The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

a bountyhunter campain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> a bountyhunter campain Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: a bountyhunter campain Reply with quote

well i'm new to this forum and since this is my first post i'll say hi. (hi) ok now down to buisness. i've ran starwars d6 for about 10 years now but i've ran into a first. a group of players that wanted to play a complete bountyhunting group game. and they also decided to play on a single planet. does anybody have some experience with this style of gaming? i'm usually very detailed with my games and i created a system and planet for them to play on, (not too hard) but i'm running into trouble with bounties, i've been creating each bounty as i would major baddies with persionalities and backgrounds ect so the game doesn't become borring and 2 dimentional. any advice on how i could do this without spending days on each character?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see nothing wrong with spending days planning each adventure. Isn't that how it's supposed to be? And if in your case "the mission is the man", then you should spend a few days creating the target and what challenges he will present.

The only thing is that after a few "straight-up bounty hunting" adventures, you should shake things up a little, cause otherwise even the most avid bounty hunter fan will get bored. I'd suggest having the Empire try to arrest them, or maybe have a family member of a past target hire someone to hunt THEM.
Skaff Toxian
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it not to be two dimensional, then spending days planning each target is almost a must. That way, you can really put all you're effort into creating exciting characters that the PC's can go after. A detailed and, perhaps mostly, creative background can give unlimited possibilities to new adventuring ideas. So let the creative juices flow and get on with it!
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The only thing is that after a few "straight-up bounty hunting" adventures, you should shake things up a little, cause otherwise even the most avid bounty hunter fan will get bored. I'd suggest having the Empire try to arrest them, or maybe have a family member of a past target hire someone to hunt THEM.

well i may just have to hunker down for a few days and get several characters pumped out. (i just give the characters a list of available bounties and they pick the ones they to hunt) the way i'm running this campain is slightly different from what the bountyhunter book states. i recieved the book a week ago and only had a few days before the campain to skim it. the system they are in is very outer rim. the imperial presence is much more than what one would expect in such a remote place. the imps mainly focus their efforts to stop pirates, (they get raided almost reguraly) and the system is governd by a corporate conglomorate. the company emploies bountyhunters as their main "police force." the twists will come when the characters stop just shooting their way through bounties and try to figure out why there are imp cargo ships entering and leaving the system several times a week.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you should work on fleshing out the whole star system as well. A trip to a moon or mining asteroid wouldn't be out of their jurisdiction (sp?) after all. Not to mention you can compromise the single planet want with expanding into the system as they go.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toughest part about this sort of set up is keeping it fresh and interesting. Basically, I find you have to set it up like a video game RPG; give them puzzles, essentially have the bounty as an "end boss" kind of thing and occasionally have them escape. Figuring out WHERE a bounty is can be a challenge, then jumping through the hoops to get them should be yet another.

Having really detailed targets, really detailed locations, etc. is of the utmost importance. Don't forget about the surprises Wink
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the planet they are on is acyually a moon of a gass giant. there are two other habited moons around that same gass giant. the planet they are on is low grav planet with an as yet unknown aquatic race. (the species as a whole is very shy and timid and attempt to stay away from other races) the other "planets" were settled after the first. one planet has a toxic atmosphere so the cities are domed. this planet is basically a pleasure planet, or so the populace thinks. (more story twists will develop here when the characters get their ship out of impound) the third planet has a single large milti-domed city comlpex. this planet hides a massive hidden imperial research base. so i think i've allowed the characters the chance to expand their jurisdiction, i hope. as par as puzzels go i'm not very good at those but i have been trying to come up with varous places and people that the characters will have to go to/find in order to find the bounties, but that is along the same line as puzzels, i'm not very good at those. i end up making them either too hard or too easy.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here :/
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you pick up Cracken's most wanted and read through it. It will help give you ideas and might spark some ideas for you. And then, if you hit a time when you don't feel like spending 2 days making a character open it up, choose a pre-gen and make minor modifications to it instead. That should let you have a stated out villain with a back story faster. Just don't do it all the time...but as a way to give yourself a break every now and then....
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that when you say "the book," you mean Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters. If not, get it. There are many things in there that will help flesh out characters for you.

A module that might help you is Tatooine Manhunt. In there you're going to be dealing with such nefarious bounty hunters as Jodo Kast (if you're not familiar with him, he also wears Mandalorian battle armor, like Boba Fett's, but a little less protection rating and different color scheme). That ought to give you some further ideas for hunters, bounties, and so on. Plus, if you'd have an easier time running a pre-gen module, you have one that deals specifically with bounty hunters, which is what the group wants.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i suck at pre-gened stuff. the most i use them for is ideas on people and places. but i'll see if i can find that module and see if there is something i can adapt, thanks.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing.

I usually find that most people use pre-gen stuff for people, places, maps and stats. Everything else is their own creation.
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pre-gen stuff for all game systems to give me ideas/threads but I never keep to the complete adventure I use what I want and discard what I don't like
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I usually get ideas from movies, or driving through the country. just looking at the scenery you can get some wicked ideas for campaigns, and then your descriptions of the area are just that much more enthralling.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey come visit south africa you will have loads of ideas Laughing And I have a few spare places to put people
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: