The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 House Rules Disaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> D6 House Rules Disaster Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: D6 House Rules Disaster Reply with quote

So, in another topic I mentioned that I can't get my friends to want to play D6 because someone ran a very heavily modified "house rules" version of D6 and soured everyone. So, here are some of the house rules that caused the game to upset everyone:

1. Soak everything with "Stamina". (Gamorreans were gods.)
2. Lightsaber wielders added Control + Sense + Alter to damage. (One hit kille extreme.)
3. Made Jedi spend a force point to use ANY Jedi force power.
4. Skill difficulties for starting characters were beyond heroic. (I rolled a 44 on Security and set off an alarm because I messed the difficulty by too much.)
5. The story was railroaded. (Not a mechanic, but it didn't help.)

I know there was more, but I can't remember.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You really can't blame your group for not liking D6. These are the worst house rules I've seen in a long time.

1. Rolling STR already gives you a fair chance to shrug off most damage. Using Stamina is ludicrous.
2. Force-users lightsaber damage is already absurd, why would you add even more to it?
3. Spending FP for Force use... just silly. This guy had no idea how the game worked.
4. Begginning characters already have a hard time with things, why would you increase skill difficulties for them?

And on top of that, the adventure seemingly wasn't very good. Well, that was a very poor GM, to say the least, and it's a pity he spoiled D6 for your group. But I still think you should give it another try with them, give D6 another go. Just show them the TONS of D6 material there exist (about 5 times the size of WOTC's SW catalog), plus all the quality fan-made stuff. Then come up with a great adventure and get them hooked.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a court order to take away his gaming materials. I would probably hate D6 if I didn't know that wasn't the norm. The best thing you could do is arrange a one-shot, pre-make the characters for them, and hope they like it.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy. Whoever came up with those rules is a schmuck. Still sounds better than D20, though.
Twisted Evil
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It a losing battle; I've told them how the rules are supposed to work, I've even run a short series of games; but unfortunately this guy's rules still make a bigger impression than the real rules. I've gotten everyone to a place where they might be willing to give it another shot in a month or two; but I can't blame them for hating it after those house rules....I mean, it took everything I had not to scream "You're defacing my favorite game" in the GM's face when he was running it. I ended up having to quit after I think session #1 or 2 because I couldn't take watching my favorite system turn into a train wreck.

Oh, and more badness, he insisted on using all first edition stuff including the skill list. (Not that first edition is bad by itself or anything, but there were two revisions since then.)

I'm glad you guys can see why they dislike D6, I mean if I didn't know the actual rules I'd have disliked it....those rules were CRAZY.
That's improbable?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: D6 House Rules Disaster Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:

2. Lightsaber wielders added Control + Sense + Alter to damage. (One hit kille extreme.)
3. Made Jedi spend a force point to use ANY Jedi force power.

One hit kills with a lightsabre are pretty much thematic, but, yeah, game mechanic wise, that is absurd. Frightful even.

As for the Force Point thing, this is how I originally read the rules when I first played. Needless to say the dice I spent on Force Skills were wasted as they were never used Razz I'm glad I re-read it to find out that wasn't the case.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I feel physically sick. This is offensive. He wouldn't have left our gaming table alive. Smile
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but I can't believe I misspelled "kill" as "kille". I need to proofread better.
That's improbable?
Skaff Toxian
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he even own any of the books after nearly raping the rules like that? Well okay, I can read that the supposed GM had the first edition rules, or atleast some of them, but why change the system so greatly? Did he just seriously misread the rules?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skaff Toxian wrote:
Did he even own any of the books after nearly raping the rules like that? Well okay, I can read that the supposed GM had the first edition rules, or atleast some of them, but why change the system so greatly? Did he just seriously misread the rules?

He owned the first edition book and had at least read through, seen, or owned the second edition but he said "First edition was better, they screwed the whole thing up in the second ed." (I didn't agree with him and he couldn't actually provide a reason why he thought that....so it really wasn't an intelligent conversation. But this was the same guy who would often choose a side of an argument/debate and faithfully stick to his side without any support, reasons, and without acknowledging counterarguments....so I wasn't surprised.)

As for the "house rules"....I know they were house rules but I think he actually thinks/thought that's the way the rules are. I suspect that the people he used to play with used those rules so he is used to it and he never actually realized (read) the rules are not as he plays.

And I remember another one......it took a 25+ to land/takeoff in a ship; failure meant a crash. (I didn't pilot, but I think you had to make about three of these checks before you could attempt an astrogation roll.)
That's improbable?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I remember another one......it took a 25+ to land/takeoff in a ship; failure meant a crash.

Good GOD. Shocked
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can non heroes actually use space craft Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love D6, you guys love D6; I hope you can see why the people I play with are reluctant to try again after all these "rules".

And ya.....everyone who had any skill coordinated their actions to take-off and land. I think it took 4-5 people at controls to ensure they didn't crash.
That's improbable?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need this guys name, so the word can be put out about how bad a gm he is.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacklisting him1!!

light the torches! we got bad dms to burn!

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: