The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updating the Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Updating the Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble downloading the "Combat Techniques" file. It only DL's a portion of it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When finished, do you have intentions of releasing a single pdf for easy download?
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished is such a difficult state to pin down... not sure I'll ever run out of things to add. that said, I can always put a single pdf download on the site but it probably won't be updated as quickly or as often as the others. I'll look into it.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm having trouble downloading the "Combat Techniques" file. It only DL's a portion of it.

Sorry about that. Missed your message on first reading of the thread. I checked out the site and there was indeed some kind of corruption in the file. Must have messed up with the new upload. Have deleted and re-uploaded it and it all looks fine from my end now.

If you have any more problems downloading any of the files just let me know?
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When finished, do you have intentions of releasing a single pdf for easy download?

OK. This really should have been a simple request but it really wasn't but I think I've come up with a compromise that you should find helpful and I've modified the site accordingly.

Firstly I can't meld the files together quickly or easily in a manner where I can create a new .pdf every time I update everything (and knowing me I'll be updating the site often and for the most trivial reasons Very Happy ). Instead, I've decided to put a single zip file on the site in addition to the separate pdf that could be downloaded witha single click. That was the plan anyway.

Problem is, my service provider won't let me upload a single file of that size so instead you will find six separate .zip files that contain all the pdf files in each chapter. Not sure what I'll do when any one of the chapters is too big but that's a problem I'll deal with when I get to it.

Hope that's useful and if you have any other suggestions for the site please let me know.

BTW, anyone want to voice an opinion on the Force system I've outlined. I would love to know what other d6 roleplayers think Wink
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for keeping up with how many visitors you have, you can always tag a little counter on the index page. It's not extremely accurate, but it will give you an idea of how busy the site is.

As for the single PDF, how large is your overall file? I'd be glad to host it on my site and make the link available to everyone.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
Quote:

OK. This really should have been a simple request but it really wasn't but I think I've come up with a compromise that you should find helpful and I've modified the site accordingly.

Firstly I can't meld the files together quickly or easily in a manner where I can create a new .pdf every time I update everything (and knowing me I'll be updating the site often and for the most trivial reasons Very Happy ). Instead, I've decided to put a single zip file on the site in addition to the separate pdf that could be downloaded witha single click. That was the plan anyway.

Problem is, my service provider won't let me upload a single file of that size so instead you will find six separate .zip files that contain all the pdf files in each chapter. Not sure what I'll do when any one of the chapters is too big but that's a problem I'll deal with when I get to it.

Hope that's useful and if you have any other suggestions for the site please let me know.

BTW, anyone want to voice an opinion on the Force system I've outlined. I would love to know what other d6 roleplayers think Wink

Thanks, I was going to request this.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Jmfke. I have no idea how to do it but the advice is appreciated Smile

I tried to put a counter on the site at the beginning but I'm an amateur at this and I couldn't get it to work and I don't know why. My service provider says that they will have some site monitoring thing installed by the end of the month, beginning of next, so I'm waiting to see what they come up with before I try anything new.

As for the single pdf. I decided against that simply because putting together a single pdf takes quite a bit of time and since I plan on adding to the site regularly (I still haven't got together the stuff thats written and put it all into easily pdf-able documents yet and I'm always adding new things to what I've already got) it seemed a waste of time. It would just never be as up to date as the smaller pdf files.

I was playing with a single zip file with all the documents in but that's already 25 meg and growing with every additional pdf. Your offer to host it is appreciated but with me changing and updating it without warning and over the smallest little thing Rolling Eyes it would be a serious headache for you.

Hopefully, one day I'll have so much stuff properly edited that I'll consider it 'mostly finished' Smile and then I'll put together a super-document with all the files in one. If your offer is still open then than it would be great to be able to host it somewhere where people can get at it but that's got to be a project for the future...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it an open invitation. I'm happy to help out.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again everyone.

It's been a while since I updated the site but I finally got around to adding the tactics stuff I promised and the rules for shield operations. You'll find both in the techniques chapter.

Just thought I would let you all know...
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read most of this stuff today. One conclusion - it's soooooo complex!
I see some interesting ideas here, but most of material is just too odd for me, it changes much too much. Additionally there is so much new rules and tables (it reminds me d20 books).
My home brew rules mostly simplify or clarify (but not complicate) existing official rules, but I think It's no sense to publish them, because every GM has it's own (the best Smile) modifications.

I hope you don't feel offended. You asked for comments and I gave it to you Rolling Eyes
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through all of it yet, but I agree. While it looks kinda nice, it does add a fair bit of complication to a system that had a lot of its strength in its simplicity. I doubt I'd use it over a lightly modified classic version.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I never expected it t be to eveyone's taste. I don't personally feel that the system is complicated though. The basic system is unchanged. The basic premise that you have a skill and you roll against a difficulty applies at all times just as it always did.

The techniques are what appear to be complicated. They are not however since you don't need to use them very precisely. They are there to provide options and a framework for the GM to determine difficulties.

Unlike the previous modifications that I made this one has now been very thoroughly playtested - hence the sheer amount of material.

Under the old system there were different rules for everything. Blindfighting was a manoeuvre, an aspect of a force power, a special skill that only one race of aliens could buy ect.... (all of which only got worse if you introduced home-brewed stuff). Under these rules everything is a technique and everyone can use almost every technique regardless (with the exception of advanced techniques everyone can have a go at using anything).

Martial arts, force powers, spells by Dathomir witches, the special abilities of strange aliens, under this system they are all the same rules mechanic. But this sytem doesn't take any of them away... and its so easy to construct a new technique on the fly half the time you don't even realise you just created a new one. You only have to write it down when someone specializes in it. The technique system restrains the abuse of specializations.

As for the tables, there appears to be a lot because I reprint them under each technique so as to be clear but they all use the same basic tables and those tables apply to every since rule in the game. Subtract difficulty from roll; Divide by 5 to determine the effect if its something the skill should be able to do; Divide by 10 if its a bit more powered (done).

As with the original system, the basics are universal... everything else is optional. That's what I was aiming for when I started the re-write for my players - incorporating new ptions but in a way that felt clean, universal, a way that applied the same basic methodology to every new rule as opposed to the accumulation of different rules we had at that point.

The techniques just break it all down so you know exactly which options you are using in your game. Plus, in those area where players love to have cool and unique things on their character sheets (namely Force Power and martial arts Smile ) this sytem outlines a vast array of options but each person will likely only ever use a few.

Of course, all that said, you don't have to believe me when I say it works as quickly and easily as the original. I put the stuf here so that people could take what they liked and ditch everything else. I hope you find something you like. I do, however, admit that I would like to think someone out there will try the system as outlined because I promise you will be surprised just how well it works. I'm not being conceited: the original d6 system is by far the best action-roleplaying system I've ever 'messed with' and we were all surprised just how well it worked out Shocked

Thanks for reading it all guys. This forum is the 'last best' place for d6 out there and I appreciate all the opinions you throw my way Smile
edgookin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Nice Job Reply with quote

I've been reading through what you've done, and I really like it. It takes some of my house rules and puts some firm numbers to them. Do you need any help writing any of it? I'd love to help out.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any and all assistance would be welcome, edgookin Smile My local group of players have made many contributions and its always good to get another perspective even when the rules seem to be working.

As you can see there is still much that needs to be done. The way I've put the files together its easy to add new material. Just let me know what stuff you would like to work on/suggest / add etc. and I'll try to incorporate it into the final product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: