The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sith Lords and Tactical Commanders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Sith Lords and Tactical Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Sith Lords and Tactical Commanders Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

First, a quick intro... (sorry if I'm repeating myself)

As many of you know I have written a very large update of the rules including a wide variety of house rules. In these rules, everything you can do is represented by techniques (similar to Force Powers in revised). Some of these techniques use only one skill, some use very many. Check out my website using the www button if you want to know more.

Anyway, I have run into a little bit of a problem when its come to writing up some of the technique sections. I'm sure this is not the last one I'll come to you for help with as you all seem to know the game very well and there are so few forums that have any interest in d6 anymore so I hope you won't mind me asking for your advice. Very Happy

Anyway, basically I'm having difficulty with two of the technique sections:

Tactics

I know this has been discussed before on the forum but that thread didn't seem to reach any conclusions. I've been wanting to write a selection of techniques that use the tactics skill for some time but have found it difficult to come up with ideas. Basically I have two characters in my game that really could do with this document and I'm sure many others would find it useful.

What do you use tactics for, basically? I have thoughts of initiative bonuses, forcing others to declare their actions to you before they can take them, making battle plans (although what bonuses this would offer are unclear) but I'm sure the skill must be more useful than this (I have hundreds of techniques for some of the other skills)

Also, any ideas that might include or use con, business, or any of the other social skills are useful: I think those skills are horribly under used in the game.

Sith Powers

This is an area that both WEG and d20 seem to have grossly mishandled. The powers that do exist seem horribly abuseable and there are not many listed. I understand why. These powers are rare to nonexistent in the Rise of the Empire and later eras and they are never intended for players even if you are playing during the Sith era.

According to WEG the Sith have seven traditions, disciplines, devotions, whatever... I've wanted to write up a more complete list of what those devotions entail for some time but have always had difficulty with what was thematically correct for the Sith. What sort of abilities do people here think the sith should have? suggestions for powers, the capacities of sith sorcery, alchemy etc. I would love to have some feedback before I try to finish this document. You can find my work so far in pdf form at http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/Chapter%202%20Techniques/Dark%20Side%20Power%20Techniques.pdf (hope that link works).

Anyway, any input would be gratefully appreciated.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the link, but I got nothing.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about this. Apparently my whole site has vanished into limbo. I've contacted my host and its not just me, there having a little problem. They say it will be fixed but I'm not sure when. I'll keep you informed Smile
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all up and running again - that's my exciting adventure for the week
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if no one else is going to, I'll drop my Tactics skill rules in here. It's not a list of maneuvers or techniques, but it's covered every situation the players wanted it for. (It could probably use some re-wording- I hope the meaning is clear.)

Tactics
This skill is used to create attack and defense strategies for groups of people, usually military forces. It is also used to analyze an enemy’s strategy for weaknesses. High-level commanders use Tactics to capture territory and determine where battles will be fought. Lower-level commanders use Tactics to give their troops a positional advantage over the enemy.

General Strategy
Difficulty is usually rolled against an opposing strategist’s Tactics roll, with the result modified by how well the character understands the situation, including enemy commanders, troop skill levels, terrain, and other factors. Successful rolls allow a strategist to direct troops to achieve goals in battle, such as dividing an opponent’s forces or luring them into an ambush, possibly affecting the outcome of the battle. Using information from Tactics skill rolls requires the Command skill (under Perception) to re-deploy and coordinate troops, but this is often done by lower-level commanders.

Combat Skill Bonuses
When playing out the events of a battle, a Tactics roll allows a character to give a +1D bonus to a small group of troops, for 1 or more skills chosen from the Dexterity, Mechanical, or Strength attributes. Difficulty is based on the number of loyal troops being deployed: Easy for up to 10 troops, Moderate for 11-50, Difficult for 51-200, Very Difficult for 201-500, and Heroic for 501-1000. A successful Tactics roll gives a bonus to 1 skill, and 1 additional skill for every 10 points the roll exceeded the difficulty. Deploying troops to gain these bonuses requires a Command skill roll at the same difficulty level. Opposing commanders can use Tactics to analyze the battle and eliminate these bonuses, possibly giving bonuses to their own troops as well. Skill bonuses from Tactics come from using formations, building fortified positions, or outmaneuvering an enemy- if troops are already receiving bonuses from any of these factors, Tactics can not be used for additional bonuses.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that breakdown DB... Easy to use, and gives those who opt for knowledge skills a way to shine in combat...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always used tactics in two basic ways. In large scale battles the battles are resolved based on tactics rolls compared to what each side has supplied. No hard rules, just fluid to the entire circumstance. The second use was for awareness of tactics. Characters with tactics used it like Perception when someone was doing something tactical or using it against them. (One small group of storm troopers fire while another sneaks up to flank them, ect.)

If any game bonus were awarded they were always decided on the spot. I do see who DB's simplified rules could be easily used to represent the same type of thing in a consistent way.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies everyone Smile
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have now added some tactics rules to my site. You can have a look at http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/Chapter%202%20Techniques/Combat%20Techniques.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: