The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mass Drivers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Mass Drivers... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Mass Drivers... Reply with quote

Forgot about this... I wrote this up when the GM saw one of the Freighters somewhere having Mass Drivers installed in it. The name of the company (Corel & DuVal) is based on the last name of another player in my group, and myself (Not in that order, however), as we're the ones who usually argue over weaponry theory and practice during games, leaving the rest of the group behind in seconds flat with comments on reloading systems, rate of fire, ect.... Particularily when we get into Mathematics of Magnetic Bubbles and Cooling Rates of Superheated Gasses. Twisted Evil

He's had some Engeneering Schooling, and I read... Alot. My Father is an Old Sci-Fi "Nuts and Bolts" fan from long back, and I learned alot from him and his old books.

Mass Drivers
Ancient weapons used at the dawn of the Old Republic, and completely phased out only 300 years before the Clone Wars, Mass Drivers use a series of powerful electromagnets to shoot projectiles (Usually Low Grade Durasteel Spheres) at super-sonic speeds at their targets with great amounts of kinetic force. They have the prime advantage of not dissipating like the plasma bursts of Blasters, Laser Cannons and Turbolasers, but this can also be a disadvantage (Particularly in areas with a lot of friendly targets!), and were mainly phased out due to the mass and space restrictions, as well as some problems with ammunition loading systems.

Corel & DuVal, an Arms Company in the Mid-Rim, has revitalized these weapons (With some Modernization to the design) in modern times as a "Low maintenance, less restrictive alternative to Lasers", and are popular with Navies and Militias that are in areas that are poor in Blaster Gas, and with Freighter Bums who need a weapons system that has less legal (And Imperial) entanglements.

Corel & DuVal HV-20 20mm Mass Driver:
Skill: Starship Gunnery: Mass Driver
Fire Rate: 4
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 1D Starfighter
Cost: 750 Credits
Ammo: 1,000 Shots
Ammo Cost: 5 Credits/100 Shots
Weight: 1.5 Metric Tons
Capsule: The lightest Mass Driver on the market, the HV-20 was originally intended for use in a Hover-Tank. While light, they are useful when grouped together, and their loading system is the best of the group, allowing them to fire almost as fast as a Laser Cannon can cycle!

Corel & DuVal HV-40 40mm Mass Driver:
Fire Rate: 3
Damage: 3D Starfighter
Cost: 1,250 Credits
Ammo: 750 Shots
Ammo Cost: 15 Credits/100 Shots
Weight: 3.5 Metric Tons
Capsule: This design was a standard heavy weapon mount on some Ancient Old Republic Heavy Fighters and Bombers, as well as a good system to mount on a Freighter. Mr. Corel himself swears by this system!

Corel & DuVal HV-75 75mm Mass Driver:
Fire Rate: 2
Damage: 4D Starfighter
Cost: 2,500 Credits
Ammo: 500 Shots
Ammo Cost: 30 Credits/100 Shots
Weight: 5 Metric Tons
Capsule: A Heavy Mass Driver, this system is actually brand new, to bridge the gap between the HV-40 and HV-88. It was designed in a Streamlined manner, very retro to the good old days of the Old Republic, are are popular with Yacht Owners due to it's classic style and ability to deliever a good, strong hit!

Corel & DuVal HV-88 88mm Mass Driver:
Fire Rate: 1
Damage: 6D Starfighter
Cost: 7,500 Credits
Ammo: 200 Shots
Ammo Cost: 50/100 Shots
Weight: 7.5 Metric Tons
Capsule: Formerly only intended as a Capital Ship's Anti-Starfighter Battery, the original 88mm Mass Drivers were Hand Loaded! While some Republic tech crews were able to cobble up an Auto-Loading system for these weapons, they were notorious for their tendency to jam in combat. Corel & DuVal, however, has gotten around this problem with ease! In fact, in writing, C&D will refund 40% of the cost of the weapon system (Not including installation) if the system jams while using C&D Rounds!!! So far, noone has collected.

Corel & DuVal Auto-Smelter:
Skill: Starship Weapon Repair: Mass Driver
Cost: 1,500 Credits
Weight: 1 Metric Ton
Capsule: A smelting system that can accept various grades of Durasteel, and turn them into any calibre shell needed for any Corel & DuVal Mass Driver (Or their Old Republic versions, which may still be floating around out there somewhere). While they do sell the system, C&D does *NOT* guarantee Auto-Smelter Rounds to the same degree that they do their own, and if the autoloading system jams, they are not to be held responcible.
Game Notes: When using the Auto-Smelter, all you need is scrap metal, basically cutting the price of ammo in half, and allowing for an easy reload anywhere in the galaxy! (Durasteel works best, less dense metals will do less damage at GM's Discression). Upon a Critical Fail when using an Auto-Smelted Round, in addition to the game effect, the Autoloading system on the Mass Driver Jams, and requires an Easy Starship Weapons Repair roll to unjam, and the round that is jammed is ruined (Although, it can be dumped back into the Auto-Smelter!).

Last edited by Ray on Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those! Nice and cheap for the guys who like to smash everything! Twisted Evil
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Yep... Reply with quote

And, while they do less damage than Laser Cannons, the diameter of their muzzle is larger... Perfect for the "MINES BIGGER!!!" contests of intimidation!

Also good for compensating for something, but Corel and DuVal don't really advocate that part of it. (They got into the business because it was bloody expensive to ship Blaster Gas to their homeworld, and they remembered the problems when they were in the Planetary Militia...).
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't make an auto smelter to make um melee weapons do they? i always wanted to have a guy with vibro axes made from Steri Steel the surgical stuff!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Volo... Rigging them up to do anything but Smelt and Cast bullets would have made them too expensive...

They could be useful as a way of refining the metal, of course, but the weapon casting would be up to you...

That... And Vibroweapons require additional machinery to be added, beyond this simple device's abilities.

I'm pretty sure that you can special order something like that, anyhow...

Hmmmmmmmmm... A Pair of BlasTech ZH-500s with a Titanium-Gold Alloy finish... That would be nice... Ivory Handles, of course...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy there Patton.

Perhaps you may be able to jury rig something, if your GM will allow it…I mean there are rules for modifying weaponry if I recall.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but i like the idea of steri steel.. "Sir, did you know i can cut you and keep giving you a transfusion to keep you alive and you'll never ever get an infection quite nice don't you think chap?"

you manage a muffled reply that goes without understanding due to your gag and restraints..
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it it's from a novel?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steri steel? nope. its the steel used in all medpacs and surgical equipment there is some medical supply in Fantastic Tech that talks about it my quote is just from my head. a jack the ripper kinda guy. but only that particular voice.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I don’t have that book that would explain why I’m not familiar with it.

But back to mass drivers…I wonder if they can have the option of variable rounds…like AP or HEAP or something like that to give it extra punch.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i supose you could but then you add another variable i mean if it miss fires that round is going so fast in the barrel it would obliterate the driver.
im not all that big a fan of mass drivers. not with lasers etc but i could see the benifit in the outer rim to beable to have a weapon as long as you have power etc. there kinda old tech thats in between our tech and starwars tech. like rail guns and stuff.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of variable rounds for the mass driver… but then again that is probably because of the same reason I like the idea of variable rounds in firearms. They are both similar after a fashion, just on different scales.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if blaster tech and mass driver tech could be combined...

A mass driver round that is hollow and contains a form of 'battery'
The battery is charged up in a similar fashion to a blaster shot so when the round is fired it does impact damage and then the energy within the round is released for aditional damage...

More expensive

Custom build

But nice
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they have a crappy version of that...it's called a bowcaster. Wink
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True so if someone made that on a starship scale... and it was propelled by somthing other than a crossbow it should do a decent damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: