The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How does MFTAS work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How does MFTAS work? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: How does MFTAS work? Reply with quote

I know that MFTAS is a part of Stormtrooper helmet. Official rules say: "MFTAS: Multi-Frequency Targeting Acquisition System; adds +2D to Perception checks in low-visibility situations, +2D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.". Bonus dice may differ between versions.

Bu what does it mean? Only polarized lenses are clear for me.
About low-visiblity - I always used it not as a bonus, but as a reduction of penalty (for example: complete darkness has +4D modifier to difficulty, but for Stormtrooper it's only +2D, light smoke +1D is reduced by MFTAS to +0 etc.).

But what about MFTAS and moving target? I think it will not work as a penalty reduction (I haven't found any difficulty modifiers for attacking a moving target). So, it looks for me like a strange device, that can't help you as long as your target moves <2m/s (<10m/round), but gives you great bonus (+2D, compared to Stormtroopers' blaster 4D - armor 1D = 3D) if target moves 2.01m/s or more. In my games I'm ignoring it - I think it's a kind of authors' mistake.

Also - I see thet many sources don't tell about MFTAS as part of Stortrooper helmet: Imperial Sourcebook doesn't mention about MFTAS at all, SE Trilogy Sourcebook says about something called MTFS (page 154, Game Notes for E-11). Probably I could find more examples, but it's not needed. It's present in SWRPG R&E, are there other sources describing/referring it?
Wookiepedia doesn't mention about MFTAS "moving target" feature, it says only: "Multi-Frequency Targeting and Acquisition System (MFTAS) helped with the stormtroopers' perception in darkness as well as smoke and other visibility obscuring conditions".
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured it was labeled as a "multi-frequency way to help the trooper acquire a target" as it it was filtering out non visible light with visible light, helping the trooper see and thus acquire targets.

As for the bouns / reduction in penalty it works the same. you have -4D for low light and +2D for MFTAS giving you a net -2D penalty

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this one Tupteq. I deal with the low-visibility thing the same way you do, and am also at a loss regarding the speed thing. It's obvious that the "moving bonus" should operate as something that negates a penalty, but the problem is that the game system doesn't have a difficulty modifier for moving targets. It doesn't make sense that a targeting system would exist where it's actually EASIER to hit a target that's moving fast than one that's just sitting there.

The more correct thing to do would be to raise the difficulty when anyone is shooting at a moving target, and then the ST would get that bonus in those situations....
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the moving target thing helps only if the target is dodging so if you call a dodge and make the difficulty higher than the range difficulty then the stormtrooper gets his bonus dice to hitting you.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this only adds to perception, and it is easier to see a moving target...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:

Hmm, "+2D to ranged weapon skill uses against targets moving more than 10 meters per round" doesn't sound like a bonus to perception. I think it's best to just ignore this part of description.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, well, it could show the ST the targets current trajectory, so the difficulity of increased range is brought down a bit, as the trooper just shoots where the dot is..

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the entry says nothing about "increased range". We have to try to work with what WEG gave us.

As I see it, this system scans the target in front of you, calculates its movement and speed and feeds into your visor an image of its projected trajectory. So if the target is standing still or moving slowly, it makes no real difference because the projection will be practically on top of the real target. But if the target is traveling fast, than you won't have to mentally calculate where to "overshoot" your target, you simply shoot where your MFTAS tells you the target will be (taking into acount target speed and trajectory and you blaster bolt's travelling speed).
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Gry!
This system could only negate penalties (shows you most probable vector, so you can shoot to moving target as it was motionless). It doesn't help you with dodging target (random moves, no vector) nor with long range shots.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People dodging aren't moving 2m/sec. usually. So if a character was moving quickly and dodging, they're still S.O.L. and the Stormtrooper gets the bonus.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm.. I don't know. A dodge seems like too brief a movement for the MFTAS to be used effectively. The system would have to be able to effectively predict the future in order to aid on a quick subtle dodge.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the low vis as an offset of penalties too. Especially in smoke or darkness (in fact i use stormies with smoke grenades as a battle tactic)..

Quote:
In my games I'm ignoring it - I think it's a kind of authors' mistake.

Actually i use it all the time. Think aboutit... not often in a regular game will it come into play (eg against speeders or aliens with a higher base move). And most people know that stormies have it so limit their movement anyway..

Quote:

Good point vong. Perhaps we could change that to where it adds +2d to perception checks to see NON moving targets instead of having it add to hit moving targets.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
People dodging aren't moving 2m/sec. usually. So if a character was moving quickly and dodging, they're still S.O.L. and the Stormtrooper gets the bonus.

Hmmmm probably correct. I suppose it'd only work if you dodged in a certain way (like turning off your jetpack and dropping like a stone or something)
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that Stormies with Smoke Grenades are *LETHAL*!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I can confirm that Stormies with Smoke Grenades are *LETHAL*!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: