.
36 Quarkmeter sheared off. It’s a bit harder (ie: impossible) to detect energy signatures now.
41 Reactant Agitator Injector dies. Now your ship uses more fuel. +25% consumables cost.
42 Sandskid detached. Landing on anything soft may cause the ship to sink, blocking the entry ramp.
43 Log-recorder obliterated. Now who knows what’s wrong? Not you!
44 Climate controls gone haywire, ship gets randomly very hot or very cold until fixed.
45 Full Spectrum Transceivers (FSTs) burned out. Now you have to determine what it all means.
46 Life Form Indicators (LFIs) blown. Is that a Bomorian fire beetle or a Trandoshan over there?
51 Subspace Transceiver damaged. Ship-to-ship calls sometimes dropped and have lots of static.
52 Intercom unit damaged, causing intermittent operation and loud static.
53 Halpiton Circuit singed. Ship’s computer starts randomly rebooting.
54 Sublight Transponder damage causes garbled signal. Expect more attention from the authorities.
55 Exhaust Nacelle damaged, maximum speed reduced by 1.
56 Water Reclamation system ruptured. Water, water everywhere.
61 Power circuit blowout, nearby Vac suit locker catches fire briefly. Will they still work?
62 Entry Ramp actuator catches fire. Heat-warped bulkhead jams ramp. Find another way out.
63 Oxyscrubbers fried, consumables need replacement sooner.
64 Shipboard fire suppression system malfunctions, spraying safety foam everywhere.
65 Rectenna damaged, making sensors harder to read. +3 to all Sensors difficulties until repaired.
66 Internal hatch combing warped, one random internal hatch will not close all the way.

Seal microfracture – This hatch may suddenly blast open when the seal finally gives out. A microfracture is extremely small and detectable only by a Difficult Sensors roll. Have a random crewmember roll 1D at random intervals:
1-2 Nothing happens, seal still microfractured.
3-4 Microfracture grows larger, add +1 to next roll. Sensors difficulty reduced to Moderate.
5-6 Seal fracture begins to give, groaning and creaking. If not replaced at next landing, it may blow, exposing the cabin to space. If this happens, use GM discretion as to the effects.

Moderate damage Roll 2 dice:
(When the ship has sustained as many Moderate Damage results as it has Hull dice, it also sustains a Heavy Damage result.)
11 Escape Pod bulkhead combing warped. One pod is stuck in its berth until repaired.
12 Mass Shadow Sensors damaged, ship randomly drops out of hyperspace until fixed.
13 Particle Shield Matrix Board fried, even small impacts may cause hull microfracture.
14 Landing Claw shot away. –1 to hull strength rolls until mount is repaired or claw is replaced.
15 Acceleration Compensator hit, moving faster than cautious speed causes crew 1 Stun/rd.
16 Alluvial Dampers damaged, hyperspace travel times fluctuate greatly.
21 Repulsorlift Graviton Gauge blown, atmo flight difficulty +1 level as ship bucks and heaves.
22 Refresher unit explodes, sewage flies everywhere. Beware at your next planetfall.
23 Flux Inhibitor hit, -2 base speed until repaired.
24 Surge Arrestor electrical fire, power fluctuations effect multiple systems. Re-roll twice.
25 Gyro Stabilizers damaged, artificial gravity changes 90 degrees.
26 Accu-Accelerator blasted, Ion engines will no longer start once they are shut down.
31 Realspace Compensator breaks, after next reversion, sublight engines/repulsorlifts fail.
32 Avionics Control smashed, flying in atmo is increased 2 difficulty levels until fixed.
33 Burn-out Creepage, roll once on Light Damage table every week until full overhaul.
34 Speed Limiter burned up, shipboard energy weapons damage reduced by 1D.
35 Centrifugal Debris Extractor shattered, ships engines require overhaul sooner.
36 DDX Pulse Modulator damaged, random ship’s systems lose power intermittently.
41 Energy Array smashed, you have to operate it manually until fixed. (+1 action for pilot)
42 Etheric Rudder jammed, ship pulls hard to one side, increases piloting difficulty by 2 levels.
43 One random cockpit seat is hit, saving the occupant, but the G-Locks on that seat are gone.
44 Gyro Control Module knocked out of alignment, maintaining level flight is Difficult.
45 Artificial Gravity generator cuts out. Now I’m free, I’m free-falling…
46 Inertial Compensator damaged, maneuvering faster than cruising causes crew 1 Wound/rd.
51 Ion-flux stabilizer blown, power circuits randomly overload doing 3D damage to those nearby.
52 Ionization Reactor destroyed, consumables replacement cost doubled.
53 Navigation Computer fried, nav buffer data lost and all plotting times doubled until fixed.
54 Entry Ramp Reservoir-locking Valve cracked and leaking, better get on that hand pump quick!
55 Power Coupling (negative or positive) damaged, Hyperdrive Motivator inoperative until fixed.
56 Sensor Pallet holed, sensors work intermittently until repaired.
61 Magnetic Bottle breached, Hyperdrive Motivator fails, offline until bottle is replaced.
62 Thrust Intermix Cowling blown away, ship begins to get hot – very hot.
63 Field Limiters blown out, shields flicker randomly until fixed. 50% chance of working each hit.
64 Subspace Transceiver destroyed, no communications beyond televisual range.
65 Navigation Computer core meltdown, time to dust off the astrogation plotter.
66 Quad-Ax Stabilizer fails, Hyperdrive rattles in its mounting, causing intermittent drive failure.

Hull microfracture – The hull may suddenly blast apart when the fracture finally cracks open. A microfracture is extremely small and detectable only by a Difficult Sensors roll. Have a random crewmember roll 1D at random intervals:
1-2 Nothing happens, Hulll still microfractured.
3-4 Microfracture grows larger, add +1 to next roll. Sensors difficulty reduced to Moderate.
5-6 Hull fracture begins to crack, groaning and creaking. If not replaced at next landing, it may blow, exposing the cabin to space. If this happens, use GM discretion as to the effects.

Heavy damage Roll 2 dice:
(When the ship has sustained as many Heavy Damage results as it has Hull dice, it also sustains a Severe Damage result.)
11 Escape Pod ruptured, pod cabin is open to space. Don’t touch that hatch!
12 Mass Shadow Sensors destroyed, greatly increasing the difficulty of navigation until replaced.
13 Particle Shields down, every impact causes a hull microfracture.
14 Hull breach, random junk or passenger plugs the gap – temporarily.
15 Acceleration Compensator demolished, hyperspace travel causes crew 1 wound/rd.
16 Alluvial Dampers gone, Hyperdrive will not engage until replaced.
21 Weapon mount takes a direct hit, roll damage vs 2D starship scale strength.
22 Sublight drive Inverse Coupling severed. Speed can only be changed by 1 until replaced.
23 Interrupter Template gone, any shooting could remove valuable external components.
24 Crystal Oscillator explodes, ship’s main power goes offline. Emergency power lasts 1D hours.
25 Plasma Phase Coil damaged, white-hot plasma floods the cargo bay, incinerating everything.
26 Shield Projector crushed by collapsing bulkhead, one shield arc is down, permanently.
31 Influx Capacitor blown out, a very big bang is about to happen... Better fix it fast!
32 Neutrino Hybridizer shattered. Sublight base speed reduced to 1.
33 Burn-out Creepage, roll on Moderate Damage table every week until full overhaul.
34 Weapons Capacitor drilled. All power to weapons is lost until replaced.
35 Centrifugal Debris Extractor quits, ships engines ingest space debris and go offline. Forever.
36 DDX Pulse Modulator overloads, random ship’s system is totally vaporized.
41 Energy Array detonates, power allocation cannot be changed until replaced.
42 Cryogenic Power Cells holed, deadly cryo-gas leakage and backup power fails.
43 Droid Interface Unit overloads, exploding. Attached droids suffer 6D damage.
44 Gyro Control Module explodes, ship flies into a tight spin. Tricky piloting can regain control…
45 Weapon hit, Light Mass Core meltdown melts the weapon to the hull. Lots of work to fix.
46 Inertial Compensator totally smashed, faster than cautions movement causes crew 1 wound/rd.
51 Power Converter pierced, jets of hot plasma burn into the ship’s sublight engines…
52 Hypercoil catches fire. Before it’s out, there’s a hole the size of your fist in the Hyperdrive…
53 Halpiton Circuit Destroyed. Ship’s computer needs to be replaced.
54 Heavy structural damage, no systems hit, but ship’s Hull is at -1D until full overhaul.
55 Power Coupling (negative or positive) ignites, starting large plasma fire. Hull -1/rd until out.
56 Sensor Pallet explodes, all sensors down... very, very down.
61 Hyperdrive Shunt damaged, extreme heat melts nearby power linkages, controls going dead…
62 Terdon Repulsorlift Power Cell vaporized, deadly Terdon gas leaks into crew compartment.
63 Shield Capacitor power linkages snapped, all shields down until replaced.
64 Bulkhead collapse, (roll twice on Moderate Damage table)
65 Serious hull breach, ship leaking atmosphere. All air is gone in 1D minutes.
66 Secondary explosions, reroll twice on this table.

Severe damage
Roll once on each previous damage table. (When the ship has sustained as many Severe Damage results as it has Hull dice, it is destroyed.)

Ship destroyed Roll 1 die:

1 Ship begins to disintegrate, in 1D rounds it will simply fall apart. Luckily you have time to bail.
2 All ship’s systems go completely and permanently dead. You’re floating junk, dead in space.
3 Massive damage and multiple explosions. Passengers each take 4D damage. Roll again…
4 A large portion of the hull rips off, exposing passengers to open space. Ship dies.
5 An explosion inside the Hyperdrive causes the motivator to actuate. The ship, and you, vanish.
6 You witness the biggest, brightest explosion you’ve ever seen, right up close. Good Night.

Last edited by scott2978 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! That's a pretty impressive listing you've got.

Would you mind if I copied it and posted it over on www.dimfuture.net/d6universe/index.php? I'll list you as the original creator of it. I think something like this is really helpful for people.

Thanks again for sharing that!
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it ! Very Happy Especially because every damage is linked specifically to one equiment and so it's really easier to describe the effects of the hit to the players 8)

Plus it's fun : results 15 or 16 for example Laughing
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use these tables wherever you think they will do people good. And thanks for the kudos!
krysallokard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

These charts are awesome. They will make the damage in my space battles far more interesting and I won't have to rack my brain coming up with SW sounding tech that broke.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"6 You witness the biggest, brightest explosion you’ve ever seen, right up close. Good Night."

HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this one..

14 Hull breach, random junk or passenger plugs the gap – temporarily.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad this was bumped up, cause I might never have seen it otherwise.

Lots of great info and be sure it will be implemented. With Hilarious results. Well, hilarious to me anyway, not so much the PC's.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone care to make a PDF outa this one?

Well Instead of asking others to do my work, I figured I'd due it myself...

so here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/uzfuktg68g

Star Ship Damage Table in PDF format!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog

Last edited by Doomhead on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
Anyone care to make a PDF outa this one?

Sure, ill throw it together later today Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys like this so much! I made it using as much actual Star Wars tech as I could find from across all the game books, sourcebooks and novels. I researched what each thing does and came up with a plausible function for those that I couldn't.

I'm now coming up with a new table for repulsorlift vehicles like landspeeders and speeder bikes, including seperate "combat damage" and "crash damage" tables. I'll post them here when they're finished.
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I'm glad you guys like this so much! I made it using as much actual Star Wars tech as I could find from across all the game books, sourcebooks and novels. I researched what each thing does and came up with a plausible function for those that I couldn't.

We seriously have to get you laid... Razz

On a more serious note, excellent work, all your research is appreciated on my end. These tables are wonderful.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
scott2978 wrote:

We seriously have to get you laid... :P

On a more serious note, excellent work, all your research is appreciated on my end. These tables are wonderful.

Well actually I'm a 39 year old husband and father... so I'm on the other end of the "too much time on his hands" spectrum.

My deal isn't that I'm a hermit without a life, it's that I tend to get obsessive about certain things... thus an obsessively detailed ship damage chart :P

I really dig how people have given me props for it, it gives me a good feeling to contribute something to this great little community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: