The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Best Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Best Adventures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mserabian
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Best Adventures Reply with quote

Hey Guys

I'm going to be starting up a Star Wars campaign. I'll be using the 1st edition d6 rules and I'm wondering what people remember as the best 1st edition adventures - and what were the worst! I've got an opportunity to buy some up and I like to use pre-made adventures. I've got Tatooine Manhunt and this one seems quite fun. I love the intro script and nice color map. Any other you can reccoment?

Thanks
Mal
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only started playing around 1994-1995 with 2nd Edition. Sorry Razz
kyledon Mystic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has a lot of adventures and he says they are all good it makes it a lot easier but you still have to know your players so you can plan the unexpected.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not exactly an adventure, but the first Planets of the Galaxy was a great help. Also the Introductory Adventure box set is also very good as it it mostly 1st edition like. I recommend Black Ice, Tatooine Manhunt (which you have), Starfall, Isis Coordinates, and Scavanger Hunt. I've had fun with these and used them to springboard into other games. I also recommend Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley if you want to expand Tatooine Manhunt. I also have played Mission to Liana, Graveyard of Alderaan, and Abduction of Crying Dawn Singer. They were okay but the GM wasn't that good. I think that with a different GM they would be a lot beter. Anything else?
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatooine Manhunt is one the better ones from the old modules. I personally like Graveyard of Alderaan and Battle for Golden Sun. Starfall is a good one if you want the pcs to start off trapped.
Zerin Caldorna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *highly* recommend "Strikeforce: Shantipole" I had alot of fun running that one with my players and they had a blast.

I also recommend "Domain of Evil". The difficulty is a bit high but it was written with experienced characters in mind. As written, a few parts are a little cheesy but I re-worked some encounters and it came off beautifully.

Both are A+ adventures!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much enjoyed Battle for the Golden Sun. It's different because it involves underwater sequences.

***SPOILER: IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE MODULE AND MIGHT, DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!***

And it's the cheater way to make your character Force Sensitive without having to pay the CPs to do so! Regardless of whether you start out as such or not, you're going to end up with it when you're done. And if you just HAPPEN to be playing a Jedi template of any kind, you're likely to get even better bonuses! I don't remember all the details for Jedi because I ran through this module with a Brash Pilot. However, he ended up the module with 1D in Sense, which opened the door for Force training down the road.
K21DUBIE
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed running all the moduels and found it let me take a break from brainstorming and even opened a few other story plots for later.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a module when running an adventure. I've read through them for ideas and such, but every game I've ever run has been mostly on the fly. I'll get a few details written up that I simply must have and then WOOOSH!
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe writing basic guidelines/skeleton for an adventure is much better than a complete adventure which has players have to do this else this don't happen. But to start I always suggest in a new game system first play/GM(DM) soem pre-set adventures to get the feel for writing and running adventures in the game system.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
I've never used a module when running an adventure. I've read through them for ideas and such, but every game I've ever run has been mostly on the fly. I'll get a few details written up that I simply must have and then WOOOSH!

And you do a great job of running them, too.

No, this ISN'T an attempt to get extra CPs, but I'd NEVER turn down a donation! Razz

Seriously, though, the best GMs are the ones who can operate solely on the fly. I'm not saying necessarily that they need to eschew the pre-fabricated module. They just need to be able to adapt to when their players (and let's face it, the players ALWAYS do) leave the beaten path. Plus, that just makes it seem more cinematic, which is what we're after in the first place, right?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

And you do a great job of running them, too.

Thank you!

Jedi Skyler wrote:
No, this ISN'T an attempt to get extra CPs, but I'd NEVER turn down a donation! Razz

No? Oh well, then I guess I'll delete this PM I was writing to give you those extra 50 points for use on your Force skills...

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Seriously, though, the best GMs are the ones who can operate solely on the fly. I'm not saying necessarily that they need to eschew the pre-fabricated module. They just need to be able to adapt to when their players (and let's face it, the players ALWAYS do) leave the beaten path. Plus, that just makes it seem more cinematic, which is what we're after in the first place, right?

<soapbox>That's something I would really like to address here. I consider Star Wars D6 to be a very cinematic role playing game, but it seems to me that several folks take the setting a bit too seriously. I've been bashed for my "style" of GMing by friends and those that don't really want much to do with me at all, but that's ok.

Personally, I think the game of Star Wars is about telling a good, fun story with just enough seriousness in it to make it have a little bit of feeling. If the characters seem over the top in some areas, that's ok, they're supposed to be! They're the heroes of the story, so they should stand out from everyone else.

Well, that's all I guess I'll say about it for now...

</off soapbox>
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

Jamfke wrote:

No? Oh well, then I guess I'll delete this PM I was writing to give you those extra 50 points for use on your Force skills...

Oh, you're EVIL!!!!!
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatooine Manhunt and Starfall are by far my two favorites. I really did not like the Otherspace modules. My biggest problem is my players never wanted to play "Rebels". They didn't mind being involved here and there, but they always wanted to be on the sidelines, profiting from the war, not participating in it. So most of the modules I had to adapt for this and couldn't use as written.

Because of that, the Galaxy Guides were really good, especially Guide 6 "Tramp Freighters" and guide 8 "Scouts". Both highly invaluable for creating campaigns that suited my players.

-shnar
ziltmilt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best adventure module? BLACK ICE !

Remember how in the rulebooks, WEG said you should try to introduce plot twists once or twice in the course of an adventure? Black Ice is chock full of plot twists. Even the introductory script has a little surprise popping up at the very end of the read-through.

Another nice feature of this story is its huge scale, perfectly in keeping with the spririt of Star Wars. For one thing, the PCs spend some time aboard a massive ship, several times larger than a Star Destroyer. The ending is also particularly nice because the PCs get to partake in a mass battle, where the Rebel base is attacked ... sort of like on Hoth.

The only ingredient missing is anything to do with the Force, but that's OK ... not every Star Wars story needs the Force.

I have fond memories of running this one ... I especially loved the look on my players' faces at several key points. Priceless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: