The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mass Drivers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Mass Drivers... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if Corel & DuVal have any of their fine Mass Drivers available for Capital Class ships. My group of PC's were so impressed with the last weaponry they bought that they we're interested in seeing if anything else was available for taking on the BIG ships. Twisted Evil

I don't think they're interested in buying just yet, but drooling over cool weaponry seems to be favorite way to spend the days in hyperspace.

~ phaedrus
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm impressed! Just imagining a group of PCs in a Freighter, travelling through hyperspace, drooling over the Corel & DuVal Ad in a "Blasters and Gas" magazine gives me a warm fuzzy...

*Gurgle*... No... That was breakfast... Oh well, it feels good nonetheless.

The problem with C&D making weapons for Capital Ships is that, well, if you're rich enough to own and maintain a Capital Ship, you're rich enough to get Blaster Gas (Hurrah II being an exception, as it's four stops away for the Gas Shipment, and there are richer fellows in between that are willing to pay top dollar for it.).

But, as Hurrah II has a few of it's Capital Ships retrofitted for Mass Drivers, as well as the Q-Wing Project, Corel & DuVal do have one Capital Scale Mass Driver weapon in (LIMITED!) production. The design dates back to Xim the Despot, and was pulled off of one of his ancient Cruisers that he found... "Somewhere".

It's stats differ slightly from the Q-Wing Pod, as it is back up to it's full power and barrel length. An "Auto-Smelter" is available for making 380mm Mass Driver shells, at the same price as the regular one, but it weights in at 2 Tons.

Corel & DuVal HV-C-380 380mm Capital Scale Mass Driver:
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery: Mass Driver
Fire Rate: 1
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 100-1.5/3.5/7.5 km
Damage: 4D+2 Capital
Cost: 12,500 Credits
Ammo Cost: 100/100 Shots
Weight: 15 Metric Tons
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the limpit model ammunition available in capital ship size?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also capital sized mass drivers should be large enough to launch mines...

The pirates who were previously sitting at a save distance see a minefield accelerating towards them...

Or if you had the mines equipped with repulsorlifts they could be set to stop a certain distance from where they were launched thus surrounding the ship that launched them
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limpits, yes. 380mm is a rather... Large projectile. (Let's see... ~2.54 cm to the Inch... 38 cm... That's almost 15 inches. And it's a SMOOTHBORE!!!).

For the mines, don't see why not... *BUT*, Repulsorlifts don't work in space. They're an "Anti-Grav" system. They only work when they have a large gravity well to work with (Planet/Star/Politicians Head/Other Ultra-Dense/Massive Objects).

My group uses a mix of Space Opera and Hard Science that leaves most people shaking their heads confused... I'm a Buff of reading *BOTH* types, another Player took Engeneering in College, a Math/Computer Wiz (Better than I!), and yet another... We have yet to find an area he doesn't know *ANYTHING* about yet, and finally...

Well... The less I say for my poor GM with his Grade 10 Mathematics, the better. He's got his areas, but hasn't read enough of "The Good Stuff" like I was pointed towards by Dear Ol' Dad (One of the ORIGINAL Sci-Fi Nerds in town!)...

He's getting better... He's finally read "The Hobbit", and I just might get him into Niven and Asimov yet Exclamation

Anyhow, just to make the "Purists" happy... C&D will have in Development the 406mm Mass Driver. Yes, it's a 16 Inch Deck Gun. It'll never be built, but it's on the books to be developed. Something to drool over in "Blasters & Gas".
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
For the mines, don't see why not... *BUT*, Repulsorlifts don't work in space. They're an "Anti-Grav" system. They only work when they have a large gravity well to work with (Planet/Star/Politicians Head/Other Ultra-Dense/Massive Objects).

Really then how do repolsor lifts work in this capacity? http://www.rancorpit.com/repulseHand.shtml

As for space opera + hard science thats how my group runs too... Sometimes we actually end up researching things just to see if they're plausable... Don't say roleplaying never taught you anything.

Anyway if the repulsorlifts idea wont work in space you may just need to use an idea similar to a tractor beam. it's either mounted in the ship that fired the mine or in the mine and it uses the superior mass or the ship to halt the mines distance at a preprogrammed distance from the ship...

The bonus of having a tractor beam built into the mine is that it can (after deployment) use the tractor beam to 'lock onto' other ships and 'pull' itself into them.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes place in a Gravity Field. Repulsorlifts "Bend" gravity waves. Usually, this is a 180 Degree Bend (Read: 'Pulsorlift Vechicles), but a few less (Or more, depending on your view) isn't that difficult to differentiate. It'll work in natural, or artificial gravity, but not in the depths of space (My group has a rule that that's 50+ Spacial Units away from a Planet, and 100 Units away from a Star. With some variation when the GM feels like being different, but never more than 20%.).

The "Repulse Hand" thrusts out a Gravity Wave from the "Palm" at a great velocity. This hits the target, who then goes flying (Kinda like those Bad Kung-Fu Movies that we all know and love... Darn it, it just might be worth the $20 a month for the "Drive-In" Channel).

But, with no gravity field to "Bend", no Field.

Frankly, it's a scary weapon for Star Wars... Particularily when other, better forms of prosthetics are available (Look at the Skywalker Family... What is it with them and lost limbs, anyhow?). This is something I'd see more in line with CyberPunk 2020 or Shadowrun (Where you can get retractable CHAINSAWS! Always wanted to get one of those, actually.).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
It takes place in a Gravity Field. Repulsorlifts "Bend" gravity waves. Usually, this is a 180 Degree Bend (Read: 'Pulsorlift Vechicles), but a few less (Or more, depending on your view) isn't that difficult to differentiate. It'll work in natural, or artificial gravity, but not in the depths of space (My group has a rule that that's 50+ Spacial Units away from a Planet, and 100 Units away from a Star. With some variation when the GM feels like being different, but never more than 20%.).

But, with no gravity field to "Bend", no Field.

Ah... My theory was that repulsorlifts created a field of energy that repelled things like a reversed tractor beam and the shape of the field dictated what the repulsorlift did. This meant that by my logic repulsorlift vehicles simply 'pushed' themselves up and along by repelling the ground and any other objects... I assumed that particle shields opperated on a similar principal but also were used to boost the structural integrity of the hull (spot the star trek jargon)...

Now that I think about it repulsorlifts like that still wouldb't help an object slow down in space without another object nearby to repel...

Pity if there were repulsorlifts that worked in the way I thought then you could create 'wake shots' with the mass drivers. The spheres would have repulsorlift generators within them and when they were fired the generaters would create a repulsion field around the shot. This means that targets would be hit by the field not the shot itself. No damage but your ship would buck or be able to register the hit. Great for friendly engagements and the shots could be collected and re-used afterwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: