The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

increasing weapons beyond the maximum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> increasing weapons beyond the maximum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, especially when those non melee'rs can still dish it out when there is distance involved (or a chasm...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
They only appear (and by they I mean one of them) in General Cracken's most wanted. An Esoomian bounty hunter by the name of Tantor. No official stats exist for them so people just extrapolate stats from Tantor's stats.

I also once played one of these. (Odd how many people did...especially since there was only one and only in one book.) I actually made mine have the max KNO my GM had allowed for the race and then acted dumb as hell. No one, no one ever thought I was much more than a cargo lifter. I had soooo many things going on in the background of that character and the other PC's were never any the wiser or suspicious until one of the other players looked over my sheet without permission and asked the GM in front of everyone - "How does HE have an KNO of 3D? That's smarter than MY character."

Didn't play that character much after that...he just kinda faded away.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing weapons beyond the maximum Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
ifurin wrote:
we could impliment a house rule that we had used in another game that seemed to work. when rolling to hit a target for every 10 points above the difficulty to hit add 1 pip to the dammage. has anyone here used a simmilar rule, or have a better suggestion?

I've always been of the opinion that exceeding maximum damage is what called shots are for- if you take the attack penalty for aiming at the mook's neck and still hit, you can throw an extra die or two onto your damage.

IMO "good shot" damage bonus doesn't collide with "called shot" bonus. Let me cite D6 Space (again, I know, I'm a little bit annoying) and it's complete description of damage bonus:
D6 Space v2 (p.75) wrote:
Optional Damage Bonus
The combat skill roll is supposed to reflect the accuracy of attack. therefore, gamemasters may reward high rolls for players' characters and significant gamemaster characters with a bonus to damage. Subtract the difficulty of the successful attack from the skill total and divide this number by 5, rounding up. Add this damage bonus to the damage total before comparing it to the resistance total. If the gamemaster uses the damage bonus in combination with a called-shot hit location, the bonus is in addition to to the damage modifier except for attempts on an arm, leg, or hand. In those cases, ignore the damage bonus.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
I also once played one of these. (Odd how many people did...especially since there was only one and only in one book.) I actually made mine have the max KNO my GM had allowed for the race and then acted dumb as hell. No one, no one ever thought I was much more than a cargo lifter. I had soooo many things going on in the background of that character and the other PC's were never any the wiser or suspicious until one of the other players looked over my sheet without permission and asked the GM in front of everyone - "How does HE have an KNO of 3D? That's smarter than MY character."

My Esoomian character started with 2D+1 in knowledges and through expenditure of character points now has 3D in knowledges. Exposure to the other players caused him to focus on mental development rather than physical skills as he would have done if left to his own devices
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of deviating too much from the thread topic, I noticed something weird- the Wookieepedia pages for Tantor and the Zexx species are basically identical... the Zexx page says the two species might be related- is there anything more on this?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically, I would say that under normal circumstances you could expect that they likely are either the same race or one is on off-shoot or decended from the other. (Their basic racial appearance is identical with the same structures for their feet, hands, face, head, eyes, body shape.) The only thing that makes that normal jump of logic less sound is that in Star Wars humans (nearly identical or identical) pop up on hundreds of worlds across the galaxy with no "history" of how this could have happened; it is clear the humans themselves didn't come from one world and colonize outward, but instead humans came from all over. (Some "human" and others "near-human".)

So I'd say likely, they are the same or related somehow except that they have different official race names....perhaps it changed over time; we are dealing with the difference between TotJ and the Original Trilogy. At the very least we can logically conclude if they are not directly inter-related they likely come from very similar planets that would have the same type of life develop over time.

So, maybe?
That's improbable?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the star wars universe, they have said may tiems they dont know their history, most of it is lost. So i figure that the humans actually did go out to explor the universe and did settle everywhere they are. over the course of many 1000s of years they evolved differently in their different environments to see the difference we see now.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
At the risk of deviating too much from the thread topic, I noticed something weird- the Wookieepedia pages for Tantor and the Zexx species are basically identical... the Zexx page says the two species might be related- is there anything more on this?

I saw this one too and I was wondering about it. I'd assumed they were genetic cousins and there may have been the posibility of interbreeding but there just isn't enough actually information out there in either species so it's mostly just conjecture.

Last edited by Esoomian on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Well, in the star wars universe, they have said may tiems they dont know their history, most of it is lost. So i figure that the humans actually did go out to explor the universe and did settle everywhere they are. over the course of many 1000s of years they evolved differently in their different environments to see the difference we see now.

It's possible it could have been something from an even longer, longer time ago, but they do have very good records (generally speaking) of times around the first development of hyperdrive and it's evolution. It's almost impossible that humans are scattered across the entire galaxy by colonizations alone. If there was a more advanced society that did it, or one subset of humans that isn't around anymore or even just lost all their cool tech.... but there would need to be an intervening variable.

The main problem is the old hyperspace tech wasn't cool enough to have seeded the galaxy, mostly because the advancements were made in a reasonable enough time that there wouldn't be to many generation gaps between colonizers and explorers in many cases.
That's improbable?
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Alternate rule Reply with quote

We use to allow items (weapons/armour) to be increased over time and with really absurd roles up too 1.5x their original. I mean if you think about it something that is +2D can be increased to 3D+1 which is more than 50% but something that is 6D+1 can only increase to 7D+2 which is under 20% increase. (If I am correct normal rule is 1D+1 increase) sorry if I am wrong, but principle stays the same.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternate rule Reply with quote

awfulalex wrote:
We use to allow items (weapons/armour) to be increased over time and with really absurd roles up too 1.5x their original. I mean if you think about it something that is +2D can be increased to 3D+1 which is more than 50% but something that is 6D+1 can only increase to 7D+2 which is under 20% increase. (If I am correct normal rule is 1D+1 increase) sorry if I am wrong, but principle stays the same.

Good point, but you must remember it will not work properly in all situations - it's OK for range, damage, maybe hull (in general stats where zero is non sensible value), but it will not work with maneuverability, fire control and other stats where zero is an acceptable value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: