The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advantages & Disadvantages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Advantages & Disadvantages. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Advantages & Disadvantages. Reply with quote

Does anyone else use them in their campaigns? Does anyone have a good list of them if they do. They are used in both of the campaigns I am currently in employ them, but I don't have a decent list. The ones that I'm aware of are the pretty common ones, such as hunted, paranoid, hatred of authority, etc.

For anyone who does know what they are, they are kind of like character history that improves or hinders your character in various ways. In our games, for each advantage you take, you have to take a disadvantage. Each advantage and disadvantage are assigned a point value and you have to make sure that advantages are less than, or equal to disadvantages. However, you can only have 4 points of advantages and no more than 6 points of disadvantages.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 Space has advantages/disadvantages/special abilities system described in details. I'm using it in SWRPG. I also wrote down few dozens of additional advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages and special abilities are bought during character creation for skill dice, disadvantages give back skill dice (no more than 10 points in disadvantages). Later, during game, advantages can be bought for 5CP/point (or by taking a disadvantage), disadvantages may be bought off (10CP/point).
If somebody is interested I can put a summary of D6 Space rules and adv/dis and add my list of adv/dis as a bonus Wink
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does sound quite interesting Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about implementing this sort of thing into Star Wars through the years, but never came up with a system that was entirely satisfactory. Came from playing White Wolf games with their Merits and Flaws system.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.. I don't know, I prefer to keep my character's flaws and advantages as part of their background and personality, not something ingrained in the gaming system.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind at least looking at the list ... I pretty much agree w/ Gry in general... However, I can see where some merits and flaws might be interesting....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major problem with having advantages and disadvantages as part of character creation is that it doesn't really provide any incentive to act on those disadvantages from that point on. It's up to the skill of the roleplayer, and frankly, most of my players (save one) aren't quite that adept at playing flaws.

Now, what WOULD be an interesting system is to give them a disadvantage of say, gambling. If they gamble something where there is some risk of loosing, then they get an extra CP at the end of an adventure. If they wager something of great significance to them (whether they win or loose) then they get 5 CPs at the end of the adventure, (say, a Jedi wagering a lightsaber), and if they bet something of great significance that doesn't belong to them (Han betting the Lady Luck, or Luke's lightsaber) it gains them 10 CPs at the end of the adventure. This would encourage them to play their disadvantage.

I haven't worked that out into a system yet. But I think that the notion has some potential.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work. Of course, you could also impose a CP penalty for ignoring the flaw too.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it would not be fair to give them an advantage for having and playing a flaw.

What I do personally, is i have a character make up a background and personality, and if they play that properly, then i give then extra cp's, and if they dont, i dont give them any extra cps

so basically, with each adventure, comes 0-5 roleplaying cp's

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we've classically done as well.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
yes, it would not be fair to give them an advantage for having and playing a flaw.

Why would it be so unfair to give them an ooc reward for playing a flaw? I mean, they still have to pay the penalties within the game. Their character doesn't understand the compulsion, even if the player does.

Granted, I've not used this method, and I bring it up here prior to implementation so that you guys can critique it and help me improve on these ideas. (Or discard them if they won't work well.)
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, well i guess it kind of makes sense with what i had said. If they roleplay their character properly (gamble way to much) they will get the RP CP's. Usually i do CP handouts on this scale 5CP for a chapter, and up to 5CPs for good roleplaying. So that way a character with a flaw who plays it will get the cps for playing it, and if they dont, they wont get as many RP CPs. instead of doing a direct reward for "if you do x, you get x" as an encouragement, its if you RP well, you get x, and to rp well, you will have to be able to gamble.

This way if the character really wants to fix himself, he can RP working out a flaw in his character and still be rewarded for it (granted he will have to will have to work at it)

how does that sound cheshire?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I've thought about implementing this sort of thing into Star Wars through the years, but never came up with a system that was entirely satisfactory. Came from playing White Wolf games with their Merits and Flaws system.

Like i did.. i once tried to come up with something, but during one of my moves/base changes, i lost it..

One of the 3 advantages i DID make though, was edidic memory. And a nasty flaw i had was clutz...

Quote:
The major problem with having advantages and disadvantages as part of character creation is that it doesn't really provide any incentive to act on those disadvantages from that point on. It's up to the skill of the roleplayer, and frankly, most of my players (save one) aren't quite that adept at playing flaws.

that is why i prefer flaws that have some physical make up, so they cannot be ignored..

Just as a quick write up here are 2 i made up..
Like rough skin - hampers a character's good looks, imposing a -5 penalty on social rolls. also hinders sleight of hand/fine finger manipulation by -5. BUT has the benefit that blundeoning attacks get soaked against with a +5 bonus.

Felgotism - This strange disease, manifests it self on long (more than 2 hr) journies AND when a person sets/steps on a new planet... It causes moderate sneezing, runny noses and bluriness in the eyes, imposing a 10 penalty on perception checks, for a minimum of 2d hrs..
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like a system that give direct CP rewards for a player who performs a certain action (like your example of gambling a valuable thing). Putting things in black and white like that gives way to a lot of abuse.

"Wait folks, could you wait 10 minutes before we storm the imperial base? I have to rush down to the local cassino and bet the group's ship (I'm running low on CPs...)."

I'd much rather give some extra CP for good roleplaying of a character's personality, including his flaws and merits.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Why would it be so unfair to give them an ooc reward for playing a flaw? I mean, they still have to pay the penalties within the game. Their character doesn't understand the compulsion, even if the player does.

Because the reward has already been given. If you take advantages, you have to spend points to buy them. If you take disadvantages, you get extra points to spend. It wouldn't make sense to give a character bonus points for taking a disadvantage, and then MORE points for playing out that disadvantage.
I do like the idea of penalizing points for not playing the disadvantage, although in my group, it's not really necessary. If we're playing a game that uses disadvantages, people are pretty good about staying true to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: