The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

increasing weapons beyond the maximum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> increasing weapons beyond the maximum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: increasing weapons beyond the maximum Reply with quote

ok so i have a player playing a barabel character. he has a vibro-axe and wanted to up the dammlage he could inflict but he was already at the maximum and wated to see if he could increase it. i don't know of any rulle that would allow this (or any reasoning that would allow this either). so i said no to increasing the dammage but we could impliment a house rule that we had used in another game that seemed to work. when rolling to hit a target for every 10 points above the difficulty to hit add 1 pip to the dammage. has anyone here used a simmilar rule, or have a better suggestion?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the limit is there for a reason. It's the limit, that's it, no going beyond that. However I'm not against adding damage for extraordinary success.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty sensible to me. I think there may be a similar rule in place for ranged weapons in the Spec Forces Handbook.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One rule i have used is that you can 'willingly exceed a melee weapons maximum damage' but if you do so you run the risk of breaking it.

EG a Talos vibro-dagger has a max damage of 6d+2, This gives us a 6x6 +2 for 38 max damage.
If you say, spend a force point and are now at 8d+4 (example), and you roll 49, that gives you 11 over the max damage, which is rolled as damage against the weapons 2d body (or what ever it has listed)..
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One rule i have used is that you can 'willingly exceed a melee weapons maximum damage' but if you do so you run the risk of breaking it.

EG a Talos vibro-dagger has a max damage of 6d+2, This gives us a 6x6 +2 for 38 max damage.
If you say, spend a force point and are now at 8d+4 (example), and you roll 49, that gives you 11 over the max damage, which is rolled as damage against the weapons 2d body (or what ever it has listed)..

thats a good idea. just wondering though. if the extra dammage is done in the same round as the force point should you double the weapons "body" roll?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The force point only doubles you and your personal skills; not your gear. So a force point spent using a blaster yields extraordinary shots but not any extra damage. (Unless you decide to just make all your shots be called shots to the head.) But that is a different reason.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
if the extra dammage is done in the same round as the force point should you double the weapons "body" roll?

Nope, Force point is enhancing you, not the item. I'm pretty sure it mentions that weapon damage that doesn't come from your strength is not altered by Force Points in the rules.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official D6 Space rules say that if you hit target in possibly vital area (torso or head for human), then for every 5 points of success (points above difficulty) you add +1 (not +1 pip) to damage.
My addition: Some weapons or special abilities may alter required number of success points (for example blade with serrated blade may add +1 for every 4 points of success).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played an Esoomian (7D strength naturally) the GM said that normal weapons wouldn't exceed their maximum damage (Which for the most part was around 7D) but it would allow me to do different types of damage. For instance if I was using a vibro axe (strength plus 3D max 7D) I would be more effective at hacking down walls or doors even though the damage I'd do with my fists was the same.

Fortunately he also said that any authentic Esoomian weapons would have no max damage cap as it made no sense for Esoomians to manufacture weapons that couldn't be used in conjunction with their high strength.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
Official D6 Space rules say that if you hit target in possibly vital area (torso or head for human), then for every 5 points of success (points above difficulty) you add +1 (not +1 pip) to damage.
My addition: Some weapons or special abilities may alter required number of success points (for example blade with serrated blade may add +1 for every 4 points of success).

Really? Is that a R&E or 2nd ed. thing? I don't recall it in 2nd Ed. and I've only kinda learned the R&E changes.

/me gets his books.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Really? Is that a R&E or 2nd ed. thing? I don't recall it in 2nd Ed. and I've only kinda learned the R&E changes.

It's in "D6 Space" v2 by WEG (this is it).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
garhkal wrote:

thats a good idea. just wondering though. if the extra dammage is done in the same round as the force point should you double the weapons "body" roll?

Nope since force points don't affect the weapon's stats itself... just you..

Quote:
When I played an Esoomian (7D strength naturally)

What book they from? Seems to me a race with 7d as a natural str is a little overpowered. heck give them a simple flac vest and they can even take on a heavy eweb with no worry.
Or on a force point they can stand there and take a full blast from an Xwing's quadded lasers.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where they're statted as a species, but in the Bounty Hunters book, one of the example hunters is Tantor, an Esoomian with 7D strength.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What book they from? Seems to me a race with 7d as a natural str is a little overpowered. heck give them a simple flak vest and they can even take on a heavy eweb with no worry.
Or on a force point they can stand there and take a full blast from an Xwing's quadded lasers.

They only appear (and by they I mean one of them) in General Cracken's most wanted. An Esoomian bounty hunter by the name of Tantor. No official stats exist for them so people just extrapolate stats from Tantor's stats.

The GM of my game gave Esoomians the following stats
All dicepools except strength min 1D max 3D
Strength min 3D max 7D
Move min 11 max 13
He also imposed the following upon any Esoomian characters.
-Fine manipulation penalty: Esoomians hands are more at home with locomotion or crushing things than delicate tasks. (Penalty dependant on situation)
-Difficulty with basic: An Esoomian's jaw throat structure is incapable of correctly pronouncing the basic language. All speech in basic must be somehow garbled.
-Quarantined: Due to Esoomian's violent nature and huge strength their home planet (Esooma) is under Imperial quarantine. Any Esoomians found off world are in breach of Imperial law. They are subject to immediate deportation (at best)
-Huge size: Esoomians are much larger than the average galactic norm, as such any clothing or equipment must be modified or specially made to fit/be used by them.

There was no WEG background material for this race so I had a lot of fun designing it.

7D strength is a huge advantage but they're a challenging race to roleplay so it's no walk in the park.
Whew, that was a bit long... and somewhat off topic

[Edit] My post took so long that Ankhanu had already summed it up by the time I finished Very Happy [/edit]
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: increasing weapons beyond the maximum Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
we could impliment a house rule that we had used in another game that seemed to work. when rolling to hit a target for every 10 points above the difficulty to hit add 1 pip to the dammage. has anyone here used a simmilar rule, or have a better suggestion?

I've always been of the opinion that exceeding maximum damage is what called shots are for- if you take the attack penalty for aiming at the mook's neck and still hit, you can throw an extra die or two onto your damage.

On the other hand, I have used a variation of that idea- not as a rule, but as a feature added to a customized weapon (and only the weapon's owner received the bonus). My group had a Noghri and a Tusken Raider (at different times), who both ended up customizing their weapons in various ways- we figured that building up some Melee Weapon Repair skill dice, and buying the tools and supplies to craft their own weapons, was a fair trade-off for the bonuses.

Of course, bear in mind that the vibro-axe's maximum damage of 7D (according to the revised and expanded rulebook) is already more than the damage of a grenade or light repeating blaster, and 8D is E-Web damage. Keep adding onto melee damage, and your non-melee characters will start to feel short-changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: